Heavy/Scratch: Classics Trailbreaker Ver. 2.0 WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by spoonman, Aug 11, 2009.

1. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Video Update Classics Trailbreaker Ver. 2.0 WIP

UPDATE
    YouTube - Custom Classics Trailbreaker Instructions by Spoonman

Hey all!
    This is a commission for Destrongerlupus! I just want to say thanks to him for giving me the opportunity for this and allowing me total creative freedom. This has been my favorite project to date and without a doubt my most intricate!
    As you can see he's being constructed from Animated Ratchet. The goal is to eradicate EVERY trace of Animated design to introduce him to the classics world. I feel very strongly that I have accomplished that. Robot mode aside, the changes to vehicle appearance have been subtle but tedious. He is taller now so I had to extend the door panels. I added full windows to the front doors. Will be adding rear cab windows and removing the "storage" door below. I have added a grill, leveled off the headlights, removed the lower brush guard and running boards to "raise" the vehicle some as well as round off the wheel well trim. I also added Classics Ironhides tires because ratchets were too smooth and, well, Animated.
    I worked a really cool door mod so that the side panels do not protrude up like Ratchets. They are now attached to the backs of his forearms for a true G1 Trailbreaker look. Plus the Hun-gurr head from my original Classics Trailbreaker custom will be re-cast and used for this.
    I have a bit more fine tuning to do, cleaning up and neatening, but the transformation process is complete and perfect. After I bulk up the cap to accomodate his new arms and hands he will be ready to paint.
    Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is very nice.

3. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice animated Ratchet was the base at first.

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

That looks extremely seamless. :) 
    Who's been used for the arms?

5. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

Bottom half is Universe Ironhide/Ratchet. Top half has got me. Is that head cast something you might consider selling to someone if you made another? I know someone that might be interested....:p 

Either way, the work put into this is very well done. I've struggled to come up with a way to do this to animated Ratchet for a little while now, and you nailed it. Especially with the way the front end folds down for bot mode, this figure looked like it belonged to Trailbreaker and Hoist to start. Great job thus far!

6. spoonman

Yup, lower arms are Ratchet/Ironhide and the upper arms were Universe/Classics Scavenger. Below his knees are two holes that I utilized for the door panel to peg into for a parts-forming free figure. I'll post that later ;) 

7. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow. this looks great. my jaw literally dropped. it works so well.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work so far, spoonman! This really makes me want to pick up a Ratchet to do something similar. I really dig the mods so far and as someone above said, this looks seamless. Looking forward to seeing more, bro!

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I am SOOOO glad you took on this project!

I love the progress you've made since I last saw it! This is LITERALLY a perfect execution of my best-case-scenario + about 50% cooler!

I am just speechless!

We are DEFINITELY going to have to do a few more builds together after this!
    D/L

10. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

Holy crap! It took me quite some time to find that those upper arms are actually the upper legs from Scavenger! The more and more I look at your work the more impressed I am with the out of the box thinking involved. Very awesome indeed!

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Great job!! You'd really never know it was TFA Ratchet as a base! Can't wait to see paint on this bad boy!:thumbs2: 

12. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

wow, that's looking amazing

13. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

that vehicle mode is one heck of a winner! :thumb 

14. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Great work! Cant wait to see this finished. By the way, how did you configure the hingd pannels to be on the back of his arms?

15. spoonman

Hey, thanks! I started typing a response to that but I thought it was easier to post a video showing how it works.
    Here's the link: YouTube - Custom Classics Trailbreaker Instructions by Spoonman

16. Satomiblood

You should totally go for a 3rd Trailbreaker using the Armada Red Alert mold.

17. spoonman

That alt mode would be sweet but I think the bot mode is too far from the original. And believe me, after I finish him up I am taking a trail"Break" from the character! lol

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Ahahaha I always thought about buying an Animated Ratchet to make Trailbreaker/Hoist. The transformation was so close to the original to ignore.

I, ultimately, really had no idea how to go about it if I were going to do it though, so I have to commend this. Awesome stuff and I can't wait to see how this goes.

19. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Great idea on the arm mods. Hope you dont mind if I give this a try with a little twist. My aim is to do everything pritymuch the same but change the front/hood of Animated Ratchet with Classics Ratchet. What do you think? IS it ok?
    P.S. Anyway of getting some closeup picks of the mod?

20. Satomiblood

Surely, you could do what you're doing with the Animated Ratchet mold and make the necessary mods to make that mold look more like the original.