Minor/Repaint: Classics Thundercracker Custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by roykop, Sep 3, 2008.

1. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    I decided to pick up an extra Acid Storm I came across and customize it into a Thundercracker, seeing as how I'll never be able to pickup the BotCon one, and am undecided if the Henkei versions are worth the costs. Maybe some day when the prices drop, but for now, this guy will have to do:

I decided to try and stick close to the Botcon design, even though I have seen many well designed variations. I am still new to customizing transformers, and while there is still much room for improvement, I think this is my best one yet. Sadly, the paint on the upper legs rub off if I try to put it in jet mode, so for now he's stuck as he is. The spray paint blue turned out OK, but my technique, and very likely my patience need a lot of work.

Only thing missing are the reprolabels on the wings, haven't ordered them yet. Still not sure if I should put the 'con logos upright or upside down while he stands in bot mode. Suggestions?

In addition, I'm trying to think of some other good ideas to try painting. I'm useless at bashing multiple figs together, but for straight up repaints, I'm open to ideas. Currently trying to help my roommate repaint 2.0 Prowl into Smokescreen.

Attached Files:

• TC_1.jpg
      TC_1.jpg
      File size:
      130.3 KB
      Views:
    • TC_2.jpg
      TC_2.jpg
      File size:
      139.3 KB
      Views:
  2. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    damn dude, excellent work

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

nice job

4. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

what color/brand did you use?

5. ad0nis01

ad0nis01 Well-Known Member

it looks really good!

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice masking on the stripes. Nice work.

7. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

nice really clean,the shade of blue is awsome.

8. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone!

The Spraypaint I used was Krylon Fusion for Plastic. I don't see a color name, but it's the standard blue that was available at Walmart. I also used the same brand for the white and red.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that I dont think I applied enough layers of paint on the wings and missles, whereas the back area and some spots of the legs seem to have too much! The wings almost have a "sandy" texture to them, but look ok anyway. The silver and some of the other custom painted colors are Tamiya acrylic paints.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is top notch work man! Everything looks excellent! :thumb 

10. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

This might help, its not a guarantee that the paint will not chip off but atleast it will prevent from easy chip. You might want to try using a clear type spray could be flat clear or shiny clear . That is what I did to my custom and its more than 3 mos but it does not chip off, I did put on a primer flat black so that the paint would stick good on the plastic.

11. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    oh that looks amazing! i was wondering what seeker i might want to do when i get acidstorm i think you just made my choice easy

12. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

The chipping problem can be tough. I have used the Testors clear coat and lately have started using Future floor finish. Both work pretty well. :) 

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Very nice work. A brighter blue than I'd go for myself, but it still works really well, and the striping's beautifully done.

As for the insignias, I say right way up, totally. I don't see the logic in putting them the other way - when they're mounted on the wings, they're facing upward, and as such there is no relative top and bottom, so it's not like that's really a factor. Besides, this way, you can see what side he's on when he's flying toward you at full pelt... :p 

14. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Man that looks good for a guy that's 'still new to customizing transformers.' In regards to the Botcon or Henkai version, there's no need to pay for those guys once you've made a custom this good. It's yours and it probably feels better to make it than buy, I know that's how I felt when I made mine.

Suggestions for other customs:
    If you like Alts paint rumble blue, it's not that hard once you take him apart and take your time letting the pieces dry.
    Acid Storm could use a more cartoon accurate paint job
    I would hold off on repainting the current Classics guys until we see what kind of crap Hasbro/Fun Publications is gonna pull for Botcon 2009
    Powerglide could use some Burgandy
    Cybertron Armorhide is an easy Huffer
    If anything I would suggest to buy doubles or triples of figures, especially when on sale, so you will have repaint fodder when you want it

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Indeed. And here's some inspiration for that (though personally I think he could at least do with a faceplate)... :p 

Seems decent advice if you can afford it. And if you like a mould but not the character, there's always the option of making your own. That's how Coldfire came about...

16. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with you guys on the multiples (when I can afford it :wink: )

Both Prowl and Sunstreaker are pretty nice for repaints, but there's just someting about that seeker mold that is a lot of fun. I suppose I could always go for Sunstorm, or just invent my own! I doubt I'll come across another cheap Ramjet to make a dirge, but i'll keep my eyes peeled.

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You probably won't - I just had to pay a hair over the odds for mine...

18. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice! I know I'll have to try this in the future. Did you take him apart before painting?

19. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    I did take him apart, but only in places that had ball joints or screws. I'm not about to start trying to remove pin joints, that will guarantee I screw it up :) 

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, this came out great!!