Classics Rodimus Canopy mod help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Downfall, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Downfall

Downfall Member

Ebay:
    could some one post a detailed guide to do this mod please the only one i found was deleted
    picture is only there becase it would not let me submit this withn out a picture

Attached Files:

2. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    i just did this mod 2 days ago for a local guy.

1.remove the flanged screw on the bottom of the car mode that allows the whole canopy to spin around.

2.with the canopy assembly in hand,remove the pin at the back of it,which should give you 2 pieces.(the back trunk middle chunk and the front canopy upper and lower halves)

3.remove the last screw from underneath the canopy and it should seperate like a clam shell.

4.on the 2 grey hinges on the lower half of the canopy,sand the very front and half of the top of them at a 45 degree angle.i used a nail clipper first to speed it up,but keep in mind you want clearance for the canopy lid to pivot,but you still want meat in there as it's a hinge point.

5.on the upper canopy/glass piece,you'll want to remove almost all the plastic on the very rear facing part of it,leaving only an eight of an inch before the roof line.this will give you clearnce so the bottom of the top canopy doesn't smash into the back bottom of the assembly when you open it later on.

6.sand down the very back corners of the upper canopy to add a bit more clearance so that in car mode when you open it,it doesn't catch and scratch your paint job.

you'll also want to sand/round off the upper back lip of the canopy for more clearance.

7.reassemble the pin into the upper/lower/trunk middle piece.

8.very important....do not re-install the screw that's situated behind the seats.only re-install the flanged screw that's under the center console/arm rest.if you install the screw that's behind the seats,it won't open.

9.optional, but if you want to make it so that you don't have to split his hood downwards to open it,at the very front of the canopy,carefully shave it down to the outer shape of the engine on his hood.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

This is a better question better asked in CGD, but no biggie.

I posted as detailed a tutorial as I could a couple of weeks ago in this thread here. There's only one photo, as I did the mod years ago and didn't take WiP pics, but I think it should serve its purpose. :) 

4. Downfall

Downfall Member

Ebay:
    problems

how do i remove the pin

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

6. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

When I first started out on this website, a really great mod told me to abuse the search button like it owed me money! :D 

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Though only once a minute. ;) 

I do like that phrase. :lol 

8. Downfall

Downfall Member

Ebay:
    used method the pin wont move

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pins can be stubborn sometimes, all you can do is try the soldering iron method to heat the pin for 10 seconds at most (not touching plastic at all!) or just keep trying with the hammer and pin I'm afraid.

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    If you have a dremmel or other rotary tool, you can try my pin removat method:

Load up a tiny drill bit (same diameter or smaller than the pin), wail away on the pin with the drill for a while (being careful not to slip and hit the plastic! That's the tricky part), much like the solderiron approach this will eventually heat up the pin enough that it should pop out the other side a bit, at which point you can grab and pull with pliars.

Pins are THE biggest PITA with customizing, but my lazy-bastard approach will usually do the job.

11. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I use a 1/16 pin punch I picked up at Lowe's, does the trick everytime!

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Discussions of modifications, etc. go in Creative General Discussion.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I can't stress this enough. Mine got a very tiny hairline crack as I hammered mine out.

14. Superquad7

News Credits: