Customs: Classics Skids - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I honestly think that you could find a decent Honda sub compact model kit and reshell a RTS Jazz, new head, and boom you have a perfectly good Classic Skids.

3. Superquad7

News Credits:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

^Too round. Skids, imo, should be more blocky.

Secondly, i would shy away from the movie twins, if only because of the funny proportions and the fact that, again, Skids should be more blocky, and the twins have so much movie-style detailing they wouldn't really fit Skids.

I think the idea of getting a Model kit and then reshelling another TF would be best.

There might be a Roadbot that one could use for Skids, though personally i hate Roadbot molds, so that'd be out of the question for me, unless someone did a huge articulation job on it.

Also, i think that a Mistransformed WFC Soundwave would work very well. The swiveling leg armor allows for one to mimic the position of Skids' leg armor without actually mimicking the transformation mechanism. You'd have to change the chest (moving the shoulder armor down to the chest, removing the chest door in the process), but i think it'd be a great base mold to work with, blocky enough for Skids, but with enough angled lines to be stylish at the same time. Just needs a reshell and a new transformation.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The roundness in alt mode wouldn't bother me, especially since the nature of Classics - Generations+ is to "update". I think the robot mode parts wouldn't be a huge issue once kitbashed with other figures.

Anyways, I'm just thinking out loud here. I'd love for Hasbro to prove me wrong, but I just don't think we'll be getting a Skids update, especially due to the nature of the movie twin Skids.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see your Jazz and raise it a windcharger with a reshell from one of the twins tuner cars.

7. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

Funny, I was just thinking about this. Ironhide repaint was my first thought.

Then I thought of classic bumblebee (I'm using the legends sized one for my classics). But now, since skids didn't have a very big role in G1, I think I'm going to buy another bumblebee and make classic rotf twins, or make triplets and have 1 in g1 colours.

Also, energon towlines head would be a good match

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I was just playing around with a Mudflap for just a bit - the main thing that bugs me about that toy is that it's a major shellformer. The arms are on the rear of the vehicle, and I'd prefer to have the legs as the rear. That certainly doesn't mean that it couldn't be chopped up and such, as I do think the vehicle mode suits Skids well. That being the case, the shell makes for a lot of play room inside for parts.

10. G1 Milo

G1 Milo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Movie Skids into custom classic Skids -- anyone tried it?

I keep seeing Skids and Mudflap warming pegs in the area, and both vehicles seem like a modern analogue of Skids' original minivan-esque vehicle mode. Has anyone tried re-painting and converting them over to look like a "classics"-inspired G1 Skids? The main complaint I have with them is the heads, but it seems like they should be possible to replace/convert. I know that there was a group that was making alternate heads at one point for the Alternators line to fill out some gaps. Does anyone know of any good resources to find a G1 Skids-looking head to replace on the new figures?

Milo

11. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    I'm actually starting to work on a Skids custom from a Tuner Mudflap.

Energon Tow Line's head works well IMO.

12. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    some radicons did that, yes

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I recommend changing the arms too.

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ok, so I've been playing around with this just a bit more for sheer kicks. Photos of my idea so far below.

After looking at the mold, I really think the shell lends itself well to an update. The transform allows for a few cool things, such as the doors and the windshield emulating G1 Skids. After removing the chunky arms, the shell really shows that it has a lot of room for storage, so I think placing some alternate legs inside it folded up is a very real possibility. Also, the way Mudflaps arms transform provide an ankle swivel, so once legs were installed, the rear of the car as feet would even have an ready-made ankle joint (!).

I started playing around with Mudflap's own legs a bit more, and I feel that the assembly could fold into the chest with some modification. I think there are some options here. Either that could be done or something else. Also, I'd like to keep the hood on in robot mode, so that would mean a slight modification would need to be made for the neck plate.

Feel free to share your thoughts!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I like how your not giving up on this mold, and your starting to change my mind about it. :thumb 

Randy!

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Mudflap wouldn't give up on us! He's still on the shelves awaiting those who wish to play! Because he loves us!

:) 

There are certain molds like this that are often dismissed too easily simply because they're the scapegoat of our new toy search frustrations. For me, that's part of the greatness - literally anyone who has ever wanted to try out making Transformers customs can do so very cheaply with figures like Mudflap here.

I really think this mold would make a great Classics Skids if done right. I feel like I've just scraped the icing off of the cake :)