Classics Rodimus vs RTS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus12, May 22, 2012.

1. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

So is there really a big difference between the two? DOes the classics one use better qualiity plastic?

thanks!

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Different paint job. The RtS version has brighter and more "cartoonish" coloring. Most consider the Classics version superior.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Classics also has better quality control. Rts falls to bits.

4. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two words: Painted windows.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The classics one is made using better materials. Not vastly better, but there is a difference. RTS version's elbows stress easily, and there's issues with the fit of some parts. His backpack isn't as tight, and some people report his arms balljoint popping loose easily. Mine's arms have never come off, but his elbows do have some scary stress marks at the pins.

classics one has a clear windshield, and light piped eyes. RTS one does not. Eyes and windshield are painted blue.

classics has an orange spoiler, RTS has a proper yellow spoiler.

RTS one is based on the animation model, and has a ton more paint apps than the classic one has. However, some color choices were odd, like how the flame on the hood is really hard to make out against the light orange paint that covers the rest of the hood. The yellow paint on the spoiler scratches off fairly easily as well. On the upside, he has accurate wrist details, his crest and ears are painted a darker red, his hands are painted gray, along with his lower legs, and because of all this, he's for the most very screen accurate.

classics has a much more normal red color, while the rts version has a more orangey red which isn't cartoon accurate at all, despite what they were obviously trying to go for. It's the one department they really failed at delivering screen accuracy with this toy.

Personally, I liked them both, but liked the more animation accurate RTS version so much more that I sold my classics rodimus without a second thought. classics Rodimus never looked like Rodimus to me. RTS does.

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The difference: RTS Roddy sucks, IMO.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Go with the United version, it's the best looking version of this mediocre toy.

8. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can ignore the mis-matched top in alt mode. If I had an old henkai I'd agree but classics wins vs the newer united in my opinion.

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

However, if you are getting the 2 pack, they Cyclonus is great!!

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get RTS Rodimus if you're a fan of mold degradation.

11. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    some pics of both..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have Henkei Rodimus in the Protector set, and I use the RTS on as Hot Rod...

12. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I hope you meant Henkei, because that mismatch paint job on the United make it arguably the worst in my book. That isn't saying much however, IMO all of the mainline (Henkei, Classics, United, RTS) Rodimus/Hotrod decos are all sort of ho-hum in their own ways, and are overshadowed by the redecos into other characters and the clear exclusive decos.

RTS could have been, better, the base colors are okay, but the paint is thin with the apps on the head, and the flames on the hood are screaming to be pinstriped/outlined in a contrasting color so it can stand out.

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would take the Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus. He has no rubsign. I like the deco better than classics. Only downside is, that the yellow flames on the hood don't have a high contrast and are barely to see. Henkei is the best version to me, because that version looks in every mode good. United wins in robot mode, but I don't like how much it looks in alt mode.

I have Henkei in robot mode and Challenge at Cybertron in carmode on another shelf.

14. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't stand the RTS Rodimus it's just cheap and really bad looking. I have a reissue and will be quite happy with it instead.

15. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I have both on the shelf. One as a bot and the RTS as a car. I ended up doing the canopy mod to the RTS one, and I looks kinda cool displayed with the lid open...

16. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Get the classics

17. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As many have suggested, there are a few reasons the BiS Hot Rod is inferior. However, he can be acquired pretty much dirt cheap still, if price is at all a factor in hour decision. He ducks a lot less if you can still get him for $20 AND get the Cyclonus too. If money is a relative non factor, you can still get the Henkei version for under $40 and that one looks the best in my opinion.

18. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics! Also for all the info!

I left out I already have RTS Rodimus. He is a pretty decent toy, although the quality is probably the worst of my TFers. The arm does pop off, but I picked up a KO Shatteredglass Rodimus, which was missing pieces. I used rts for parts (painted em black and replaced missing parts).
    So don't have much use for him. I just didn't get why the classics version went for so much more. Although I think I may pick up the classics to go better with the protector kit. :) 

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you can spring for it, I recommend the Henkei version. I was able to get a good deal on one and am really glad I did. Others have already noted the differences in the toys. The Rodimus mold is really showing its age now, in quite a number of ways (both with mold degradation and in design). It's still a really cool toy, though :thumb 

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I recommend any version other than the RTS Roddy...by the way what do you guys mean by mold degradation? Do you all mean that subsequent releases of the Rodimus toy isn't good because the mold is degenerating?