Customs: Classics Thundercracker repaint question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by defstar, Aug 12, 2007.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

This question for those who have done the repaint to get Classics Thundercracker...

Did you use the Starscream or Skywarp mold...?

Anyone found pros/cons for either...does it really matter...?

Thanks...

2. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I used the Starscream mold, just because I wasn't going to buy another two-pack.

I don't know if it really matters. I guess if you wanted to do a more cartoon-accurate TC with lighter blue, you'd want Starscream's light gray to work with. The opposite might be true if you were doing a toy-accurate/based color scheme (darker blue).

Still, I used Screamer and did a dark blue scheme and it came out fine. So, I'm not too sure it really matters.

3. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I used the Starscream mold, just because I wasn't going to buy another two-pack.

I don't know if it really matters. I guess if you wanted to do a more cartoon-accurate TC with lighter blue, you'd want Starscream's light gray to work with. The opposite might be true if you were doing a toy-accurate/based color scheme (darker blue).

Still, I used Screamer and did a dark blue scheme and it came out fine. So, I'm not too sure it really matters.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah man, the screamer one for sure. cheaper, and it's generally easier to paint over grey than black. I did one. check the link in my sig.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah man, the screamer one for sure. cheaper, and it's generally easier to paint over grey than black. I did one. check the link in my sig.

6. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Well, if you can find one, I'd recommend Starscream.

The benefit is that you can dye him blue, and then paint him on top of the dye. That way if the paint scratches, its not that noticeable.

If you use Skywarp...who, in my opinion is more readily available for some reason...go figure...you'll have to make sure you give each piece a good coat, and accept that if the paint scratches, you will have black showing through (unless you prime it...which adds to the thickness)

7. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Well, if you can find one, I'd recommend Starscream.

The benefit is that you can dye him blue, and then paint him on top of the dye. That way if the paint scratches, its not that noticeable.

If you use Skywarp...who, in my opinion is more readily available for some reason...go figure...you'll have to make sure you give each piece a good coat, and accept that if the paint scratches, you will have black showing through (unless you prime it...which adds to the thickness)

8. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Yep...this is my dilemma...I already have an extra MISB Skywarp/UM...so either bust it open or go spend $30.00 on ebay for Screamer...

btw...nice customs ckhtiger...I really like the Astrotrain...does all the extra paint make him harder to transform...?

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Yep...this is my dilemma...I already have an extra MISB Skywarp/UM...so either bust it open or go spend $30.00 on ebay for Screamer...

btw...nice customs ckhtiger...I really like the Astrotrain...does all the extra paint make him harder to transform...?

10. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Your Trailbreaker & Hoist are nice.

11. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Your Trailbreaker & Hoist are nice.

12. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used Skywarp. Starscream was hard to find when I decided to do this, but came out very well. If you have an extra, I'd say use it. Starscream is too much on Ebay to just repaint. Another reason why I used SW was because I didn't feel like repainting the face like his was.

13. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used Skywarp. Starscream was hard to find when I decided to do this, but came out very well. If you have an extra, I'd say use it. Starscream is too much on Ebay to just repaint. Another reason why I used SW was because I didn't feel like repainting the face like his was.

14. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Good points...

Just realized also that I wouldn't have to paint the chest area with SW...I could leave it silver...with Screamer it's red...

15. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Good points...

Just realized also that I wouldn't have to paint the chest area with SW...I could leave it silver...with Screamer it's red...

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks. good God yes that paint makes astrotrain hard to transform. to do those pics, I had to take them in one mode, tf him, paint the rub areas, take the pics, repeat. that particular paint comes right off, which is weird, since it's from the same tamiya line I do everything else in. I guess being a triple changer has it's drawbacks.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks. good God yes that paint makes astrotrain hard to transform. to do those pics, I had to take them in one mode, tf him, paint the rub areas, take the pics, repeat. that particular paint comes right off, which is weird, since it's from the same tamiya line I do everything else in. I guess being a triple changer has it's drawbacks.

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Wow...well none the less...it's a nice looking repaint...

19. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Wow...well none the less...it's a nice looking repaint...