Classics Seeker bootlegs...what are the odds?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unpunk, Apr 29, 2007.

1. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

After seeing the G1 Decepticon cassettes being bootleged in every possible color/opacity imaginable (along with Swoop, and what appears to be the other 3 Autobot cars missing from Takaras TFC set [and maybe more coming according to some people]), do you think the possibility exists for these same people to do the random colored seeker based off the Classics Starscream mold? Failing that, how long do you think it'll be before we see bootleg versions of the botcon seekers? These people seem pretty keen on detecting what people are screaming about (even if it's about 2 years behind in the case of the G1 cars:)  If bootlegs surfaced for these would anyone buy them if they were about the same price as the regular Starscream figure or even a little more? Random decepticon colored seeker or otherwise ("otherwise" obviously being the botcon seekers). I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet or not... and I'm not hating on the Botcon exclusives. I think they look great and I might still get a set.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I was thinking about this a while back too... I'm not sure how likely it is we'll see bootleg/KO classics. I don't know how big Classics were in Asia, but usually the stuff that gets knocked off are the bigger properties on the asian toy scene.

And what quality level would they be? At this point, I doubt the high-end KO makers would bother... the cassettes, G1 cars, etc... those are mostly collector's market items. It seems more likely that we'd see KO's aimed at the broader kids toy market.... that is to say, way cheaper.

That said... I would LOVE to see an oversized (say 1.5 times bigger?) classics seeker KO... preferably in a level of quality comparable to the oversize Robotmasters figures, or the Happywell products. That Classics seeker mold is just a bit too small relative to the rest of my collection. :) 

zmog

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd imagine classics will eventually be knocked off by someone, if it hasn't been already. Pretty sure it won't be by the people who do the 'quality' G1 knockoffs, because their purpose is apparently catering to collectors (and people who can't tell the knockoffs from the genuine G1 articles.)

4. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

That would be awesome as long as they don't carry the crazy high price ><

5. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

was there a Green g1 seeker? i thought i saw a green one in one of the g1 episodes where trailbreaker and bluestreak returned to cybetron?

6. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    I actually saw a Knock off Swoop and a knock off G1 Soundwave box tonight , my friend bought them, must admit, they look pretty nice. Can still tell they aren't legit.. but the Soundwave box is the closest to looking like the original i've seen thus far.

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only in the show. There were times in the show where there were oddly colored seekers that were not standard characters.

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I wouldn't mind if they got knocked off, I need some kitbash fodder.

9. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

I'd buy a set, but I'd prefer they be the quality knock offs. As a collector I still find the prices on the botcon set to be a bit of an insult and would gladly pay up to a hundred for the extra 3 seekers from someone else; just so I don't feed the machine for outrageously overpriced toys.

10. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Its completely unlikely for the actual Botcon molds.

Hasbro keeps everything around so they can re-release or re-color something easily. Botcon destroys the molds. They used to destroy leftover stock as well. Extra plates from the friday dinner got smashed.

These are supposed to be very very limited run collectables and it RUINS the value of them if any more are made. The reason they are so "overpriced" is because they're garaunteed never to be produced again, thus the value is retained. Hasbro could feasibly to a run of virtually any figure in the past 15 years or so at a moments notice, but Botcon Thrust is getting made ONCE and ONLY ONCE.

Thats why they're called "EXCLUSIVES"

11. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I just need Thrusts wings. Wouldn't break my heart if one of those guys thats good with reverse molding and just do a set of Thrust wings. I image they would sell a lot of them.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was kinda wondering the same thing, would it be possible to do a casting of thrust's wings? I don't know if they're too big or if it's possible to get them off the figure without destroying them. I'm not going to botcon, but I'd love a set of wings to try to put on an extra ramjet.

13. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

If Thrusts wings are like SS/SW/RJ, they will just have a peg on them that will allow them to pop on and off of the wing joint.

14. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Maybe stating the obvious...

Shipley, I know what the term "exclusive" means, I'm not retarded. Bootlegs are often cast from a toy, reverse engineering, right? I understand that it's in botcons best interest to destroy the molds that they paid for, but I'm asking if it's likely that the seekers will be reverse engineered and have new molds cast for that figure. I could see whoever is making these newer bootlegs, buying a botcon set and puting out a thrust, etc because the market is definitely there. Whatever your feelings are on originals vs bootlegs and the "collectability factor" is not what I was asking. If you prefer the originals, cool. That wasn't even the question I was posing...

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't know if any of you remember or not, but back when MP-01 and 20th Prime were first released, I bought a MP for the stacks. I made a mold of them and sold them for $10 to those who bought 20th because he was cheaper. Granted they weren't chrome ( just chrome painted ), but they looked good with the battle damage. I kept selling them until A3+ started selling chromed ones.

Why am I bringing this up now? I can't attend Botcon this year, but I did order an Iacon package and a loose set. Granted, I won't get them until way after the con due to having to wait on them to be mailed, but when I do, I plan to make molds of the wings. I can't sell them for $10 obviously, but it'll be much cheaper for kitbashers to make their own than to buy the set.

16. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    Woot! Woot!

I can't wait to see how yours turn out.

17. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It could happen. I can't say how likely it is, but I think it would be a bad move. So far, except for Prime and Laserbeak and Ravage, this company has stayed away from toys that Hasbro and Takomy are actually working with and have rights to. But the Magnus parts showed up recently in a picture, and they have an active, functional mold for that toy. That can't make HasTak happy at all. And if they copies the unique parts from these figures, I have a feeling they'd have a third legal team combining forces to find a way to end them. It would bring a lot of unwanted attention, along with any appreciation it got them.

18. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Excellent!

19. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Thanks Magnus Primal! That's kind of the direction I wanted this thread/question to go in, IE: "Will we see some repro parts or bootlegs". That's all, THANKS and keep us posted on how things turn out.

20. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Sweet.