Minor/Repaint: Classics Roadblock WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hooper_X, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

No, not the rapping dude from GIJoe, the 1989 Ultra Pretender. This was one of those ideas that just kind of popped in there one day - pretty much everyone hates the Armada Smokescreen mold and I was trying to think what I could do with it to make it more interesting. As it turns out, I had a spare RiD Wedge plow from another kitbash, and mounted on the front of Smokescreen, it resulted in a pretty badass-looking machine. The main additions here are the plow, which is held on with magnets, the dual cannon, which came from a Zoids kit, and the head, which came from Armada Hoist. His chest bumper/winch assembly is the front end from Beast Machines Blastcharge, and fills the hole left by the original toy's winch assembly. Another little touch I like is a leftover from Smokescreen; the toy had this flip-up canopy thing on one arm that didn't make any sense, so I mounted a "machine gun" in front of it, so it looks like a crew member could pop up through it and start blasting enemies.

At this point I need to touch up some of the paint, clearcoat, and maybe add some decals - he needs Decepticon symbols, and I was thinking some kind of stripes on the vehicle's sides. I also want to put some kind of metallic red on his Mini-Con port, so it looks like a siren. He's actually a really nice purple, by the way, about the same shade as the original toy's joints, but it just doesn't register right on a computer, I'm afraid. (and yes, I know he sort of looks like Evil Impactor.)

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Wow, that looks sweet. I like how you combined the colors from his Pretender shell with the bot colors itself, very creative.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

you are very talented. I really like the mods and the color scheme is top notch.

4. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice, looks like Impactor from the Wreckers. :) 

5. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Very cool. What color purple is the paint? Or is it custom?
    -G

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

The purple is actually one of those Folk Arts/Apple Barrel deals that are a buck at Wal-Mart. Grape something-or-other. I mixed it with a dash of Future so it would go on smoother.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, this is a great idea, and you executed it nicely! Great work :thumb 

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, actually makes the mould look worth having. And for smokescreen that's a tall order.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    love this... ive been wondering what to do with my smokescreen, now i know... even picked up an Armada wedge from the LCS wednesday... where're the magnets held?

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Lumpy - I mounted a magnet in each of the arms for the plow. they clip onto flat-topped pins I drove into the sides of the vehicle's bumper and then painted over (the sort of pins that are used to hold robot heads or vehicle wheels on).

It's not QUITE as stable as I'd like, but it allows for some wiggle room and the ability to raise and lower the plow.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    nice man... i love it... think it works so well...