Minor/Repaint: Classics Tigertrack & Diaclone Red Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Solscud007, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I swapped Sideswipe's parts with Sunstreaker to make Tigertrack and Sideswipe.

It is a very easy swap.

Tools:
    small phillips screwdriver (+)
    soldering iron
    needlenose pliers

1. Transform both into robot mode
    2. Unscrew the upper thighs, from the back side. Do one side for both bots. i.e left side first, swap lower legs, then screw back together. Then do the right side. That way you wont get parts mixed up.
    3. pop off canopy and swap.
    4. unscrew part under front bumper to remove arms. again do one side first. pop off wheel, shoulder and door. (yes the door can pop right off) swap parts.
    5. with both arms swapped leave them off for the time being. put the hood perpindicular to the body, and slide back. so that the hinges are not obstructed. Then pop off the hinges from the hood.
    6. Use the soldering iron to heat up the flat pin that holds the slider under the hood. after about 15 seconds try pulling it out with the pliers.
    7. Swap sliders. replace pin and hinges. replace arms.

oh the only thing left is to swap the anlkes/feet. just unscrew the legs one at a time and swap them over.

DONE

Attached Files:

2. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very cool.

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Man I just did this. Like literally a minute ago while working on my Custom Jazz. The one thing I didn't do was the soldering iron trick. Don't think I even own one. I gotta get one to complete this.

Good Job by the way. I really llike the Tigertrack one. I'm just not a big fan of the Sunstreaker chest for some reason ie the roof as the chest

4. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

Yes but if you look at G1 or Diaclone Sunstreaker, the canopy is the chest. It is those little details that I like about the classics line. Little nuances to remind us that of G1. I need to get Henkei. I love the chrome spoiler and chrome engine parts, just like G1.

5. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I'm the other way on this, I prefer the roof-as-chest look, looks more streamlined. You say potato, etc etc ;) 

Anyway, nicely done custom sir, looks good.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is nicely done; great job :thumb 

I'd also like to compliment you on well you presented this. Those are some nice photos Again, great job :thumb 

7. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Oh yeah I wasn't saying anything about your customs. You did a great job of mimicing the originals. It's just me that doesn't like the roof chest very much. I mean it even bothers me on my standard Classics SunStreaker

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Nicely done. I'll be doing this myself when I get hold of a Sideswipe.

As I mentioned in another thread when I saw the robot mode pics, however, what's your reasoning for putting th intake on Sunstreaker's gun, rather than on his back?

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    If you look close, that's Tigertrack's leftover intake. Streaker's still got his on back.

10. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

Close, but not quite. Sideswipe's Intakes are painted with a metallic silver with a base white plastic underneath. So I prefer the metallic painted version over the dull grey plastic of Sunstreaker's. Since i have Sunstreaker's intakes left over , I wasnt sure what to do with them, so i placed them on top of his gun.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    very nicely done man. I figure we'll see a lot of these in the end.

12. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

thanks. im surprised no one has noticed Sideswipes modified legs. I dont like seeing the wheels, so i tried flipping Sideswipes legs and the only issue is that the ankles are just a tad too short to clear the legs and therefore he cant stand straight. his legs need to be in constant "ACTION POSE" for him to stand.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

May well have noticed but just not commented on. The leg mod's not a new thing by any means; my Sideswipe (basically your red Streaker) will be using that setup for the legs too, only with a couple of actual physical mods that should allow him to stand straight.

14. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like I said in the other thread, I think I'm just gonna do this becaus I like the grey on sideswipe and the white on sunstreaker

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Darn this thread! Darn it all to heck! I just went out last night, bought 2 extras of each mold, and made my own. :lol 

16. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Bumping this OLD thread as I am just now getting around to doing this. I am stuck here so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

How EXACTLY do the doors "pop right off"? All I see is a screw that is pretty much inaccessible.

17. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

On these guys you don't even need to remove the screw on the insides of the doors. The screw is just for tension. The doors are on plugs. Just give them a tug and they will come right off.

18. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Thanks, I got them off shortly after posting this question...was just randomly pulling and one of the doors came off. Shame the OP got banned, this was a REALLY helpful tutorial in getting a as close as possible classics tigertrack when all I was originally was going to do was a headswap.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    What else are you wanting to know about this? I ended up making a set myself. Certainly willing to share what I know.

20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Crusadercon

News Credits:
    These two look great, awesome work. :D