Customs: Classics/Universe Bludgeon

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CryoPrime, Sep 16, 2009.

1. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Hi guys, I've never done a custom before, and I am thinking about buying a Cybertron Unicron to make a Classics Bludgeon based off of Josh's design

[​IMG] which is amazing by the way.
    (if I'm not giving credit to him in the correct way please let me know)

I want to base the color scheme off of his colors there, but a little simplified, since this would be my first project. I want to use the yellow/orange that's already there I think since it would save me time. I have a few questions first though.

How hard would this mold be to take apart? is he full of pins?

What kind of paints should I look into? I want him to look like he is a real Hasbro Classics figure, so nothing too fancy.

so here's a quick digi-bash I did of his head, something similar to this.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

1) He has a s***load of pins.

2) Going by your digibash, and the concept art, i'd say Games Workshop Astronomican Gray would be a close match. Do you want the green to be realistic tank-ish green? GW Catachan Green. Otherwise, pretty much any dark green should do.

3) What about the shoulders? Even if you stick with the original yellow/orange, the shoulders still aren't the right colour, so you're gonna need paint for that as well.

And, of course, the obligatory direction to the tutorials, which are thatta way -->.

3. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

thanks, okay so he does have a lot of pins.... crap. Well I better get to the tutorials. haha I tried to take pins out of a Storm Surge once and we couldn't get them to go anywhere... haha thanks for the color suggestions, but where would I get those? and are they paints I would have to brush on?

4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I actually did a custom Bludgeon based (somewhat loosely) on that artwork
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/205742-cybertron-bludgeon.html

I'd suggest...
    - sanding down some of the more obvious rub-spots (notice the paint chipping mine has in the front?)
    -spray it with a primer , let that fully cure
    -transform it a bit to see if you missed any spots that are rubbing, sand and repaint those spots if there are any
    - Buy yourself some decent brushes and some Games Workshop (GW) paint (I think Snot Green might be a close match to the artwork).

You should be able to find good brushes and GW paint at a local hobby store (particurlarly those that have an emphasis on tabletop gaming)

Good luck!

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Should probably mention that GW's just one of many brands, and it's much better to experiment for yourself, to see what works best for you.

Also, you know whether you'll use enamels or acrylics or lacquers or...?