Digibash: Classics Technobots Idea/WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Ravenxl7, May 16, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yet another one of my ideas, but this one will, eventually, be done. I've technically already started on it, though not much yet. I've basically planned out almost all of Scattershot's mods, and have a basic idea for his combined transformation. I've also got the four others molds chosen out. Classics Cliffjumper for Lightspeed, Armada Smokescreen for Nosecone, Energon Starscream for Strafe, and Energon Highwire for Afterburner (this one is the most likely to change for the final version). I've also got a good leg transformation figured out for Lightspeed, and have a couple mod ideas for Nosecone. The first picture I've put in this thread is what I currently have planned for Scattershot's color scheme and some of the mods I'll be doing on him (there's at least two I haven't put in there yet). Oh, I've also figured out a base mode for Scatershot. The second picture is just all 5 of the molds I plan on using int a simple background I made. They are each in a different basic color that I'll more than likely use for them (basically made it out of boredome, lol). If everything goes according to plan, they will combine, though like most combiners, they'll need some extra parts to do so. While there are plenty of decent motorcycle TF's out there, not a lot of them are Deluxe sized (the size class I'll need for this), and most that are seem to lack much needed articulation. What do you guys think? Thanks for looking, and for any comments. It's not much to go off of, visually, for now, but I should have some more up in a day or two.

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... that's a funny coincidence. I have no idea why, but I've had the notion of a custom Technobot set rolling around in my head for the past month or so too...

I was sort of thinking of Energon Jetfire for Scattershot. His colours are almost bang on already.

Energon Slugslinger makes for a good Strafe, with the tandem jet/double fuselage design.

I'm pretty much convinced that Cybertron Lugnutz was designed as a subtle Afterburner homage. Once you start comparing them, there are too many little similarities. But if you wanted a more futuristic design, Cybertron Ransack is a good match. Both of these are a bit small though...

There are a lot of futuristic cars that could work for Lightspeed, but a somewhat customized Classics Rodimus is pretty close.

Nosecone... no idea. I like the idea of putting Armada Smokescreen to use. :) 

zmog

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

For Afterburner, if you want a Deluxe motorbike, your options are limited. high Wire may be a Deluxe, but he's way to scrawny compared to everyone else. Obviously there's Movie Arcee, but she's right out.

The best bet in my book would be Armada Sideways (or Energon Rapid Run, since he's yellow. I know he's somewhat lacking in articulation straight out the box, but it's a doddle to give him knees, and if you're willing to either try casting or nick the arms off another 'bot, it's not hard to give him elbows too.

I've posted these elsewhere recently, but here's a couple of shots of my E-RR, with new knees and arms. I can give you a quick tutorial if you want it.

VP actually seems a pretty good choice for Scattershot, with the nose cannon and all. With new wings he could be a pretty faithful homage.

I'd also recommend Slugslinger for Strafe, although I don't have the mould myself. Strafe didn't actually have the double cockpit affair, but the look's certainly there.

ightspeed I'd go with maybe Cyb. Hot Shot or something. CJ's not exactly rife with potential combination options, and as Deluxes go, he is a small one.

Smokescreen might make a decent Nosecone, though I'm not sure how you'd fit the drill without it looking daft in robot mode. That and I imagine it'll be quite hard to get any kind of articulation into him...

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    might could use the upcoming spiderman... would just wanna square up some places so its more mecha looking.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've had the idea for a while now, but I've finally decided to put it in motion.

I was concidering Energon Jetfire, but he looks like he would be too hard to get a good comination out of.

Another one I concidered, but decided not to go with as I honestly don't like the way it looks.

If there was a Deluxe version of Cybertron Ransack, and I could get ahold of it easily, that's what I would go with, but as is, it's too small.

Yeah, there are a lot of options I could go with for Lightspeed. It may seem odd, but I really like my choice of using a Classics Cliffjumper for him.

As much as I like my Armada Smokescreen, I've been displaying him in alt-mode, as the crane just makes posing with other TF's odd, imo, so I decided I might as well put him to good use for a kitbash where the crane will be taken off.

I actually like that he's scrawny. It may sound odd, but I'm going for a missmatched feel with the team.

Personally, I don't actually like how Armada Sideways looks. I'm thinking about using RID Sideways, as he doesn't look too bad in bot-mode, and it shouldn't be too hard, theoretically, to remove his saw weapon.

New wings are definetly something I"m going to be doing for him. I've already removed the old one's (hard to do, but they needed to go).

Like I said above, I personaly don't like the look of Sluglsinger, and the two nosecone thing isn't something I find important to Strave.

I've decided to go with Cliffjumper, because I wanted him to be puggy. I've figured out how he'll transform for the leg, and with the right mods to him and Smokescreen/Nosecone, they'll be the same height in their leg-modes.

The drill is something I'm not goingt o put any peticular emphesis on. I might give him a weapon that's a drill, but it won't be important to his vehicle-mode.

Interesting idea. He didn't come to mind, lol. I'll take it under concideration. He'll be one that definetly needs a head swap.

6. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I like your take on this. I have a technobot project on the very back burner also. As I get ideas I'll pick it up or make notes. I really like the idea of Vector Prime as Scattorshot. I look forward to seeing what you do with him.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Vector Prime as Scattershot...why didn't I think of this sooner.

8. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    Be careful using RID Sideways. His saw weapon just pops off, but his size is not big at all. If you find C ransack too small, then Sideways is not for you.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. Out of all the Gestalt team kitbashes I've seen, I'm actually kinda surprised there really haven't been any Computron's done. The Constructicons and Stunticons seem to be two of the more popular one's done.

The funny thing is that I was origionally planning on turning Vector Prime into The Last Autobot, but seeing the legends repaint made me realize how good of a homage he could be as Scattershot.

Huh...I thought he was about Deluxe sized (haven't really been able to find any pictures of him comapred to anything I own). I might go with something different for his alt-mode than, as a bike TF is a bit hard to find for this project. I'm gong to go look at some pictures of the Spidey bike-former, and then probably look at some TF's with weird/futuristic looking alt-modes.

Edit: Another option for Afterburner that came to mind last night was Animated Prowl, but that didn't last long, as the styles would not blend well between him and the others (even for a missmatched team like I'm going for).

10. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Yeah you might look at other options for Afterburner. On my Protectobot group I change Groove from a police motorcycle to a police viper. I may end up doing a different vehicle altogther for Afterburner if I ever get that far.

11. SMOG

Really? I think the blocky style suits Scattershot better, and because he's already got his Powerlinx configurations, it makes him pretty flexible as a combiner. The "gunship" aspect of Vector Prime suits Scattershot, it's true, but Energon Jetfire's nosecone can easily be replaced. Just a thought. :) 

I agree with you there. The jet mode has the same shape (although yes, on Strafe they're guns not cockpits), but it's not a nice figure to work with.

Highwire is not very big either... but as you said, you want a patchwork looking team.

I like your idea to make him pudgy. It's probably just an image planted in my head by the G1 box art for these guys, but I've always pictured all the Technobots as being on the short and blocky side. :) 

Though it must be said... Ramrider, you magnificent bastard, you somehow managed to make Armada Sideways look COOL! You deserve a Nobel prize or something for that at the very least! In fact with the changes you made, and the new head, I'd say that mold would make a GREAT Afterburner! I wish I hadn't sold off my Armada Sideways now, dammit!

Got anything for Armada Sideswipe? I still got one of those I can't unload. ;) 

Well... his name is Nosecone. Being a drill is sort of central to his concept. :) 

zmog

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm thinking of using Energon Stormjet as my Scattershot. Either that or Slugslinger.

13. SMOG

Stormjet is not a bad choice either... though he might be a bit small, depending on how big the other Technos are...

zmog

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The blocky style does sute Scattershot nicely, but for some reason I can't imagine that mold combining with four other bots. With another in a Powerlix fashion yes, but with four smaller bots in a gestalt form, I'd have to see someone else do it first.

The funny thing is, my mane reason for making him pudgy, is because he's going to be one of the legs. I would imagine that a bot meant for supporting that much weight would need to be more bulky.

Eh, I still don't think it's that important to him. Armada Smokescreen, imo, does a good enough job homaging him. He'll most likely be getting a drill weapon. That and there aren't that many Deluxe molds, that I can think of anyways, that could pull of a drill tank alt-mode properly.

Stormjet is a pretty good option. The other four would need to be scout class figures, but it would definetly work. In fact, one of my first choices for Scattershot when I first started this was Stormjet.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just added a couple photos of the torso transformation I currently have for Scattershot, and the leg transformation for Lightspeed. I've also got Smokescreen/Nosecone in place (still need to get the crane off so I can better work with him). What do you guys think of Classics Mirage as Afterburner? Just an idea for now, but I put him in the picture for now to see what he would look like as an arm (I actually came up with this one a while back when I was thinking about doing a Classics Menasor). The funny thing is, I can do pretty much the same exact leg transformatino with a G1 Cliffjumper.

16. SMOG

Classics Deluxe Megatron from the 2 pack comes to mind. He's futuristic enough in tank mode that the drill wouldn't look out of place. It's a nice figure apart from the silly action feature in the arm.

But you could mount a drill mechanism instead of the turret gun... that would give him a drill arm in robot mode, and you could probably even rig it to still use his stupid spinning arm gimmick, but instead to spin the drill! It's almost too perfect! :) 

zmog

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sounds like a decent idea, but tbh, I'm content with my choice of using Armada Smokescreen. Also, I personally think that Classics Deluxe Megatron looks to evil in bot and tank-mode. I'd have to do more than mod on a drill to make him fit in, imo. I'm mainly looking for opinions on molds for Afterburner, and maybe some mod ideas for the molds I've already chosen. Just curious, does anybody know how I could get rid of the tependancey of Smokescreens crane/gun on a minicon to extend? Basically I'm thinking about using it for one of the Gestalt-mode guns, but don't want to have to have a minicon around all the time for it.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yes, me. I just did the job on my Smokey to see how it was done, and it's a doddle.

First, use your Minicon (or a pointy thing) to release the catch and partially extend the arm. Then unscrew the main casing of the crane arm (3 screws). It'll still be held together by the pivot that allows it to raise, but that's just a minor annoyance.
    Pull apart the casing at the end - you'll be forcing it a bit, but as long as you're careful, it won't break.
    While you're holding the casing open, pull out the end of the arm - you'll need to manoeuvre the Minicon peg round the screw shaft, so you'll need to wiggle it a bit, but as long as you hold the casing far enough open, it'll come out fine.

Once that's out, unscrew it as well (another 3 screws). Examine the Minicon peg - the thing that was stopping you from pulling the arm out before was the little blue assembly with the catch, mounted on a spring under the peg. Prise apart the back end of the crane arm and remove the Minicon peg. Take out the blue catch and the spring, then you can put the peg back in and reassemble the arm.

Bingo. You've still got the peg so you can attach a Minicon, but you don't need it to extend the boom.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :thumb . I might as well go do that now. I plan on making a couple different weapons for the combined Computron mode. One of which will be the combination of the indevidual bot's weapons. Any opinions about the possibility of Classics Mirage being used for Afterburner. I've got a couple mod ideas for him (nothing major though) already.

20. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Have you considered the roadbot motorcycles?

JL