Minor/Repaint: Classics Shockwave - My first custom :)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ScoobyGoo, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

So I just finished up my first custom after lurking round Radicons for a while and figured I had to have a pop myself (W.I.P Here). So I gathered together an Energon Shockblast and a Universe Treadbolt, took a trip to my local Games Workshop for black base coat, a few paints and some green stuff and set to work.

I'm quite happy with how he turned out, though I haven't finalised what I'm doing for his hose.

The aim was to display this guy in bot mode, so the alt modes are a bit weak and I have no idea how the original toys "satellite" mode was supposed to go, so I just kind of mangled that, and the gun was a mis-transformation that I was playing about with to try get a weapon mode with no partsforming involved, hope you guys enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    that looks good =)

3. ScoobyGoo

Thanks man, the temporary blue tack holding the hose doesn't look as bad as I thought

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Looks great!

5. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

I really like that. Here's a pic of mine, in progress. I found it in one of my older kids old toy bins and decided to fix him up. Of course I can't paint worth a crap, so he'll just look pretty much like this once he is finished. I love your paint job though. The replacement arm is from a broken Radio Shack Shockwave I have. And the treads are from KO constructicon Scavengers.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks great all finished! I really like the purple and the silver.

Renegade Razor, you should start a thread with you pics that way more people see it in case they miss this thread.

7. ScoobyGoo

Cheers guys!

Do you mean the shiny purple/silver bits Sol? It took a while to figure it out, but by the end I was loving doing the purple wash. Added a nice contrast to the darkness of the rest of the figure.

Razor, join the club and get another custom Shockwave thread on the go :) 

Anyway, I thought that I uploaded these already, but they failed to upload due to file size, to outcomes the old image editing software and time for round 2!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Looks great! I'm trying to do one of these right now myself and hope it turns out this good! what paints did you use to get that finish, and where did you snag that gun piece (on left arm) from? Thanks for the help here!

9. 1980kid

1980kid Well-Known Member

first custom, amazing!!!!!! cant wait for your next!!!

10. ScoobyGoo

Thanks man, good luck with your version!

I used Citadel Liche Purple, along with a little energon, and a lot of dry brushing! This was capped off with a few light coats of Citadel Purity Seal, its a matt varnish for light coats, but gets a kind of satin shine if you apply a few coats (or 1 thick, but I wouldn't recommend that).

The silver/purple parts have been given a decent covering of Mithril Silver, followed by a layer or two of a very watered down purple Liche Purple. The last few parts painted like this turned out much better than the first (I wish I'd experimented on something else first with that)

The gun piece for the arm is from Treadbolts back pack, the spring loaded bit has 2 pieces that I sawed off for the hand (one smaller piece to fill the hand hole, then the main bulk for the rest).

I did use some green stuff to hide the gap where the small piece connected the arm and the gun and build up a slope and enclose the end so that it looked a bit more integrated.

Now that I've gotten the bug for customs I've got far too many ideas for things to do, but not enough time...I think I'm gonna turn Cybertron Hardtop into Beachcomber with a new head, some modelling on the chest and a lick of paint, just waiting for him to arrive! (I think my ideas for CHUG duocons shall have to wait till I've got a bit more experience :) )

11. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    that's awesome!

12. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

awesome

13. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This s very impressive for a first ever custom. You did a really good job mate. Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

congrats

14. ScoobyGoo

Cheers guys, I figure I'm going to have a bit more of a bash at the next one, lots green stuff, styrene and sanding. I've started working on someone that has only been done once or twice, but I've never seen it with the base figure I'm using.