Minor/Repaint: Classics Ultra Magnus, with a twist

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

So, this has been a project in the making since before the Fansproject armor came out. I saw someone here use a Myclone Magnus head and paint him up in U.Mags colors, and I decided to give it a go myself.

Since the Myclone head couldn't really be painted with what I wanted to use, I made a cast of it and used that. Couldn't get the antennae to cast no matter what I did, so I made casts of a gun rifle's tip and made some new ones. I cut off the "neck" portion of the head the toy came with and attached it to the Myclone head cast, so it fits naturally in place. Some paint apps in areas of my choosing, a couple of mods, and done! (Some years later anyway :D  )

So, here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did everything I could to make sure I kept the truck mode in the original white/blue scheme, and to make sure it 'assembled' cleanly. The only thing I really couldn't help was the red trim you can see in the front, but it doesn't bother me much.

The original scheme had the blue stripe on the sides and that was all. So I decided to wrap the blue around back. It was mostly for the sake of the arms in bot mode, but it helps make the blue feel completed and filled as a result.

[​IMG]

Since I wanted everything to match, I painted him in a different blue (the closest as well as most appealing shade to me that I could find). So the new and old blue schemes are the same. To make the blue trim at the front of the cab and around the windshield (painted to accent the robot mode more) feel more like it belonged there, I continued the trim onto the panel parts that fold up around his arms. Simple enough effect, but it all meshes together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem with the head (really from the antenna) is that it causes the wind vein to stick up just a bit. I drilled out part of the plastic where his head sits to let it sit further in, but I could only get it down so far. It's not so bad, but doesn't look that way in the pictures.

Now, on to the robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the paint scheme is a mix of G1 Ultra Magnus and what I decided was feasible in keeping odd color mixes out of the truck form (mostly the red, but also things like his shoulders being all blue and looking like a strange 'block' of blue on the sides of his alt mode). Here, you can see where the blue trim above the windshield is more effective. I think I did well enough blending everything together to make both forms work.

More pics, with close ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head was a bit rough; a combination of the cast I made as well as the paint. Still looks nice enough. For the chest, I ground out the grill/abs because it was a bit too much of an Optimus Prime thing. I replaced it with a styrene square and a piece from some tree of Zoid parts that looked good as a bit of a centerpiece. It gives him his own look, I think. :) 

[​IMG]

(I like how the blue wraps around his arms now from the original blue and silver side streaks from his truck mode)

[​IMG]

Back shot. There's a lot more white to this guy than your usual "Ultra Magnus." But as I said, it helps keep the alt mode genuine:

[​IMG]

And now for the twist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had decided to do this Magnus before the armor even came out in pictures, as I said before. And I wasn't entirely sure I was going to pick it up until towards the end (and someone posted something where one of the groups was selling it just before release for $5 less? I can't remember how much, but I jumped...) But afterwards, I thought it was a pretty cool idea if Magnus still looked like "Magnus" even without his armor. I never liked the idea that he was a white Optimus Prime--it seriously takes away from Optimus in that way. But the armor idea was still pretty cool. So I figured, why not finish what I planned, and go this way with him. Yup, even with the new Myclone head, (and thankfully due to the carving out of some of the plastic frame where the Myclone head needed to fold into) the armor fits.

[​IMG]

If you look back, you'll see that the "white Prime" Magnus' front arms have white spots. Those are the parts the armor uses to hook in place, and it would wear the paint during trial suiting-ups. So I scraped the paint off and left them evenly white. The rest of the toy doesn't get scratched except for around the legs, but the paint seems to really hold on these parts. Not sure why, though it helps there's blue plastic underneath it all if it ever does scratch--even if it's a different shade.

More back shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cab-Magnus' red paint is a different shade than the brighter red of the armor, but I like how it fills in the character's color a little more. (technically, the cab-Magnus' BLUE is different too, so whatever :D  )

[​IMG]

I'm happy with how he turned out. Hope you guys like him too!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Nice! Turns out very well man! Like it! :) 

3. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    second that. that does look awesome

4. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks awesome man! nice mods

5. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very awesome, I had similar plans for this mold way before the armor was announced.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice and cool that it still works with the armor. The only thing is that the red looks a little thick. That's being a little picky though. Nice shade but looks thick.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    on ething: repaint the red apps on the citycommander upgrade with you red, this will fit better :) 

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, it's actually a rather light coat. ESPECIALLY on his legs. I did coat him in Pledge Future to keep it sealed. That might be making it look thicker than it is.

I've been debating this. I'm scared to death of altering my City Commander Armor with the worry I might screw it up. The darker red would certainly work throughout, but I think I'm too chicken for it. :eek: 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your history of excellent work continues. My favorite part of this is the different shade of red you used. I think it looks very nice in City Commander mode, as I like the subtle contrast. :thumb 

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Dude, you need to repro that head. Or sell it to someone for reproing. Classics OP mold lends itself pretty close for an UM body, but that head sells the whole idea.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

That is actually genius.

12. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Agree on getting your red onto the armor! if to scared commission it to somebody?

13. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

EPIC! :bay  :bay  :drool: 

Wow dude that looks awesome. You really did a good job with both his bot and alt mode, and the new head rocks!

14. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

all those lazy Ultra Magnus's we've gotten in the last few years should have been this!

15. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Red is just one of those colors that always looks thick in pictures. I've done repaints where my red was just one coat of white (as a base/primer) and one coat of red with a paint pen, and it still looked thick when photographed.

Nice job on the custom. I always like to see people's takes on converting this mold. Head does look nice, that was the one part of my Ultra Magnus bash that I never really cared for.

The only thing that bugs me a bit on yours is that the windvane appears to be two different shades of blue.

16. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

i like it. i did this for maximo prime back in '07 but with white legs. i always wondered what the red would look like. did you ball joint the head or did you just leave it removable? i balljointed mine but you have to turn the head sideways to tf it, luckily the windvane on top covers it up.

17. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

IMO i like it having to diffrent shades of red it gives it more depth to me

18. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah. One of the things I was going to note is it doesn't tend to look that shiny or 'thick' in person. I guess that's just the way it looks on camera.

I noticed that post-pictures. I just need to recoat that front section (Problem with the blue is it's spray paint. Sometime I cheat and spray some into a cup and apply by brush as fast as I can before it dries. There's never a guarantee that it mixes properly when I do that)

I actually cut the neck/peg from the "White Prime" head, cut a cylindrical groove under the Myclone head, used two-part epoxy and put it all together. Then I repinned the head to the platform using the original pin. It's good and sturdy--the epoxy would have to give for it to come off.

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I never get tired of seeing Ultra Magnus done with this mold.....nice work, bro! The colors look great and I love how the alt mode looks pretty much the same as the original. I also like the mid-section mods. Keep up the great work, man!

My very first custom was a G1-styled Ultra Magnus from this mold, using the MyClone head. That head works great on this (got mine from Alyosha baxk in November of '07). Here's the one I did, but looking back on it, I know I could do better with it (I don't care much for the alt mode on mine, but I love the bot mode).

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/207055-classics-ultra-magnus-g1-style.html

20. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

i did mine in jan ha ha