Minor/Repaint: Classics RiD Ultra Magnus WIP Update 1

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Kouri, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    This is pretty much the last update before paint - all that needs to be done now is touch up and smooth out a few areas. I've carved out some of the extra plastic from the inner cavity and from the back of the head so that the wind vane fits flush in the alt mode.

Speaking of the vane, clearance issues prevent it from taking its original blaster form, but it's got a few new ones to make up for it. The usual shoulder-cannon mode has been modified to allow the third barrel to flip out. It can be held in his hand or mounted on his arm (I don't believe I was able to grab a shot with it mounted on his arm). It's a bit unstable because I shaved off a bit too much from the stacks, but it works. Either way, I prefer the vane on its own as an arm-mounted cannon. It's got a spiffy x-shape that I much prefer over the original configuration.

Stacks are pretty much the same - they've only had a few bits shaved down to allow for the combined blaster.

Umm. . . dunno. Anything I'm forgetting?

Attached Files:

2. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Cool. You gonna give it a G1 paint job?

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm assuming since he referred to it in the previous thread as being RiD-style (hence the face), that he'll paint it in those colours. I spose it's already partway there, actually, and I can see it working well.

It's a cool twist on the idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Out of curiosity, Kouri, how did you extend the post on the vane cannon (which you must have done to allow it to fit into his hand in that mode), and did you have to drill out the mount that holds it in truck mode to accommodate it?

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    RiD all the way. Hopefully it'll just mean a few touch ups, because I'm too lazy to wait a week for a full-on paint job to cure. XP

As for extending the handle, all it took was grabbing a bit of plastic rod (A junker Tigatron was happy enough to donate a bit with a hole already drilled, though I assume tube/rod styrene could do the job as well) and getting a hold drilled through it. Then drilling the end of it with a bigger bit to allow the head of a screw to fit inside of the rod. Drill a hole into the original peg, and screw the new one on for a test fit. If all is well, unscrew a bit, and dab a bit of crazy glue inside each rod. Hurry and screw the sucker on before the glue dries! XP

The upper post had to be drilled out and the small block under the hole removed, but there was plenty of empty space underneath the hole to accommodate the larger peg.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Amen to that, brutha... :p 

I'm trying to improve on my patience, though. As I said in my Wheelie thread, I really want to stop cutting corners (e.g. not cleaning figs before painting them) to improve my finished results.