Minor/Repaint: Classics RiD Ultra Magnus WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Kouri, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I managed to grab a Classics Ultra Magnus and decided to go to town on the guy. No armor for this one - One suit is more than enough for me to work on at a time. ^^;

Still, went about with the same basic idea as my Alt - Ultra Magnus would be a great figure, if Hasbro would at least go through the trouble of making a blue and black repaint with a retooled head. No paint on this guy yet, but a few mods so far (I honestly don't see them as "major," but if a mod feels the need to move it, feel free to do so).

The head is actually a leftover from my Alt Magnus. I was trying to modify a Prime head to resemble the RiD Magnus sculpt, but tossed this one aside when I actually got a hold of an RiD Magnus. ^^; The head swap was easy enough - knock out the pins that held Alt Prime's neck and Classic Magnus' head in place, swap them around, and screw the neck post into place.

The formula for this kind of head's pretty simple. Move Prime's crest down to the bridge of his nose, build up some area around his brow, square and flatten the crown. Knock off the face plate and give 'em a mouth to yell at folks with. =/

Sadly his shave could use a bit of smoothing out. I'll get to that before paint.

The cab window/arm mode was inspired by Massdestruction and ended up being simple enough. Mine won't slide in-and-out, but they're plenty secure. ^^ Knock out the pins that hold the sides to the arms. Shave off any material inside that would collide with either the internal cab or the sides of the grill, and glue the suckers onto the bumper. They fold in back during the transformation and keep out of the way, so long as you move the whole assembly up a bit.

The wind vane now works as a shield. If you keep it on back and combine it with the stacks, while also flipping out the third barrel, it is reminiscent of his RiD gun, but he sadly can't hold onto it.

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Now that's an interesting twist. Looks like you may have taken a tip from Massdestruction, with the cab panels on the bumper. And a ball jointed neck, too. Tasty.

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Huh, yer right about the tip. I should get that credited. o.o *Oh-so-forgetful*

The difference between my cab bits and his is that his has the advantage of sliding both in and out. I wanted to keep away from twist-tie construction, however, and couldn't think of a simple, stable way to bring that feature - so I just cut off every bit that would prevent it from rotating in and out. So long as it's brought up high enough, there aren't any collisions to worry about.

As for the ball joint - it's pretty much just for show. Alt Prime's neck doesn't allow for any movement aside from side-to-side. 'Sa shame, but I don't really have the room to make it functional anyhow.

Also, decided to keep the stack-blaster. Turns out the wind vane makes for a wonderful shield that pegs right into the hole left behind from the cab piece. I'll drill a longer hole in the morning and snap some shots then. ^^

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Okie dokes - shots of the shield are up. ^^ Also figured out a nifty homage to his RiD blaster. Now if only he could hold it. . .

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had actually asked about using an RiD head earlier this month. Never came up with anything, si I am still working on it.......good job on this one!

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Looks great so far, man! The head really looks like RID Magnus and I really like the way you rigged his weapon/shield. Keep up the great work--can't wait to see it finished. (I'm also a huge Magnus fan of all incarnations--I just did my own G1 "toon-styled" Classics Magnus here a few weeks ago).

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh, yeah - I didn't notice the overhead weapon before! I actually figured that one out the other day when I was playing with Prime - although I made more use of it in truck mode...

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    It wasn't there before. ^^; Lotsa photos addes since you first popped in. X3

Yeah, now that I actually own mold, Magnus' head is a good deal too big. Even if you got the sides down to size, his head's just to big front-to-back to allow the vane to go down all the way. Even this modified Prime head has some trouble. ^^;

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh... that explains alot. :p 

Out of curiosity, what made you switch out the existing head for the Alt one - was it just the balljoint? Because I often find it's easier, as long as it's practical, to use the head originally intended for the body, and just try not to add too much more than you take away.

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    The alt Magnus head was already a good deal of the way finished before I started on this guy. XP