Minor/Repaint: Classics Trailbreaker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Feb 14, 2011.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Just wanted a Trailbreaker that was in scale with all my other classics. I still have to add paint apps and weathering to him, but the mods are all done. I used the HFTD Ironhide and modded the neck (with a dremel) so it would come up further to allow clearance and raise the new head up. The head is a RTS Jazz head with the side horns dremeled off and visor painted red. The bed canopy/rocket launcher turret comes from a HFTD Hailstorm and is attached with a rare earth magnet. It will also attach to his truck bed in alt. mode for a canopy. I got some labels coming in from Reprolabels for his "classics" look. It's funny, but I like how his proportions in my incarnation are alot like his G1 toy!Alt. mode pics up soon, now sleepy......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. t.for.transform

t.for.transform Well-Known Member

Looks great so far, best Trailbreaker yet IMO... Any alt mode pics?

3. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Nice to see Trailbreaker getting some love. :D 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Wow, who knew Trailbreaker packed so much firepower? Nice work, the Jazz face is an innovative twist that actually kinda works. Clever use of the Hailstorm gear, too, and looking forward to seeing how it integrates into his alt mode.

5. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Looks great. How well does the launcher fit in truck mode, ie size wise?

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Not bad... I was on the fence about this HFTD Ironhide just because he's so damn TINY and awkward looking, but this looks cool. I'd be tempted to put some silver touches on his missle launchers, to link to them to the rest of the figure more. Right now, they're so black, that they don't really integrate as well aesthetically. I never saw Trailbreaker as that much of a firepower king either, but I have to say, those missile blocks do look cool! :) 

zmog

7. wheeljack2010

Pretty well actually. I have to put the launchers out to the side, but everything lines up pretty much perfect. I want to eventually find a way to make the launchers just peg in on the sides (so it can look like a "normal" SUV), but as it stands, it makes him sorta look like the "nascar wreckers" from the new movie. These pics will be up soon. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

8. wheeljack2010

Pics of alt mode are now up. I took pics of several different positions for the canopy. there's about less than a 1/4" gap where it attaches to the truck bed, which could be eliminated if I cut the swivel turret off (but I would lose the up/down movement and surface to air missile capability). Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress and I have alot of painting to the Ironhide mold and canopy(primered only).

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Gotta say, that's looking pretty cool. Just a thought, but since it's not really a pickup anymore, would it help at all to remove the smokestacks?

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I'll try and snap some shots for ya later, but it's really easy (just a bit of cutting) to get Deluxe Ironhide transformed into bot-mode while keeping the truck front-end one solid piece. Might help a bit with moving this guy from Movie to Classics aesthetic.

Also, wondering how much trouble it would be to resize your pics before uploading. I'm never on too terribly slow a connection (generally faster than DSL) and it still takes a good long while for all the pictures to download.

11. wheeljack2010

@ Ramrider-
    Yeah actually they will be coming off shortly, as I just got a 4x4 matchbox car with some nice in-scale lights to add to the top. These will be detachable bits for the alt mode.

@Kouri-
    Cool man! I was going to try something like that initially, but thought it would interfere with the transformation. That would help alot to make it more of a "classics" feel. yeah, if you could snap some pics of how it's done, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks guys!

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Ok this is pretty cool, but I think it still requires a proper paintjob for the actual Trailbreaker style.

13. SwitchPrime

SwitchPrime Wrecker

Ebay:
    Cool, Love the alt mode

14. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Man, it always takes me days longer to pull these things together than I intend... anywho, let's see how well this does without Before pics.

1) This is the most important part. You'll need to chop a piece of plastic off the neck piece. This bit prevents the windshield from folding back and stops the chest from collapsing while the head's up.
    [​IMG]

2) From here on out, it's just shaving plastic to correct clearance issues. We'll start with a hinge in the chest that the shoulder will bump into...
    [​IMG]

3) And also the shoulder piece that bumps...
    [​IMG]

4) And finally cut out some more plastic on the neck piece to give the chest hinges some room.
    [​IMG]

As for the final outcome you can check the in-progress Huffer at the bottom left:
    [​IMG]

And before anyone asks, no, Dlx Ironhide isn't -that- small, I made a few more mods to the legs to bring the height down. No more info on that until I figure out the waist swivel. He won't transform without it.

Attached Files: