Customs: Classics Soundwave Idea

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. I haven't done a digibash for this idea, yet, but I figured I would post it now to try and get some opinions about it before I did any work on it in pant.net. Basically I've been trying to come up with a good mold idea for a Classics/Universe Soundwave kitbash. Here's one I just came up with. Start with either Cybertron Soundwave or the Blaster repaint, and then heavily mod him to give him a better bot-mode and a tape-deck, or something like a tape-deck, for an alt-mode. Like I said, it would take a lot of heavy mods and scratch building of parts, but I think it might work. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Surely if you wanted to turn it back into a tape deck, you might as well just grab a TRU reissue Soundwave and mod that?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That thought did come to my mind, but getting a Un. Blaster and moddifying him would be cheaper than trying to track down a TRU Soundwave. If I could find one for a decent price from someone here on the boards, I would go that route, but seeing as that is EXTREMELY doubtfull, buying a figure in a store and kitbashing it is my best option at the moment. If Hasbro were to reissue Soundwave again for the Universe line (like they are for Prime), that would be awesome, but that's really unlikely to happen.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd question how much cheaper it'd be to mod this mould, considering how much you'd have to do to it to get a decent deck mode out of it. You'd have to styrene it out the wazoo...

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've already got enough styrene that I should be covered for this.

I'm open to any reasonable suggestions for molds to start with, as long as they are molds I'll be able to purchase at retail in the next year or so, as it'll be cheaper and easier for me to buy something in a store than online.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I can see it.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm just wanting to get the head Sculpt-bot just made, do a head swap, and I'll be happy. I'm using my Cybertron Soundwave for my Classics Soundwave stand-in.

I really don't have the overwhelming need to have a tape deck for Classics.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Seriously? Wow, one of few times where someone else has liked an idea like this of mine, and someone who isn't Ezilla82 (he'll get what I mean by that). Another mold that I thought of was Inferno, as he's already really boxy, but I'm not sure that would work all that well. At least this way the chest and head already look pretty much the way they will when finished.

It's not that I absolutely need a tape deck transforming Soundwave, it's just that the kibble from the bomber alt-mode ruins this mold, imo. Also, I'm not sure what other alt-mode I could give the mold. A tape deck wouldn't be too hard with enough modifying.

9. Satomiblood

Look at this way: you've got the upper body (head, torso, and arms). You would need to remove the wings obviously and go for shorter, boxier legs that can fold up on either side to serve as his speakers. You may as well make a Classics Blaster using that mold while you're at it too. I see them from time to time during my visits to Walmart and TRU. Not a tough mold to get.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yep, that's basically what I was thinking. It'll also give my collection a Laserbeak, and that way he'll have two of his minions once I get Ravage and Hound. This being a Voyager sized mold will also help make him more in-scale with the Megs I've currently got in the works.

11. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    LOL My Music Label Soundwave is my classic Soundwave only draw back is no tape bots =(

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally don't like the way ML Soundwave looks. Something about the skinny legs and the hands doesn't look right to me. The head sculpt is probably the best thing about it, imo.

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Yep I know what you mean, Raven. I think do whatever you want to make a Soundwave for your collection. I mean I'll chose something different for Soundwave, but thats just my opinion.

14. Satomiblood

Are the arms of this figure on some sort of hinge that allows them to fold back?

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not sure. I've only ever handeled the mold once, and that was quite some time ago. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to hide his head in a tape deck mode or not...

16. Satomiblood

It's been well over 2 months since I last saw this on Page 1. Have there been any new developments?

I recently scored a Universe Blaster on eBay cheap ($12 shipped) and would be interested in tackling something like this some day.

17. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I thought about this one really hard, it would take a ton of modding especially the legs and head, but I would love to see one done.

18. Satomiblood

Is Action Master Blaster's head too small for this mold?

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nothing since my last post. To be honest, I've pretty much decided not to do it.

If I were to do this most of the mods would deal with the legs and arms. The head is one thing I like as-is.

Yeah, it is, but Sculpt-bot has made a Blaster head that'll fit the mold.

20. Satomiblood

Damn, I was hoping you'd do it. I'm currently working on an "upgrade kit" for a certain character and it's really taking shape. Anyway, I'll play around with the mold to see if how this sort of thing will work.

The transformation would be pretty straight forward since he'd just be a boombox. I'm more interested in a Blaster version though.