classics starscream Brittle plastic SCREAM!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by g1er, Feb 21, 2012.

1. g1er

g1er Well-Known Member

Hi guys still pretty new here i have a classics starscream one of my true loves in the tf world and sadly i have some problems with him after many years of loyal service,
    i had him from new and noticed a few months ago that the tail wings that fold on the feet have cracked i have repaired these with super glue and they are fine now,
    however last night the nose cone fractured right off, i tried to fix it but couldnt, he still transforms and the nose holds on with friction, the plus point is he looks better with the cone missing off his head in robot mode but im really worried about it crumbleing like black zarreck and im worried about all my other tfs i never had a g1 toy break on me and my old ones from childhood like pretender thunderwing are still as good as they was nearly 30 years ago i dont want my other seekers to break after 6 years.

any one else had this problem.
    cheers rob

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    The cracked tailfins are extremely common to the point of being the norm. I never noticed it until my Skywarp had a chunk break off along one of the cracks. It took me a few years to replace, but I got another cracked one and sanded the tight spots like I did all the rest.

3. g1er

g1er Well-Known Member

yea i heard that the origianal classics screamer and skywarp had that problem but was the mold updated for other releases. my universe starscream which i prefer seems to be made of better plastic and feels a bit more flexable its also looser but not loose just right and holds poses and both modes well so im hoping this one done break, i guess the joints can be too tight for them to last in some cases, my generations thundercracker is fine for now but is pretty tight same with dirge and thrust, my henkei ramjet is pretty damn loose however. i still need to locate a skywarp, hes elusive and expensive.

4. g1er

g1er Well-Known Member

my worry is i noticed many figures of recent years have a slight metalic finish within the plastic and that makes me worry these will become brittle as i have heard metalic plastics are weaker and get worse with age.

5. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

My poor Acid Storm has a huge crack down behind the right stabilizer that folds for transformation. I've since opted to just leave him in robot mode. So far though, my Generations Thundercracker is holding up fine.

But these issues haven't anything to do with Gold Plastic Syndrome, if that's what you're worried about. The joints are thin and do go through some stress, especially if the pin wasn't driven in just right. If these issues were as a result of GPS, such thin parts would have crumbled long before now.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Those tight fins are why I don't transform them. They are always folded up for robot mode. Even if they are in jet mode.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skywarp did that to me a few years ago, was really peeved since it was right after City Commander released and the prices skyrocketed.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I leave the fins in the current position (down flat, in my case) and never move them - they are too tight and worry me.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is why I transform my figures once out of the package and leave them the hell alone.

10. g1er

g1er Well-Known Member

its crap though as when i buy a transformer i expect it to be able to do that it should be desighned better, i was a kid into g1 then got into it later and have noticed much as i love new figures that the desiners need to think more about the enginering, the rear stablisers would be better if made thicker and not so damn tight and or if they were clip fitted rather than pinned, also the connecting bars for teh nose cone to the head and the bar that conects the cockpit section that allows it to swivel and fold into the chest should be made of metal, then it would hold up well, and the main wing joints could be better too, that said i love this mold so very much but i wish they were made of sterner stuff. im glad i dont have to worry about gps, but i do enjoy tranforming them ocasionaly, aint that what its all about,