Minor/Repaint: Classics Ultra Magnus, with a twist

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Very nice. I wanted to do something like this, but once I saw the FP armor, I was like why?
    I do wish that IF they wanted to do UM as a Prime repaint, they would still give him his individual head.

3. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Glad my work helped inspire you a bit, my friend! This does look good with the FP armor also. And while I love that armor (I have one also), I really dig the custom work you did on Magnus more.

Contact Ptitvite--he had some of these a while back, just not sure if he still does casts of them or not. I like your head, but I also think your custom would look so much better with the MyClone head. Your Ultra Magnus custom was the inspiration for mine, bro. I tried to do mine more along the 'toon style and yours looks like a more updated version of that. Not sure if I ever mentioned that in my original thread or not. I mean, there were a few that inspired a bit, but yours was closer to G1 and really pushed me to do that as my first custom.

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks again to everyone.

Hey, I have a question to any of you that have worked on the armor itself. Does anyone know the exact shade of blue paint used on City Commander? I took the plunge and decided to paint his eyes in fluorescent blue, and I've had to correct a few times. In doing so, I'm wearing some of the blue off the helmet. The silver for his face is an easy fix (Tamiya silver leaf) but I don't know if anyone knows where to get that exact blue from.

See, this was why I didn't want to try and paint the armor--and I should have known better here, too. :eek: 

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hard to tell if it's an exact match, but Testors Acryl Bright Blue worked great when I touched up my City Commander's helmet. I also tested a bit on the arms and plan to use the Testors Acryl Bright Blue to repaint most of the armor (eliminating the excess red all over the arms and some of the silver areas). I haven't done much to my City Commander armor, but I did remove the face and do some resculpting on the plastic with my hobby knife--sculpted it more like G1 Ultra Magnus. Next up is just the painting, whenever I actually find time to hit it.

7. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

This repaint just has me going "why didn't Habro/Takara do this?!". It is EXACTLY what they should have produced instead of another white Prime (considering the original was only because they had to have a way to go from white truck to Ultra Magnus). This custom is so good it looks more legit to me than the City Commander set does.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is certainly no slam on this artist's work (as he knows I am a fan of his work) or any other, but I am one of those who like the "white Prime" mode of Ultra Magnus. I'm glad we got what we did, but I'm also glad to see work like this, too. :) 

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think you did an awesome job. It looks like Ultra Magnus and with the CC armor it looks like Magnus again, but he's f'n huge now. So thats wicked.

10. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

this one i dont even know how to compliment it

11. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

dude man i was about to pay $300+ for that armor but seeing your custom has saved me (not that the armors bad just expensive) im gonna borrow your idea if thats ok, btw where can i get a copy of the head you used?

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Very good work! my only issue is the red stripe in the front of the cab in vehicle mode.
    it would fit better if that part were still blue, and it would have looked ok on the bot mode as well.

Add me to the list of folks who would love one of them heads! that looks fantastic!

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I didn't care for the red showing in truck mode and thought it would have worked better with that part blue. That was until I saw the shot with the trailer attached. Since it has red showing up front, it helped even them out. Looks really good now. I like it. :thumb 

14. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Great job on Ultra magnus !

15. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    need head naooow :D  EPIC!

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah, that red stripe showing always bugged me, but I didn't want to paint it blue. I WAS going to do similarly to what I did with his roof trim--continue the red into the side frames and make a designed stripe or something. But I'm fine with him as is.

As for the head, it's from a Myclone Ultra Magnus. The rubber mold I used has gotten pretty shot--both eyes have broken up now, and it never molds his antennae no matter what. But if anyone's looking for the head, that's the one to use. I made a cast of it simply because the actual Myclone head is a soft rubber I wasn't able to paint. Got the idea off one of the other board members who made their own Magnus repaint and used that particular head (hXcpunk23). Had to try it myself after I saw it in use. :) 

17. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of interest could i my clone head be used to upgrade the head on city comander armour its self? They look like they could be pretty similar in size

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Cool idea! :)