Minor/Repaint: Classics Seekers: Skywarp and Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by skeith09, Apr 16, 2010.

1. skeith09

skeith09 Well-Known Member

ok well again im new here somewhat and this is my First repaints

im on a budget so im sure ill hear the paints I used were sucky but they came out allright to me for the most part I could stand to do some touch ups and give them one last sprayin to seal them but anyway

I used mostly Krylon paints from wally world
    and for some I use to try them out some painters pens/markers from elmers

anyway here they are
    they started out as Starscreams like the center one and now the Trio is here!
    lol XP

Attached Files:

2. skeith09

woops forgot somebody!

Attached Files:

3. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    It looks like the spray from the can was uneven as the paint is built up around some areas. Make sure to hold the can a few feet from your figure and after shaking it up a bit start spraying off the figure and move your arm and the can in smooth even motions over it back and forth for a few seconds. It won't cover the figure in one go, so wait for it to dry and do another coat. That way the paint will go on evenly and consistently. Once it's fully cured, flip the pieces and repeat the get the areas the paint didn't reach. A satin finish is also a good choice at first and then seal it with a clear gloss coat if that's the look you're going for.

Pick up some painters tape and mask the areas on the wings you want to paint stripes on so you get nice even lines. I don't think there's anyone on the forum who can free hand perfectly straight lines, so why even try? :D 

4. skeith09

yea I try to take my time with this besides work and dryin time
    I spent about 2-3 weeks on these 2 (did them both at the same time,Sprayed one while the other set and cured)

lol yea I try a trick I saw on youtube about puttin strips on thundercracker but it didnt work so well it said to use maskin tape

but anyway yea I can tell something wasnt goin right but seein as it was my first try I decided to keep goin since I had gone that far

just as a future ref tho if I wanted to give a go from scratch
    (and rather then buyin more of these hard to get classics)

does anyone know of a cheap effective way to take the paint off so I can re do it
    without harmin the toy?

or would it be better to just try and get another classics?
    most likly acidstorm I guess

since im still learnin and on a budget I can take as many comments and thoughts as possible

5. cuters

cuters Diabolist

rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush

6. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

The paint that is already on it will give you ZERO problems if you sand it down properly (the whole thing) and ALSO make sure you sand down the potential rub spots even more.

Sanding actually helps the paint adhere better. Think of a car getting a new paint job...first they break the finish by sanding, then prime, then paint. It's the same thing here really. I do a full sand (coarse first, then fine to smooth a bit) then 'lightly' prime, then paint.

7. skeith09

really?

iv used that to help try and take the lines off of Recon ironhide only with a qtip
    and it killed my Fingers ><

but ok ill keep that in mind

8. skeith09

iv never sanded down anything before really
    im not one for cars either ^^'
    less they turn into robots lol

but I think I get why on sandin tho
    helps the plastic take the paint better

cause iv noticed on some plastics it does fine but others the first lil bit already seems to get cracks and granny in a way

9. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

hmmm...maybe try using 400 grit or even 600 for sanding. It's a pretty fine grit sandpaper and won't cause grainy surfaces or cracks. I used the alcohol method before and I am not knocking it, but it didn't work for me. The paint did come off yes but that was after a loooong time of scraping it off with a toothbrush which completely sucked. Again, it did come off and the method works, I just prefer sanding because it's a lot less time consuming and works very well (for me anyway).

10. cuters

cuters Diabolist

use a firm brisel brush and soak the peices in 70% iso.