Minor/Repaint: Classics Thundercracker WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ravenxl7, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. I've decided to make my own Classics versions of the 3 remaining Seekers since I wasn't able to get the Botcon set. I just started painting him today, though I did start dyeing certain pieces of him this past Tuesday. I've also done a digibash of what he will look like in bot-mode, though I do have something different planned for his wings. I haven't been able to think of a way to turn the canopy from orange to yellow, so I've come up with an alternative plan. As I plan to do a Thrust kitbash, I'll be swapping the orange canapy with the smokey canopy, and using a marker turning the smokey grey canopy a nice yellow color, and using the orange canopy for Thrust. I'll have to see if I can find the picture again, but, I remember seing a picture of Thrusth with an orange colored canopy, and I liked the way it looked. For now, here is the digibash that I've done. I will be posting some wip pictures once the blue on the missle launchers has covered the parts up well, and is drye. I really like the blue that I've chosen, and will be posting a picture or two of the specific color, just in case anybody is curious. Umm..that's about it for now. Thanks for looking, and please keep this thread nice and on-topic (especially keeping it away from Botcon exclusive discussion).

Thundercracker bot-mode:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Here are 6 WIP pictures so far, including 2 pictures of the can of blue paint that I'm using. It's Testors Gloss Bright Blue. I still need to do some touch ups on the blue for the rocket launchers, but, they're good enough to take some pictures with for now. Not really that much done, but, enough for just starting the painting process. Also, I've put up the photo that's my main insperation for his color scheme. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Skywarp trying out his brother's guns)

[​IMG]

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking good. i wish i'd gotten another skywarp pack when they came out here, mainly because it looks an easier job painting him into thundercracker than starscream

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D . I was able to buy a 2nd Skywarp off of someone on here (actually bought both of them off of 2 different board members) for a fair price. The ease of painting Skywarp to Thundercracker was the reason I chose him to kitbash over Starscream. I'm going to have to re-dye some parts that I dyed on Tuesday, as I didn't get them quite black enough for my taste (you can still tell the difference between a piece that was origionally black, and a piece that I dyed). Dirge and Thrust are going to be interesting as I plan to dye both of them their respective colors. I might be able to get some blue on the lower legs and the wings tommorow. I also still need to take apart the nosecone so I can dye the end of it, paint the black parts, and swap out the little piece of canopy.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Looking good, Raven. Its coming up pretty good. Nice.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D . The more and more I look at the blue that I'm using, the more I think that it's perfect for Thundercracker.

7. Ezilla82

Well it kinda looks like that box set just a bit, but its your version. Anyways it cool to say the least.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Little Update: Just started painting again. I'm painting part of the fuselage, the back of his sholders, and I'm also doing the touch-ups on the missle launchers, as I have noticed some spots that I missed the first time. No pictures yet, but I do plan to take some once this first coat dryes.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Just went down and put another coat of blue on the parts I'm currently working on. It seems to be going on really well today. Here's a photo of the parts I've just sprayed. I've also come up with a little comparison picture of the 3 main Classics Seekers in bot mode, to see how my custom Thundercracker will look like next to Starscream and Skywarp. I'll probably do something similar for when I come up with digibashes of my Dirge and Thrust kitbashes that I'm going to be doing. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Just put what should be the last coat of blue on these parts. Concidering the weather, the blue is going on extremely well. Here's a picture of the parts so far. After this coat of blue dryes, and if it is the last coat of blue they need, I plan on clear-coating them tonight. I'll still be able to add the black detail to the rocket launchers, so that won't be a problem, and I'll probably also add some silver to them that I didn't put into my digibash, though I might not (I'll make a decision later). Thanks for looking. Any comments out there?

[​IMG]

11. Ezilla82

Raven, as far as I see it and from the digibash you've done its going on great. By any chance do you use arylics or enemels paints or both of them in case of how the plastic reacts to it.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Most of the paint that I'm using is Enamels, though I have nothing againts Acrylics. The one paint that I have been using that's not enamel is the Teal Grean that I'm using on my Overlord bash for the legs. Other than that, it's all Enamels, as that's what I'm used to using.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: I've now clear-coated the parts that I painted blue today, and they should be drye in about a half an hour, so it won't be too long till I have some good pictures of them posted. For now here is a picture of them before I clear-coated, and a picture of just after. I might start painting the legs tommorow, and also get back to work on Overlord.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Ravenxl7 you should try to find some helping hands. It will make painting go a lot faster. I have about 10 of the mini ones that I got from work to hold little notes and they work great. Nice work on the custom, can't wait to see the finished results.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D . No offense to you, or anybody else that use helping hands, but, this method is working for me. Yeah, it does take a bit longer, but, as I've said in the past, I'd rather take it slowley than rush threw it (not that you guys rush threw it, just that with helping hands, it would be more tempting for me to rush threw the process). Little Update: I'm going to give these pieces a bit longer to cure, that way I don't mess up my work so far.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: I think they are ready to take a picture of, so here is a picture of them right after dryeing, and a picture of all the pieces that I've worked on so far. Which include the missle launchers, the missles, the small wing pieces, the backs of his shoulders, and the two big pieces of the fusalage. Everything seems to be running smoothley so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    :(  I liked my gallery pics of TC better'n seib's.

18. Ezilla82

Cool, well not to change the subject I might use both Enamels and Acrylics for some of my upcoming projects you know just in case. As far the updates for TC not bad at all, its getting there.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No offense, but, I personally prefer to use Seibertron's pictures for digibashes. It's nothing personal, just my preference (specifically for the nice straight on shot's of the bot-modes, which make it easy to digibash imo).

Thanks :D . I have a good background with Enamels, as I've done model cars in the past.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know what you mean, I always make a point to have straight-on front shots. but whatever. I work to waste my time :p