Minor/Repaint: classics thrust is finished! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ckhtiger, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

alright, here he is, in all his glory. plane mode pics come first, then I'll have to do a bit of touch ups after doing the bot mode pics. I want to give thanks to sorrow, who gave me the inspiration to do this in his thread of awesome custom seekers here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=132660

there was some talk about the g1 wings being a bit too large and out of scale with the classics mold, but after doing this, I'm going to have to disagree. he looks just right, as if this vtol design would require a large wing. if anything, I would have to say that the botcon mold's wings might be a bit small, but that's just my opinion.

I did a walkthrough of how to do this in my thread here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145103

so that should answer any questions folks may have. I did a few pics with the tailfin stickers on so people could see what they look like in case they want to leave them on. they totally get destroyed taking them off, so just make sure you choose wisely, and might I suggest taking them off before gluing the fins to the body, as that can be a bit of a fragile attachment. as always, I appreciate comments and criticisms. enjoy, and bot mode pictures should be up sometime tonight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree the G1 wings don't look as bad as I thought. Perhaps a tiny bit big, but not too over the top IMO, however it does underline the fact that the nose cone is too short.

The only criticism I have is on the front pointy part of the wings. I would have shaved them down so it would blend in with the fuselage and not stick out by it.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree the G1 wings don't look as bad as I thought. Perhaps a tiny bit big, but not too over the top IMO, however it does underline the fact that the nose cone is too short.

The only criticism I have is on the front pointy part of the wings. I would have shaved them down so it would blend in with the fuselage and not stick out by it.

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Bot mode! Bot mode!!

Your paint job is incredible!! Did you use dye!? Because it looks factory quality!! :thumb 

5. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Bot mode! Bot mode!!

Your paint job is incredible!! Did you use dye!? Because it looks factory quality!! :thumb 

6. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Boy that could be taken the wrong way. But yes, that's an incedible looking set-up and a great looking color.

I've only one technical complaint about the missile launchers being directly under the vertical fans... but hey it's yours not mine, and if you're happy, cool.

7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Boy that could be taken the wrong way. But yes, that's an incedible looking set-up and a great looking color.

I've only one technical complaint about the missile launchers being directly under the vertical fans... but hey it's yours not mine, and if you're happy, cool.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome work dude.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome work dude.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the fact that these guys have spent a little more time giving a few more detailed critiques says a lot about the level of this piece and your work now (worthy pieces are worth critiquing, imo). Overall, you've done a SUPERB job, man! I think I'd echo what MM said.

Also (though we've talked about it) I'd suggest taking some putty and some super glue and going back over the 'boo-boo', sanding it down, and then painting on top of the wing. If you're wanting to put a bit more work into and do that, that's [of course] up to you.

I'll reiterate the fact that since you have us picking this piece apart on this kind of detail-oriented level, REALLY says something about your work. Your photos are sharp and really show off your work well (some of the best photo presentations I've seen in our section in a short while and I definitely feel it's worth noting), and everything else is just really slick. GREAT job man, great job. I couldn't be any more proud of ya! :thumb 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the fact that these guys have spent a little more time giving a few more detailed critiques says a lot about the level of this piece and your work now (worthy pieces are worth critiquing, imo). Overall, you've done a SUPERB job, man! I think I'd echo what MM said.

Also (though we've talked about it) I'd suggest taking some putty and some super glue and going back over the 'boo-boo', sanding it down, and then painting on top of the wing. If you're wanting to put a bit more work into and do that, that's [of course] up to you.

I'll reiterate the fact that since you have us picking this piece apart on this kind of detail-oriented level, REALLY says something about your work. Your photos are sharp and really show off your work well (some of the best photo presentations I've seen in our section in a short while and I definitely feel it's worth noting), and everything else is just really slick. GREAT job man, great job. I couldn't be any more proud of ya! :thumb 

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

it was real hard, let me tell ya. I pretty much just dremeled away and eyeballed it. I'll admit the pointy-ness of it looks kinda funny, but with the design of the g1 wings, I don't think there's much else to do with it.

you got it! not dye at all, just some tamiya acrylics I mixed. check my how to thread to see more.

I'm not exactly how that could've been taken wrong. maybe I missed something. as far as the missile launchers, hey, that's how they were designed! I don't actually like them in plane mode (too long) and just put them in a couple of pics because there were some people who were wondering how they looked and if they fit without modification, which they do.

thanks man, really. and you know how much you've helped me out. believe it or not, that's the best I could do with that mistake on the wing. there's some putty that I put super glue on to harden as you suggested. I guess it was some lack of prep as well as just my inexperience with that stuff and sanding that makes it look that way. also the paint that I have over it to cover it up is a shade off. but luckily, you can't see it in bot mode anyway.

as far as the pics go, over the spring I realized an easy way to take really nice pics. here's where I do it, using a tripod and a simple point and shoot camera:

[​IMG]

after that, I just crop 'em and throw them on photobucket. depending on the sunlight, however, they sometimes end up with a bit of an incandescent hue. but for what it is, it sure works!

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

it was real hard, let me tell ya. I pretty much just dremeled away and eyeballed it. I'll admit the pointy-ness of it looks kinda funny, but with the design of the g1 wings, I don't think there's much else to do with it.

you got it! not dye at all, just some tamiya acrylics I mixed. check my how to thread to see more.

I'm not exactly how that could've been taken wrong. maybe I missed something. as far as the missile launchers, hey, that's how they were designed! I don't actually like them in plane mode (too long) and just put them in a couple of pics because there were some people who were wondering how they looked and if they fit without modification, which they do.

thanks man, really. and you know how much you've helped me out. believe it or not, that's the best I could do with that mistake on the wing. there's some putty that I put super glue on to harden as you suggested. I guess it was some lack of prep as well as just my inexperience with that stuff and sanding that makes it look that way. also the paint that I have over it to cover it up is a shade off. but luckily, you can't see it in bot mode anyway.

as far as the pics go, over the spring I realized an easy way to take really nice pics. here's where I do it, using a tripod and a simple point and shoot camera:

[​IMG]

after that, I just crop 'em and throw them on photobucket. depending on the sunlight, however, they sometimes end up with a bit of an incandescent hue. but for what it is, it sure works!

14. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My stupid PC isn't showing the pictures

15. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My stupid PC isn't showing the pictures

16. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The wings, color, and everything look exelent.
    Great job!

17. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The wings, color, and everything look exelent.
    Great job!

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Those wings are waaaaaay too big. but you don't have to please us, only yourself. if you like it, thats awesome dude. I would never have the guts or skill to try a mod like that.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Those wings are waaaaaay too big. but you don't have to please us, only yourself. if you like it, thats awesome dude. I would never have the guts or skill to try a mod like that.

20. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    The work on this is really good. I like the how-to guide. Picked up some great tips. Maybe with all this talk about Walmarts doing a restock on some Classics, I may find one to attempt later.