Minor/Repaint: Classics Tundercracker and Dirge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rotorstorm, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes, i am yet another of the poor saps who could not afford to get the Botcon set so i decided to make my own. Thundercrakcer is going to be a straight repaint of Starscream but different from the Botcon version But for Dirge i plan on altering his wings and different arm guns to make him more like the G1 original

I only started on this project today and Started with the more straight forward Thundercracker.

WIP Thundercracker pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note that unlike the Botcon version i have decided to give him an updated version of his original colour map much in the same way as Starscream with Black on his tailfins and additional red upon his sidefins.

Dirge WIP Pic

[​IMG]

I've removed the tailfins and plan on fixing them to the sides of his upper wings and filling the holes with Greenstuff. i also hope to make the new fis to fit onto the end of each wing. The only reason i am not planning on doing a Thrust is because i have not found another Ramjet yet. When i do i'll start figuring out how i'm going to go about it.

2. SonRay

SonRay Banned

There is simply NO SHAME in making your own TC. Paying $150+ for one deluxe size figure is just insane and the biggest rip off of the century so anyone who can make their own more power to them! Im gonna do one of my own now too.

Yours look good so far, well done, cant wait to see more.

3. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WIP Dirge Pics, i got bored so i decided to get on with altering the Ramjet for Painting. i needed to keep checking him as the greenstuff didn't set straight away and kept drooping. It's dry now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cuters

cuters Diabolist

looking good if i may make one suggestion krylon fusion thats what i used on all three of my cutom botcon set
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Cartoon Thundercracker colors, blech! Otherwise, looking good on making those customs.

I assume you're going to sand all the droopy parts on Dirge before you paint.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

You cant buy that in the UK.

7. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Is there something wrong with TC cartoon colors? I only ask as i will be doing some soon and i want the paint scheme to be the most appealing to the masses so i want to know what paint scheme people prefer on TC.

8. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I much prefer the G1 toy color as opposed to the cartoon but I can't speak for others. I used Tamiya Mica Blue for mine, nice color that matches the G1 toy perfectly.

9. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Tamiya mica blue eh? I'll write that one down just incase.

10. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of the Mica Blue on my custom TC using skywarp as the base. Thundercracker (board poster) painted 2 diff ones, one with starscream as the base and one with skywarp as the base and the skywarp came out a perfect match to the G1 because the mica colors are metallic and have a degree of opacity so they are affected by the color underneath.

11. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I admit the darker colour does look nicer. I may have to go find another Starscream to paint in that and then sell on the one i like least.

The colour is the one i'll be using on Dirge too so it might be the lighter one i sell on.

12. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I prefer show-accuracy, but *shrug*. Cool TC!!

13. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Just don't forget to file that greenstuff, to make it a nice flat surface. It'll look like sh*t all bumpy.

14. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Yes, trouble is Skywarp is practically impossible to find for a decent price these days, starscreams are still a dime a dozen. Im gonna prime mine before i paint it anyway.

15. Dark Magnus

Ebay:
    I just prefer the toy colors to the cartoon colors myself. But don't paint YOUR Thundercracker for the masses, paint it in the style you want it. The masses don't want you to have a classics Thundercracker, you do, so do it for yourself and damn those who don't like it.

16. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Well, im going to be doing two, one for me and one to sell to try and recoup my costs so i want to make whatever appeals the most to people.

Since the classics seekers dont have G1 accurate designs and instead added their own little classics line twists to the paint apps i might do something similar to that, whilst using the botcon ripo-...i mean "exclusive" figure for referance.

17. Dark Magnus

Ebay:
    That's my only gripe about my botcon Thundercracker is that his paint apps are a direct copy of G1 instead "classics" style like Starscream, Skywarp and Ramjet.

18. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

just waiting for the second coat of silver to dry and then i'm going to do some touchups, add detail for his tail fins and paint his guns.

19. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Cool man....I had the same idea for altering Ramjets tailfins for Dirge....if I can ever get around to actually doing my customs...I've only had the extra Starscreams and Ramjets since February :(