Minor/Repaint: Classics Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TENIME_art, Aug 26, 2007.

1. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Okay, I'm going to be giving Cybertron Smokescreen:

[​IMG]

...Beast Wars Cheetor's head, to be more like this picture:

[​IMG]

WIP pics will be uploaded here (yes, I finished Jazz, and will upload pics of him soon, but right now, I'm trying to fix SS since he's almost perfect).

I have a question first, though: for those expert repainters -

What kind of blue should I use that would match the blue on the car? I want to say a pearl (since it's kinda shiny), but if anyone knows an exact brand & name/serial#, that would help me out greatly!!

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice Concept but E.Rodimus has better Head for it.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice Concept but E.Rodimus has better Head for it.

4. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    But I don't have an Energon Rodimus. I have a Cheetor. You want to give me an E.Rod head, I'd gladly accept it.

How about instead of criticizing me, help me find the right color paint?

5. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    But I don't have an Energon Rodimus. I have a Cheetor. You want to give me an E.Rod head, I'd gladly accept it.

How about instead of criticizing me, help me find the right color paint?

6. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't think Autovolt was criticizing you...he was just stating that for such a good idea...Rodimus is definitely more accurate for the picture you posted.

Cheetor, while close, is a bit too rounded.

It will certainly work either way, and we can't wait to see what you accomplish.

As far as paint...take the toy into a Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts, or Autozone, and try to find a paint that looks similar. Thats your best bet.

7. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't think Autovolt was criticizing you...he was just stating that for such a good idea...Rodimus is definitely more accurate for the picture you posted.

Cheetor, while close, is a bit too rounded.

It will certainly work either way, and we can't wait to see what you accomplish.

As far as paint...take the toy into a Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts, or Autozone, and try to find a paint that looks similar. Thats your best bet.

8. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    I'm happy with it.

The Cheetor mold has that "mutant" head on the back. I'm not sure if this was the quickest solution, but here's how I dealt with that:

[​IMG]

- the two halves of the head are actually glued together. To split them, I wedged a utility knife into the seam to cut a bit, then used a fine tipped screwdriver to pry the halves apart. The eyes are a separate piece which comes out easily when you split the head (don't lose it!). Splitting the head makes it a bit easier to cut away space for a neck joint (which this head doesn't already have)

- with a utility knife, I shaved off all the obvious "mutant" features on the back of the head, until it was more or less rounded. Then I sanded it like crazy, first with a rough sandpaper, and then a fine sandpaper, until it was pretty round and smooth. Yes, that IS a lot of sanding. For most of it, I just but the sandpaper on the table and ground the head against it

- again with a knife, I started cutting a hole in the bottom of the head to put the neck joint. I also carved a lot of the interior of the head... there's really not much room in there.

[​IMG]

Now...to paint...

[​IMG]

9. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    I'm happy with it.

The Cheetor mold has that "mutant" head on the back. I'm not sure if this was the quickest solution, but here's how I dealt with that:

[​IMG]

- the two halves of the head are actually glued together. To split them, I wedged a utility knife into the seam to cut a bit, then used a fine tipped screwdriver to pry the halves apart. The eyes are a separate piece which comes out easily when you split the head (don't lose it!). Splitting the head makes it a bit easier to cut away space for a neck joint (which this head doesn't already have)

- with a utility knife, I shaved off all the obvious "mutant" features on the back of the head, until it was more or less rounded. Then I sanded it like crazy, first with a rough sandpaper, and then a fine sandpaper, until it was pretty round and smooth. Yes, that IS a lot of sanding. For most of it, I just but the sandpaper on the table and ground the head against it

- again with a knife, I started cutting a hole in the bottom of the head to put the neck joint. I also carved a lot of the interior of the head... there's really not much room in there.

[​IMG]

Now...to paint...

[​IMG]

10. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really see Smokescreen there as the horns are too rounded (and I think Rodimus' are too small) but painted it could look nice. I'll check back once you're done, it could be really nice.

Besides, the Cybertron mold is more rounded than the original design so it might work out well.

11. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really see Smokescreen there as the horns are too rounded (and I think Rodimus' are too small) but painted it could look nice. I'll check back once you're done, it could be really nice.

Besides, the Cybertron mold is more rounded than the original design so it might work out well.

12. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Thats gonna be pretty sweet :D 

13. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Thats gonna be pretty sweet :D 

14. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

I can see it working. Really interesting approach though using Cheetor.

Sorry my ps was a little rushed >.>

15. SlayerDarkCross

[​IMG]

I can see it working. Really interesting approach though using Cheetor.

Sorry my ps was a little rushed >.>

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... don't I get a citation on the head modding instructions? :) 

I agree that for Smokescreen, the horns are too long, too curved, and in yellow look way too much like bananas stuck to his helmet. :) 

I think cutting them short and at a sharp angle would probably be the best route... for Smokescreen I would probably cut them even shorter than I cut my Prowl horns. In the G1 artwork, his crest always seemed to be drawn smaller than Prowl and Bluestreak (even though the actual toy mold was identical).

I see your solution to the neck connector question was just to cut the hole in the bottom the right size so the new head fits perfectly over the old neck peg. Duh! So obvious! I can't believe I didn't see that right away! :) 

zmog

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... don't I get a citation on the head modding instructions? :) 

I agree that for Smokescreen, the horns are too long, too curved, and in yellow look way too much like bananas stuck to his helmet. :) 

I think cutting them short and at a sharp angle would probably be the best route... for Smokescreen I would probably cut them even shorter than I cut my Prowl horns. In the G1 artwork, his crest always seemed to be drawn smaller than Prowl and Bluestreak (even though the actual toy mold was identical).

I see your solution to the neck connector question was just to cut the hole in the bottom the right size so the new head fits perfectly over the old neck peg. Duh! So obvious! I can't believe I didn't see that right away! :) 

zmog

18. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    D'OH! Sorry. Those instructions were all SMOG. I copied and pasted them from a PM he sent me.

SDC, kick@$$ Photoshop!! It makes me more confident that this is gonna look great!

SMOG, could you draw on my (or SDC's) photo where I should cut? That's one reason I didn't (yet), because if I screwed it up, there's no going back and doing it over.

19. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    D'OH! Sorry. Those instructions were all SMOG. I copied and pasted them from a PM he sent me.

SDC, kick@$$ Photoshop!! It makes me more confident that this is gonna look great!

SMOG, could you draw on my (or SDC's) photo where I should cut? That's one reason I didn't (yet), because if I screwed it up, there's no going back and doing it over.

20. SlayerDarkCross

[​IMG]

Theres a few concepts for ya.

First is just cutting em in half
    Second is notching them
    Third is notching them again but further and darkening the yellow.