Minor/Repaint: Classics thundercracker feedback?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Computer5, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

This is my 1st repaint. I used an acid storm, primed in black, painted w/ testors acrylics then clearcoated w/ future finish. Stripes were from reprolabels. Missile launchers have not been painted (as seen next to his feet)

Any tips on how to make the seeker thighs not rub against the calves during transformation?
    Any constructive feedback?

Attached Files:

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I would suggest painting up Starscream as Thundercracker looks so much nicer than him now.

3. Computer5

Yeah, touching up Starscream has crossed my mind, but i also have the 25th anniversary SS on my bookshelf.... So that makes me somewhat hesitant in touching up 1.0 SS.

At one point, I was thinking about gutting 1.0 SS's canopy for TC, but I decided not to after considering how rare 1.0 SS is nowadays.

I will be making a 2nd TC in the near future so i can improve my painting skills before working on dirge and thrust since conehead bodies are more expensive than the plain seeker bodies.

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow that paint looks smooth ive not attempted a classics seeker myself it looks as though the mould will rub badly

but love that blue good work!

5. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Well man he looks very sharp. As for conehead repaints, I'd suggest looking up Ptitvite for casted heads and do a swap as you'll need to mod the wings anyway. Then slap them on Acid Storm, bringing home the savings.

Ptitvite's Casted Parts

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks good.

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Solid paintjob! Looks great. :) 

I'd recommend sanding down the insides of the lower legs, primarily the rim at the top and inside tracks. If you do it just right, the slide block won't be loose, but you'll have more room for the thighs to slide in and out of that cavity without it scratching. Did that with my TC repaint, and I haven't had much in scratching problems.

8. Computer5

what type of sandpaper do u recommend? and grit quality?

9. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

I would recommend unscrewing the nose of the plane and getting into the cockpit. Paint that black and then reassemble. It will look much nicer than the green.

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Dammit! I never thought of that. I always take my figures apart but forget the sanding.

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Actually...er, I probably should have said "grind it down," as I tend to use a rotary tool. Otherwise, a file would probably work. If you used sandpaper, I'd recommend a pretty fine grit, but I couldn't give a precise grade.

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think the paintjob looks great, man. I have to echo that comment about opening up the cockpit and painting it. It doesn't look bad, but the green is noticeable (and it clashes with the blue). Other than that, great job, bro! I have the same project planned, just haven't had time to do it with other stuff I have ahead of it.

13. Computer5

Yeah i was planning to do that w/ blue but the screw for the canopy is stripped so i can't unscrew it. But i will take this suggestion and apply it for my 2nd TC. So what do other guys think? Black or Blue for the inside?

Good suggestion Plastic Man!

14. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I got to say its TC, but I do agree with the rest of my fellow Radicons about what needs to be done. So good job on it.

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'd say go black or silver (which might brighten up the shade of the canopy a bit and look a bit different from Starscream and Skywarp. Blue could also work well though, I'd imagine.

16. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

I thought I was looking at a Henkei Thundercracker .

17. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    That looks awesome!

I'm pretty new at this but I did a Durge with Krylon Fusion and found that after I let the paint set for just over a week I had zero paint scraping on the thighs during transformation.

That said the Krylon might not match up well with the great colors you have already used, but its a thought. Krylon paint hardens very, very well given the time to set.

Again, great job, I hope I get my own half that good when I get around to trying it.:thumbs2: 

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I ground down the insides of the calves. on three sides. one doesn't need it (the side with the spring-loaded wedge).

19. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Or you can sand the connection points between the Thighs and the lower legs where the parts rub during transformation Like I did for all my seeker repaints, does wonders for rub prevention. :lolol 

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    *shrugs* its not like it was hard work.. my dremel with a fine sanding bit did the job for me in just a couple minutes, for both legs. don't really see what's funny.