Classics Ultra Magnus, what would you do differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ger_Hankey, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I had high hopes with this line that Hasbro would for once not go for a straight white repaint for Ultra Magnus, but alas, it was not to be. Its a shame really.

It got me thinking though, what could they do? Its either a case of:

1. A whole new mould, because I don't think the trailer/armour thing would be practical with the Optimus Prime mould (things like the doors on the arms would get in the way), or

2. A retooling of Prime to make it more Ultra-Magnus like. Something simple like a different head (with a mouth) and a few kibble-bits here and there. Maybe a bit of red & blue added to the all-white colours.

Personally, I'd like it to have been 1, (something along the lines of RID Ultra Magnus) but I'd settle for 2 too. He is a pretty improtant character in the TF mythos, don't you think he deserves a bit more love??

What do you all think?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'd make either a new mould, or a setof armour for the one we already have. I have no intention of buying lazyass repaints.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I hate how it has been accepted that ultra Magnus is just a white prime. I don't think it was ever intended that way, it was a bad taste left by Dream Wave.

I loved the UM from the RID line. The classics should have done a whole new mold for him because the g1 version never did it justice.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'd give him his armor! I really don't like these basic white Magnus repaints, because, honestly, the Ultra Magnus that I remember was a big red-white-and-blue car carrier. RID got it right; the repaints fall short.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

A trailer/armor setup would be ideal, but I'd also be happy with, as someone mentioned, a slight retooling. Just give him a different head and some shoulder pylons of some sort, and that's good enough for me. (It never really made sense that his ARMOR would have a face, while his INNER form would have a mouthguard.... you've think it would be the other way around).

I don't mind the albino Primes, though..... I think they look neat. I love my MP-02 and Bendy Magnus.

Actually, I think they should make a distinction between Magnus and ULTRA Magnus.... maybe release the former as a white Prime, and the latter as a white Prime with armor.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

well, since we will probably never see a /new/ UM mold, i say go the way of G1 and make a separate piece of armor for him - a set of armor pieces that snap onto the current mold and gives it more posability (i'm thinking along the lines of the additional armor pieces that are added onto jetfire here), and can then be put together as a car carrier for the alt mode

8. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Everybody's always so obsessed with Magnus being a Prime with armor. Such a Gee Wunner attitude. RiD/Carrobots did do it right, but since Hasbro and Takara are so repaint happy anyway, what's the harm. Better than every Prime repaint being a Nemmy, or odd "just-barely" repaints like Cybertron Blactimus Prime.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

that's because he was never shown in the TV show or original comics an anything but the armored mode. It wasn't until this horrid DW comics came a long and tried to alter something that was set in stone for more then 20 years by showing his armor getting blasted off. I hated that issue. It's like they were trying to give credability to the slew of recent white prime magnus repaints.

Personally, for the classics line, I really thought if they did a magnus it would have been done right, not just a quicky repaint. Oh well.

10. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I'd have done this, mostly because it would allow Hasbro to show a little creativity and yet retain the element of 'kinship' between the two characters.

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

anything other then a damn prime repaint. what did this was all the people who bought that damn MP- 02 Magnus.

12. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

In a perfect world, I would've preferred to see a whole new mould. However, I really would've enjoyed just seeing the simple inclusion of some trailer armour. It would've given him something to differentiate him from Prime, and also make him a perfect throwback to G1 Magnus.

What perplexes me is that they seem to frequently give Prime a set of trailer clothes, but almost never (if at all) go that route with UM (even if it is a hell of a lot more appropriate for him, especially for a line like Classics).

At the very least, they could've given him a new head, or some other small remouldings to make him seem like something more than "a white Prime". Having a simple repaint just feels a tad lazy to me.

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say number 1, as it would fit better. The original toy was a white prime with armor that turned into a car carrier. The classic version should recreate that the best they can. It would be easiest to do this by making a new Magnus mold. Make his cab/robot form all white and fairly simple and make his trailer change into a big suit of armor. They could even use a similar transformation from the original toy by making use of the old 'arms fold in' trick. The only thing that would need any majoy retooling would be the feet, everything else would just need a little bit more articulation and a few more folding panels.

Though this could only work if he could actually carry other Autobot cars in the trailer while in truck mode. =P

14. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

if I couldn't get a new mold out of it, perhaps as a trailer for prime(kinda like god/apex bomber but without turning into addons and thus being a legoformer), I'd at least include some clip on boots/gauntlets/shoulderpads/helmet/chestplate to help make him different, make the stuff somehow form a little drone vehicle, and stick it on a short flatbed trailer, that could be held like a riot shield... *pictures armored magnus ducking behind the shield in between introducion 'cons to that airfoil-boomstick that the classics prime mold has* yeeeaaah, that'd rock.

15. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Well Classics are G1 updated. so it would of been nice to have seen UM done right for once and sure RID Magnus was cool and all but he's no G1 UM.

I'll have to strongly agree with that. This repainting Prime white and calling him Um is lazy and crap. I was really hoping they were going to do him right, but maybe next time.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've never felt any sort of attatchment to Ultra Magnus so I wouldn;t have made a Classics version in the first place, but it would be awesome if they could somehow make clip on armor for him...I don't care if it's "ExAktlee Lyke G On3!" but a new head and red and blue armor bits would make it better than just a repaint. I'll happily buy that 2-Pack just for Skywarp though. Crafty Hasbro, packing a subpar white repaint with the best TF color scheme ever...crafty:drunk 

17. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm pretty open to either option, but I am not happy with a straight repaint. I normally don't care for them at all, except for a few character sets (like the Seekers).

Maybe instead of the Magnus in the 2-Pack, they could have released him with a trailer/armor set at the same price point.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    High hopes that Hasbro for once would not go for a straight white repaint for Ultra Magnus?

You know... there's been lots and lots of talk about Classics UM and I think people really need to get in touch with reality a bit when they talk about Hasbro doing straight white repaints as Magnus.

Before now, the straight white repaints Hasbro has done as Ultra Magnus include:
    Universe Battle in a Box Ultra Magnus
    and
    and...

oh... and THAT'S IT! Hasbro has done it a grand total of ONE time before. There is no Alternator Ultra Magnus thus far. MP Magnus and "Battle" Magnus were Takara products.

Other Hasbro-released Ultra Magnuses:
    G1: repaint plus trailer/armor
    RID: entirely new mold
    RID spychanger: entirely new mold
    Universe: repaint of RID mold
    Universe spychanger: repaint of RID mold
    Energon: mostly BLUE repaint of Overload (and happens to look great with BiaB UM)

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well I would like to have classic Prime in hand before I really comment on this but from what I can see classic prime could be transformed very much his G1 self in the Magnus armour so couldn’t a set of armour be made to work around that.

20. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Even though a lot of people seem unhappy with UM as a Prime repaint, I don't mind that much, aside from thinking he could have used a new head.

It's easily forgotten that two Prime molds exist in Classics, and having Ultra Magnus alongside the smaller Prime won't look as cheap as stacking the Voyager Prime and UM would. Plus, with all that armor, Ultra Magnus was a bit bigger than Prime, right? Having him as a Voyager repaint is a clever way to keep some attempt at scale between the two characters.

And that's not to say having armor for UM wouldn't be nice, but I was never expecting it.