Heavy/Scratch: Classics Tidal Wave! The Dark Fleet Sets Sail!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Apr 5, 2009.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Hey guys! I am totally excited about this project so I thought I'd share some WIP ideas about my Classics style Tidal Wave! I really wanted to make a Classics Tidal Wave that would really capture the massive stance of what I think of when I think Tidal Wave. So it hit me to use the "battleship" halves of Energon Omega Supreme as Tidal Wave. As the idea grew, I realized he would not be right without an aircraft carrier included. Besides, ya gotta have 3 sea vessels to make a proper Dark Fleet! Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I believe I have found what I need in a GI Joe USS Saratoga carrier. 33 inches long, 11 inches wide at the widest girth, and 8 inches high at the command tower! I'll use the existing joints from the yellow halves of OS and work them into the Saratoga. I would love to orient it so in bot mode the steam catapults are on the forearms, so he can fling seekers out at enemies! I'll use the battleships for the legs, and the carrier will house the crotch, torso, arms and head. Not in hand yet, I just won the carrier last week on Ebay. It's in the mail!

Here is a few pics to show the carrier, battleships, and the leg mode with comparison shots next to OS. As you can see the legs are a good inch taller than OS himself!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course you can't have an aircraft carrier without aircraft! I'll be adding a squadron or two of Minicons, namely Boltflash(F-14) x 4, and Micromasters, Eagle Eye(F-18) x 4, plus another 4 single molds. All articulated of course!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think a Supreme SS head from Sculptbot may work for the head, not sure. We're looking at 30-ish inches tall overall, and I think I can work in full articulation!

Each battleship has lights and sounds, and the Saratoga has lights and sounds as well! Too cool!

Watcha think? Let me know if you can think of any other head that might work better, maybe a Voltron head will have the stoic expression I'm looking for! I wanted to get you guys' opinion.

Thanks for your time gang!----BH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

holy shit. i can't wait to see how this turns out.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    damn hank, that's awesome. This will be about 3' tall haha. Gonna love to see the planes all interlocked to the gestalt formation.

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

What do I think about this project? This is going to be motherf@$kin' huge. To me the only thing flawed is that the knees look unprotected and lanky, but you'll think of something to fix that problem, but the rest is intriguing so keep us posted on your progress.

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Those kinda look like Robotech/Macross SDF1s.

Man, that think is going to lbe ginormous!

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cool!

7. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

:jawdropper: 

8. rodimuspwnzor

rodimuspwnzor Nerd-O-tron

Ebay:
    First, I have to say :jawdropper: , followed by :popcorn , and in closing, :drool: 

You're My Hero!

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Wow. This is one heck of a bash! What I want to see is how the Dark Fleet links up to form the giant warship, since that's how Tidal Wave usually travels in space. The steam launchers on the arms not only works great with your squad of mini-con planes, but also goes with the original Armada Tidal wave's arm configuration.

But from the sound of the carrier you won, that thing has GOT to be loaded with hollow spaces and electronics galore. While that makes great interior space for the joints for the arms and main body, you may have to strip the electronics to do so, as well as add the split Decepticon symbol on the carrier's tip.

All in all, this will be one heck of a way to revive the nfamous Tidal Wave! I can't wait to see this project unfold!

10. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great idea. And Omega doesn't look half bad (pardon the pun) with two trains for the body. I just got Energon Omega and I've been too intimidated by his size to come up with even a simple repaint, and here you are making a motherflippin carrier fleet. Awesome.

11. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Tremendous idea, tremendous in scale. My only thought on the matter-that you haven't covered-is the head. A Supreme Class head will be far too small, it's barely large enough for an 18" custom Devastator.

My suggestion is to create a Headmaster-style unit with a ship mode, bot mode, and head mode. I'm working out a Minicon scale Headmaster for a certain custom myself, and it's satisfying to see all three modes come together.

*Girl Squeal* Ooooo, I thought of who you can use. Cybertron Shortround would be a shoe-in for your Fleet :D 

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

MASSIVE.

This is one hell of a plan you've got there, skipper! It's so big I can't wrap my head around it! Crazy.

On a side note, yes... the double yellow Omega has some potential too. Too bad he doesn't want to lock together. That's my one gripe about symmetrical dockers... you can't really swap out figures from opposite sides. No HyoRyu/FuuRyu hybrids or double Jetstorm Safeguards sadly...

zac

13. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    WOW BH! This is some seriously massive project you have going here!
    iv always loved Tidal Wave(except the fact that Hasbros Tidalwave isent proper colors)
    i can wait to see how this turns out!
    Good luck!:thumb 

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i will be following this with great anticipation

Tidal Wave rules

15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

you do realize your crazy right? good

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Aren't we all crazy? :crazy: :drunk :tongue: 

17. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

Wow, what a scale change, from minicons to giganticon. Given you excellent work with the little ones, this huge bad boy wil be epic.

18. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I think i might explode if this turns out as awesome as it appears.

19. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I can't wait to see this finished.I get the same feeling looking at this like i had the first time i played the armada game and seen tidal wave transform.Having all those jets.Hes going to be like a hornets nest with all those jets flying around.

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Niether can I!:p 

Probably not quite 3 foot, but who knows? The planes all locked in down the forearms should be pretty cool indeed!:thumbs2: 

Yeah, the knees need attention, hopefully I won't need add-on armor knee pads but I will do what must be done!

They do! Robotech rules!

Thank guys!

Heres to hoping it doesn't dissappoint!:thumb 

Doh!! :banghead:  I totally forgot about the linked mode 'til you mentioned it! Ever since I read your post I've been thinkin' about it. I think I may have a plan now!

It does have lights and sounds, and cavitites too! I sure do hope I can retain as much whiz-bangery as possible!

Yes. The head is definitely the Achilles heel in this plan. I have some head shots of Tidal Wave from all angles, I've enlarged them to scale and will use for scratch build templates.

Great idea though with the Shortround/Headmaster! Never would have occurred to me as I just don't equate Tidal Wave with Headmasters.

Massively appreciated guys!

He deserved so much more than the toy he got!

Yes!

Yes!

Thanks! Couldn't resist the MiniCon Squadron though, I love the 'lil guys just like you do! The biggest problem for me in this scale I think will be editing my ideas down! I have sooo much space to cram gizmos in! Tidal Wave is gonna light up like a Christmas tree if I get my way!
    :drool: 

I'm making little attachment rods so the squadrons can be posed swarming all around Tidal Wave!

Thanks for all the positive feedback gang! It means a lot! If you've been following my Springer WIP you see some of the direction I'll be going with Tidal Wave! I want to do him justice, and I believe there should be something interesting to look at over every square inch of him! The carrier should be in hand by the end of the week, so I'll update then.:thumbs2: 

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009