Classics should have been released AFTER the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure, no one could have predicted how big the movie was going to be, but if they had, the Classics line would have sold like hotcakes. We probably would have seen the 2.0's released a lot earlier too.

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I thought the Classics sold pretty good. Would be great to get 2.0 sooner though.

3. KingForm

KingForm Banned

What would have bridged the gap between Cybertron and the movie though? We're still clogged with Cybertron Monkey Primes and Demolishers in some places

4. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Except that Classics was created soley as a filler line BEFORE the movie to keep Transformers products ON THE SHELVES.

And then BotCon 2007 would have been completely different as the Classics molds wouldn't be available, there'd be no excitement for Classics 2.0, and it would also push things awkwardly for Transformers Animated.

Classics came out before the movie and that's a good thing.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    ^sums up what I was going to say

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I also agree with the above. It was a good filler that sold reasonably well except for a few figures. Plus, it meana classics 2.0 is more figures ontop of the first set.

7. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

yep,total filler that served its purpose perfectly.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Classics anytime are great. But what they really should have sold after the movie were Alternators. IMO, Hasbro fumbled big time on not doing that.

9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Alternators didn't sell well with kids. And it was causing a lack of repeat customers because the transformations were too complex for kids. It was a lose-lose situation for Hasbro.

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I've been trying for the last 10 mintues to think of a way to respond to this idea that isn't flaming.

I settled on this. Bad idea.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    if Classics had been sold after the movie, we'd never be able to find them. Toy draught for the lose.

12. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had thought of this too, especially since a good amount of my TFs are classics. But from a marketing standpoint it would have been a good way to introduce new fans to the oldschool G1 line, and bring back the interest of old fans who watch the film for nostalgia. Hey, just a thought.

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

And we would all still have a small glimmer of hope of getting Thundercracker at a normal price someday.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The movie figures seem to be flying off the shelves just fine. I prefer it this way, by the time more classics come about things will have calmed down a bit and finding new classics won't be as bad as 08 Bumblebee (we hope).

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    In most places the Classics line already sold like hotcakes (save for a few characters that seemed to hang out on the pegs like Astrotrain). As for anything else I was going to say, it was pretty much summed up by Kickback here (and I'll quote him because it doesn't seem anyone ever listens to his words of wisdom for some reason):

^ Sums up my fealings exactly.

Still a chance or two to get that I'd say (though I've got a Botcon one already). Honestly, I'm wondering if Takara can put one out in their Classics line as long as it's different enough from the Botcon set (after all, Hasbro does replicas of Takara's exclusives as long as they've been significantly changed... Red Excellion to Cybertron Excellion anyone?). Another thing they could do is make an all new mold for Universe (Classics 2.0) and start with the unreleased Seekers. As long as they're different from the Botcon versions I don't see it breaking any agreements with MC. Though, it would depend greatly on how the wording was between Hasbro and MC as well.

16. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I would not mind seeing a new run of Classics out there again for people now that the main movie line has died down, and it'll be a while until Allspark Power and Animated hit.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Actually, the Allspark Power 'refresher' should be hitting shelves between late November and sometime December. Depending on where you are respectively when you'll actually see these guys. But all the solicitations that we've received at Target seem to say by December.

Animated won't be until sometime after the series premiers. They've got some weird idea that they're going to create demand in a fickle child's mind by making him wait a month for toys of a show he watched a month prior to the toys release. Lame marketing move if I ever saw one... and it worked so well when they did it with Beast Machines too...

18. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

You guys really need to just stop hoping for the seekers. Its not going to happen. If it did, they'd never sell but a handful of botcon sets again. I would never pay the price for a Botcon set if even by chance a similar repaint was released. TakTom won't risk pissing off anybody right now anyway.

19. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: 

Did someone really have to mention that? Get over it. Wait silently for news of whether or not Takara releases them, but seeing posts about it every single time someone mentions classics is so damn annoying. It isn't going to happen just because people keep posting about it.

:horse: 

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's an obsession, it is!