Classics: The little universe that could!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by n_tel_ekt, Jun 27, 2010.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

We are so close to finishing the ark crew. Can you believe it?! It all started back in '06 when a humble little throw away line filled a gap. My 1st reaction at seeing a campact car Bumble Bee (whattha? They are actually doing Bubble Bee?). I wasnt on the websites in 2006, so the unfolding excitement of seeing my favorite characters in advanced form with articulation and feet that werent stuck together. GUN MEGATRON! Flat nose Optimus (TRUCK not MUNKEY!)... Fast forward 4 years.

The "universe" has expanded! Who could have guessed that we'd have almost ALL of our favorite cartoon characters in articulated/upgraded awesomeness.

Its spawned almost the entire ark crew and a large amount of decepticons, no small feat considering how many characters they covered in these sublines... So many characters that havent been seen in years and years. Not mto mention the 3rd party stuff that compliments and helps complete things... (A proper UM, Springer, etc)

Is anyone else with me in being amazed at how the classics line evolved into this big thing and revisited so many characters (getting them right for the majority of the time too!)so unexpectedly???

(EDIT: 2006, thankss ExVeeBrawn, :)  )

2. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Classics started in 2006. I think the original Universe line was underway in 2004, though. Maybe that's where you're getting confused?

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Regardless, he has a point. We're so close... now if we could get Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak, and Buzzsaw for the 'cons, and Trailerbreaker, Wheeljack, and Gears for the Autobots, someone can make a checklist homaging the original 1984 one, instead using the Classics figures.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As far as I am concerned, the Classics / Universe / Generations line of G1 re-do's is the best line to date.

Not to say that other lines haven't produced anything great, but this line (for me) is the be-all, end-all.

So far.

5. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I have 3 equally-favourite lines - G1, Beasties and Classics. I rate Classics/Universe/Generations that highly in that they've been made for us (us being the fandom who will keep giving HasTak money until the day we die... :lol ). They're pretty much perfectly-updated representations of the blocky G1s I've always luved. & the fact that we're now into our 3rd line of Classics figures has me "as happy as Larry"... :D 

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    These toys are all like I wished them to be back then when I was a kid. They are so great, that I sometimes hate that they are NOW like I always wanted them. If I would be a kid, I would get them all. But now, what should I do with all those toys?

But I wish they would do a cartoon series with all those updated characters, that would be great! Please no CGI, except when used like in modern anime.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    yea 2006, it was the first line i collected truely when i got back into transformers full swing summer of 2005

been around buying classics when they came out, love the stuff

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I'm not too surprised. They're great toys. They should sell. Now, if they were crappy toys and sold well,then I'd be surprised.

9. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

It's funny when classics came out i was passing on them. Back then i felt the alternators/Masterpeice figures were the best rendition of characters. I remember not being big on classic optimus and megatron i did not like the color schemes they had. I liked some of the other figures, but if you don't have an op or megatron to go with then what was the point. But i lost my TF collection in a fire, and kinda had a new starting point.

While i felt alternators started really strong, just felt it was getting to random. I wanted accurate versions of g1 characters and a car version of grimlock aint gonna work.

I started collecting classics right before universe hit and i was getting the henkei stuff, as well. Henkei fixed allot of he things i didn't like about the line optimus and megatron. Then i backtracked and got all the classics/henkei stuff i needed.

But I'm so glad i decided to collect these instead of continuing with alternators, these are so much more my style. Especially with the character range.

10. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Just think, if this keeps up, eventually they may cover/recover every transformer in the mythos!

I just hope they don't go into BW territory full swing before they finish WFC/G1 toon with comic dabbles.

11. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I too ignored classics when they first came out, I assumed it would be a tiny line and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the first wave of classics. It's the Universe and Henkei figures that got me in. But credit where credit is due, Hasbro\Takara did a great job.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I know a few people who would disagree with you, but I hear what you;re saying that there are lots of cool G1 characters yet to be realised.

I would just like to see a few more BW characters throughout the Generations line, or at least homages to them.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    give us a new rattrap and terrorsaur at least!

i am LOVING generations, they are making so many g1 decepticon leaders it is a dream come true, i always loved the idea of different decepticon leaders than just megatron and we are getting not just straxus but THUNDERWING (stormbringer TPB is the only tf comic i own minus the small comic that came with the animated twins jetfire and jetstorm) and i loved Thunderwing in there

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I agree with you. I think it'd be great to see some more BW homages in the upcoming line. I think there is a decent chance that Hasbro willl revisit BW in the future too; Aaron Archer did mention he really, really wanted to toch upon the Beast Era again.

With that being said, finish the G1 characters first. There's a lot of fans out there who need to complete the crew and still a lot off great characters to be made.

15. TechNoMad

TechNoMad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I also picked up on the classics late. My son (how I got back into transformers) was in to the A/E/C thing. I missed out on classics prime, and most of the others and I am still kicking my self over this. They were so cheap compared to now! But I agree I think this is Hasbro's best line and this is how I wanted my G1 all those years ago as a kid. Sure there are a few things I would have done differently (including reissues) if I were involved in Hasbro and the line but, that is just a fan perspective. So, to end, I gotta say thank you Hasbro for listening and giving us something we want.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Classics is what got me back into collecting Transformers. I was just a GI Joe collector at the time but when I saw the toys like a lot of other people I was floored by them being the Transformers toys I always wanted as a kid.

It's been an amazing line to follow because they keep finding a way to make the figures just a little bit better and the character selection has been pretty broad so each wave it's been more characters to add to the collection instead of saying do I really need another Prime or Bumblebee toy.

The only real draw back has been the way the line keeps getting put on hold. I really miss the excitement of new stuff coming down the line when the line gets put on hold and there aren't any new releases for a while.

17. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not admittedly a big G1 nut, but Universe has some great, great toys. That said, I'm hoping at some point in the future they reissue some of the 06 Classics toys for the newer collectors that were brought in with the Movie/Animated push.

18. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Back in '06, I wasn't a Transformers fan. When I saw the teaser trailer for the first movie, before I knew it was also based on a cartoon, I thought a movie about toys would've been stupid. Then I found out about the cartoon, and then I saw the full trailer for the movie, and so I started watching G1 online, which got me interested more than the movie! So I skipped most of the first wave of movie toys to get a couple of the Classics, and now I wish I'd been a fan earlier because I missed a lot! Now eBay is the source of a lot of my G1-based figures. I am also grateful that they came out with Universe Classics 2.0 and are coming out with Generations, cause I'm not missing those!

OMGosh, yes! I need a Classics Rodimus that's not over $100!

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the mps and alts got me back in as well, like n_tel_ekt, i skipped the classics mostly, but got a couple (starscream, rodimus, bb, astro) and when they shipped their last shipment of the voyagers to the stores, i hastily bought the remaining figures i needed to complete the line sans minicons and legends, kept up with universe nicely, and stoked for generations

20. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really think we need a hoist, blitzwing and good ol shockwave too

Maybe even a new version of soundwave that can store new tapes