Classics Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Cheebs, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    For starters, I really like this mold, but it does have it's problems. Primarily, the jet is too "thick" in the vertical direction. Almost all Starscreams have an undercarriage that's a mess...so I can't fault that here. But I will fault the sudden increase in vertical thickness going from the nose to the intakes. You hit the robot's shoulder area and, Bam! A 90 degree turn and a big block of plastic hanging down. Not a problem unless you look at the jet from the side.

The other major problem with the mold is the null-rays. They're just too big. Waaaaaaaaay too big. I know, child safety laws and all...so it's not even worth disscussing. But it detracts note-the-less.

My minor nit-pick of the mold is that there's no "pointy" part of the wing where it melds into the front of the jet body hanging down at the bottom in 'bot mode.

All-in-all, for a $10-$12 toy the mold is overall very satisfactory. I don't want this to sound too negative, because it really is a good design.

However, the biggest problem with the toy is the deco. It's just a mess. The 'bot mode is confused with too much red from the wing peaking through, gold knees, red stripes on the shoulders, blue around the edge of the cockpit, red in front of the head...it's just not well thought-out. Really kind of an eyesore. Needs more unbroken patches of solid color.

Speaking of the colors, the blues are way too saturated and the red leans too far towards orange. It's just off.

The jet deco doesn't fair much better. Again, I understand that $10 toys live and die on young kids, and kids won't go for just a plain gray jet. I can't really put any blame on Hasbro because they probably did the right thing as far as selling as many as possible go.

I know I was a bit harsh in this review, but let me stress that this really is a wonderful toy. In the end it's an articulated G1 Starscream with a recognizable jet. It succeedes where it counts.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll be the first to say it: pics?

And second, thanks for the first impressions. Hopefully, Starscream is the weakest of the Classics (which still would make him badass)

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

He's probably the first deluxe I'll get. I like the cartoony look of him online but aren't too keen on the jet color scheme.

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Biggest Problem : No landing gear...

5. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    flip his nipples.

6. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

I want that to becom a catch phrase, almost as much as I want Classics StarScream

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Even with flipped Nipple he still has lot of shortcomings. WHat we need a Combination of the best parts of Classics SS and RM SS for 1 actually decent toy.

8. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pictures please?

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Great Reviews. All I need to know is this- Is Screamer worth the 10 bucks. I'm most likely getting him anyways, but it would be nice to know if he is worth what he costs. Thanks in advance. Peace out.

11. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, YES. Here is my mini review of Classics Starscream.

Jet Mode

I agree with Cheebs here. The color scheme is a bit wacky, but hey, Hasbro has to pander to the kiddies and its not terribly bad.

Overall, I love the jet mode. The cockpit looks great-- its one of the highlights of the jet. I didn't have an issue with the underside or the side of the jet mode because for a $10 deluxe size figure I simply don't expect that stuff to be well hidden. And from the side, it looks good (aside from the mish mash of paint apps).

My only nitpick (and its minor) is the landing gear. On the plus side, there is no fear of losing pieces like with G1 SS. And the engineering of the landing gear (flip the nips) is kind of cool. Still, its not "true" landing gear. Its a minor fault.

The jet mode is superb, in my eyes. Its a decent balance of kid-centric colors with a great realistic-type mold design. My very last nitpick on the jet is that folding hinges are too visible on the body of the jet. Nothing is perfect but this comes close.

Jet Mode score: 9/10.

Robot Mode

Beyond awesome. The body proportions are just right. In comparison to Energon Starscream, he looks a little beefy. E-Screamer looks slender and thin next to him.

The paint apps are almost perfect. My only nitpicks here are the red on the wings and the grey on the chest turbines/fans (whatever its called). That grey really clashes with the otherwise traditional red chest.

Other positives: I love the head sculpt. One of the best TF head sculpts on a modern deluxe. The tailfins fold neatly into the side-- no more detaching pieces like on G1. I like and dislike the cockpit design on the chest. Its different, in a good way. But its not traditional-- which can be bad if your super traditionalist.

Negatives: The back half of the nosecone sticks a little above Screamers head in robot mode. Minor annoyance.

Robot Mode score: 9.5 out 10.

Robot Mode Articulation

Classics Screamer and Energon Screamer are comparable in articulation. E-Screamer has slightly better leg articulation but Classics Screamer has better arm articulation. With C-Screamer, you can swivel his entire shoulder and arm all the way back and pose him as if though he's looking forward but pointing straight back. It doesn't look too great, but its possible.

And I also would say that C-Screamer looks better in poses because he is not as lanky as E-Screamer.

Robot Mode Articulation score: 9 out of 10.

Transformation

Simple but interesting enough and not your typical SS transformation. Only major difference is that you pull his chest outward to unfold the arms and insert the head and cockpit into the chest. The only troublesome part is fiddling with the wings so that they don't get in the way while you transform him. But thats just a minor nitpick. I'd much rather have that then detaching wings.

Transformation score: 9.5 out of 10.

Overall

This is my new definitive Starscream. Nuff said.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    One little bit of info after more play:

This dude has balance issues in 'bot mode. He falls backwards waaaaaaay too easily. Thankfully, this is simple to solve. Just don't flip his tailfins up and they will give you the stability he needs. Personally, he also looks better with the tail fins down anyway.

Some poses are helped even further by bending the fins slightly downward as shown here:

[​IMG]

So for anybody pulling their hair out over balancing this guy, there you go.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine has some loose joints in the hip area... Nothing a little clear nail polish can't fix...

That said, I LOVE this guy...

9.0 out of 10.0 for me...

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only issues with Starscream are...

(i) The position of the nosecone behind the head restricts the neck articulation and looks odd.
    (ii) The joints that attach the wings to the back in robot mode are too loose and the wings flop around a little when manipulating the figure. The wings don't droop in static display poses (although that's a concern of mine if those pivots weaken over time), and it's nice that the wings shift to allow arm movement, but I'd rather the attachment was a little tighter.

Other than that, this is probably my favorite of all the Classics deluxes out thusfar. There are a few areas where I'll add some grey and black paint, and the wings need some repro Decepticon logos, but I like the colour scheme and the sculpting is quite nice. Besides the aforementioned places, the joints on mine are all very tight (almost too tight on the feet).

9/10

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To me he is the best of the deluxes. Classic look with modern engineering. Looks great in both modes. He is 99.99% perfect. Only tiny gripe is his arm cannon get in the way a tiny bit with the wings in robot mode. Other wise he is excellent. A+ from me.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My second favorite Classics toy. Like Megatron, even with the tiny shortcomings, it's spectacular. The landing gear is a little silly, but they could have just as easily left out landing gear of any type, so I appreciate them engineering even the little flip-out 'wheels'. The blasters are huge, but even in some shots of the cartoon, they'd stay pointed to the ground when he lifted his arms so it doesn't bother me at all. Best Starscream ever released (except maybe MP SS, if it had better colors)

A+++++++++

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wish they painted the edge and side of it red to match the rest of this chest... And painted the wheel/turbine black... But that's just a minor thing that can be fixed easily... The challenge is just matching the red on it...

18. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Starscream is my favorite Classic figure by far. The wings do restrict him from posing with his guns attached to his arms, but they can fit in his hands as well, just like the robot masters. I also did what Cheebs did with his guns on his wings, but I turned them pointing upwards to look like the G1 Rumble/Frenzy style. This is definitely one cool figure!

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I totally agree 100% I was actually going to add that in my post but I forgot. I'd be tempted to ty to paint the side of it...but I'm too unsure of my painting skills!

20. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Nice figure. Mine is a bit floppy, except for the tailfins, which make terrible cracking noises when moved.

Guns are large indeed, but the look good, on the wings, the arms, and in hand. Decently posable, pretty stable.

He has a certain lacklusteryness about him. Too much nasty grey plastic...I think I should have waited for Skywarp.

Good figure, not great, but still hella fun.

A/A-