Minor/Repaint: Classics/Universe Carnivac

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by BB Shockwave, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just finished today - I'll still need to get a Con reprolabels symbol for him though.

Classics Carnivac - The guy has been one of my all-time favourite Cons due to his Marvel UK comics role, where - years before Dinobot in BW - he played the role of the honorable Decepticon warrior finding himself on the Autobot side.

I have bought Cybertron Snarl a long time ago - one of the few Cybertron Beast Planet toys I liked - however I never liked his Weirdwolf repaint. G1 Weirdwolf was always more blocky and less organic as a wolf. Carnivac, on the other hand... So a few weeks ago I got down to repaint him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'lila' paint (acryl Deka 12-33) was perfect, it is exactly the same color as the original. I had to mix up the blue from a shiny and a matt blue paint, though. As for Carnivac's indescribable golden-brownish parts, I mixed up metallic copper paint with ochre to get it right. I also used white and red for the small details and the face/eyes.

I left the robot mode eyes unpainted, and painted only a portion of the backside of the helmet purple, so the light-piping still works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cyber key mechanism got a little more stiff due to the paint, so the mouth stays open even if I take the key out.

[​IMG]

Transformation:

[​IMG]

Wolf mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly a little comparison with the original 1988 Pretender!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the paint easily scrapes off the wolf legs where they bend, no matter how thin I left the paint there, and the matt purple seems a bit less durable as well. I might cover the whole with polish laquer later on.

Attached Files:

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very nice update, where it rubs, sand down the places into the plastic, and take away the touch points, should fix the problem

3. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

so when are you going to do cattila

4. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

You mean with sandpaper? Thanks, good idea. What do you mean by touch points, though?

Thought about that, but I just don't know whom I could use for basis. I immensly dislike the Leobreaker mold, only other I can think of is TM Cheetor but he's not sabertooth-like enough. Are there any non-TF transforming sabertooths?

I was planning - well, still am - to create their pretender shells in an updated, anthropomorphized form - I bought an Everquest Gnoll figure for Carnivac for this task, but I had to disregard the idea of actually hiding the robot inside the shell (I was thinking of using Overbite from the Predator mini-con team).

5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

That's a great update to an obscure US character. The color choices were spot-on and the wolf mode looks strikingly similar to the original. Do you have any plans to make a Pretender shell for it?

~Z

6. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Nice I've been working on mine as well it's nice to see some love as he was one of my faves as a kid. I did a Catilla a while back but decided to go for a different style later on.

7. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

That's still nice. Great update.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Fantastic update to one of my favoret charicters of all time, glad I'm not the only one that saw BW dinbot and though hey they are re doing carnivacs story.

9. Giga Leo

Giga Leo I know and you know...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simple and VERY effective, I like the way this turned out!

What about the Beast Machines Night Slash Cheetor mold? Though not a sabertooth, he's got a pretty solid robot mode that might make for a nice update. Or if you wanted to stick with the semi-organic look to compliment Carnivac, what about the TM2 Cheetor mold?

10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Very nice. I love the update.

11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw BW, too! :) 

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

I'll check night slash Cheetor, I have never seen that mold in-hand. TM2 is a bit too organic for Universe style. I'll also keep an eye on KOs, sometimes you can find pretty good TFs there.

12. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Excellent work on a lesser used character.

13. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Wow. This is very cool.

14. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Carnivac was my favorite character from the old UK run, he was amazing, loved his story, may have to read it again. This is a great update.

For Catilla how about TM2 Cheetor, he has big teeth?

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This one is really nice! I think this is a great concept, and I'd love to see an official release.

If you didn't use Future, I highly recommend it. I think there are some very minor paint issues, but certainly nothing that can't be fixed. I'm a bit torn on the sculpt details: a part of me wants to encourage you to bring some of them out, but another part of me wants to tell you to just leave it painted as is.

At any rate, I think this is a really nice piece :thumb 

16. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, an official release would be nice... I have been waiting for Hasbro to repaint Snarl into something meaningfull, but apart from the Botcon toy they never did so.

What did you mean by 'future', btw? I did paint a few of the 'tubes' gold, I was thinking on painting the 'fur' part of the sculpt some darker shade of purple, but ultimately decided against it as I thought it'd ruin the resemblance.

Here's a thought... I could use some more classics-shaped feline toy, like TM1 Cheetor (I have the Armada version), and give him TM2 Cheetor's head... I will look into it. Gotta find a junker Tm2 cheetor first, though - I have TM2 Ravage (Tripredacus agent) and I certainly won't salvage that kitty for parts.

17. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your Carnivac's wolf mode looks really good.

Have you considered using putty for the saber fangs of your upcoming Cattila project? It could work, even if they're just small fangs.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214559-all-you-wanted-know-about-future-finish.html

:thumb 

19. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, Superquad7! I think this thing is sold as "Pronto" in Hungary. Will look it up definetly!

Shelfwarmercon - I am experimenting currently with putty that dries on air (I'm modelling/resculpting a D&D gargantuan dragon mini). That could work for the fangs.

20. Carnivac

Carnivac Survivor

hey that's pretty cool. I did a repaint of the same mold as Carnivac a couple years ago though went less for G1 toy accuracy and more comic and my own sorta details and some movie style drybrushing and tried to make the wolf form color layour more like a real wolf or husky (I had a siberian husky growing up and I have another Cyb Snarl I'm gonna paint in black & grays to look somewhat like my old dog). Haven't finished it properly (and I'm only an amateur so it's not great but I like it) and not got around to sanding down the joints so the paints been rubbing off there. Mine is here. The colors appear a bit off in the photo. The purple is slightly more 'reddish' in real life and the tan looking color is a bit darker and more 'real looking' on the actual figure too.

On the subject of Catilla I bought a Transmetal Cheetor off ebay back then also but not got round to repainting it at all. I really do feel it's the best mold for the character though and being around the same size as Cyb Snarl he does look great next to my Carnivac repaint. I just gotta move some place I can get some peace and quiet. I gave up on the painting for a while due to stress reasons caused by noisy neighbours and difficult to keep a steady hand when in that state.

Anyways real nice work on your repaint. Love seeing characters better known from the Marvel UK comics get some attention.