Classics - Re-Releases & Takara/Tomy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    First off, believe me when I say that I'm having as many apprehensions about starting a new thread about Classics as most of you are probably having about reading it, but hopefully these questions are a little more pseudo intelligent (and less redundant) than what we're used to seeing :) 

With the upcoming relaunch of Classics 2.0 aka Universe and pics of some new 2-packs we've seen show up in recent weeks, do you think there's any possibility that Hasbro may re-release the original waves so that the line gets momentum again before the new figures start hitting shelves? Since I've never personally seen Hasbro do this before - resurrect a filler or cancelled line - I have no idea what to expect... if anything at all.

Has there ever been an official reason given as to why Classics were not released through Takara/Tomy? I remember seeing various people say things along the lines of "I'll wait for a properly colored Japanese version" in reference to Classics Megatron when he came out - assuming that it would definitely happen at some point. But it didn't. And in more recent months, various people saying how they hope Takara/Tomy would release their own version of the Seekers in response to the BotCon exclusives fiasco... which I always thought was weird considering they've never released ANY Classics to begin with. So was this a line exclusive to Hasbro worldwide, or did T/T just not bother with it because of their rumored financial woes and/or concentration on other things like Masterpieces, Sports Label & Music Label before the movie stuff took priority? Could it perhaps change now that Classics/Universe is coming back as a quasi official sub-line?

I have no assumptions or expectations either way of what Hasbro or Takara/Tomy might do with the old & new Classics figures - I just thought it could be interesting to see what some of you who pay more attention to this stuff have to say on the subject. I know I would personally like to see the originals re-released en mass so as to drive down resale prices on places like eBay for late-comer collectors, and of course to see a version of Megatron painted in more accurate G1-ish colors for current collectors, but at this point I don't know what's just fan wank wishful thinking vs. being a legitimate possibility.

Hopefully this will stay on topic for at least 2-3 responses before the obligatory "I wish they would release..." comments start popping up :) 

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Now nothing I say is 100% fact so take it as is, cause this is just my opinion. But from my understanding Takatomy doesn't really want to do TFs as a kids line without a cartoon or major promotion behind it. And as a filler sub-line of toys that was more a kids line as a collectors one, I don't think T/T felt it would sell as well as Hasbro did here. The majority of their TF products since the end of Cybertron/Galaxy Force (which again seemed to do better here iirc) has all been high end collector stuff like MPs, Binal Techs and the 'XX-Labels' odditiy items.

As for will they ever sell classics/universe, I doubt it. I don't think they sold any figures from the last Universe line so I can't see them selling this one either. Heck I don't even think they're selling most of the Movie line repaints we're getting either as I haven't seen any news on that. I believe the next line they might do, and even this is potentially up for grabs, would be the Animated line.

It is possible Hasbro might re-release some (more) of the classics figs, to help pad the shelves with something non-movie related between now and when Universe/Animated toylines start, which would be real nice for anyone who missed something. But there is all of a 0% chance that anyone would ever mass release Botcon exclusive character repaints, even if they were slightly different color schemes.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If the do re-release any of the 1st run Classics, I hope they at least re-release Starscream, as I need one to turn into Thundercracker. Other than that, I personally don't care, but, I imagine it would be nice for those who didn't get the chance to grab them the first time around :thumb .

4. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I think we would get repaints, two-packs, but not just a re-relese.

5. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Well in order to keep the brand in buyer's minds, Hasbro might make an obvious choice in re-releasing the movie characters who appeared in the classics line under a giftset package or in pairs...failing that, I think they would probably make an effort to sprinkle a few of them throughout the Universe series while promoting the newer toys.

Of course, they would all likely be recolors...either in full or partial. Plus since they would run out of "recognizable" characters quickly, they would likely throw in one of each "type" of Transformer possible to fill out the repaints. Example being Mirage and Astrotrain to represent standard Autobot and Triple Changer figures, things like that.

In the case of Takara releasing anything classics related?? Doubtful. The only option that springs to mind is perhaps an updated version of anniversary type giftsets, where they might decide to release Optimus and Megatron in sets with a few of the other toys bearing their names.

Also, I wish they would release...

Nah. I'll save it for later. :drunk 

-Pit-

6. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    IMO, I hope they do re-release Starscream. I want to make a Sunstorm. So I am keeping my fingers crossed...

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I gather with regards to why Classics was not released in Japan - "poor sales" of the last "main line" i.e. Galaxy Force aka Cyberton. Therefore TakaraTomy is focusing on the collector orientated stuff these days.

You won't "read" this "officially" because quite frankly...no company would want to post "bad news"...it would be a PR nightmare. I'm inclined to believe the rumors because there was a major dumping of Galaxy Force stuff in Asia (HK Japan and Singapore)just before the show ended. Another example of TakaraTomy unwillingness to promote "main-line: stuff can be seen in the TF movie toys - seemly US packaging. Of course there have been some mold changes (such as Bumblebee) but majority of the toys are the same as the US ones.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They need to do Classics/Movie two packs. Both Voyager Primes, both Voyager Megs and Classic/08 CC Camaro BB. They sorta did something like that using FAB Prime and Deluxe Classics Prime...but those molds suck.

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I could see Bumblebee and Starscream getting tossed back in the assortment due to character popularity and to flesh things out a bit. Other than that, I'm mostly hoping for repaints, actually. Anime Astrotrain, Drag Strip and seeker repaints. Sunstorm, purple drone..hell, release the Ramjet mold in that desert scheme. Maybe give Starscream a more G1ish scheme, come to think of it. Improve the paint apps in any case. Poor bastard is now easily the least impressive of the six.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    g2 colored ramjet would be ace.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    We're getting some two packs in the near future already - Ultra Magnus and Voyager Optimus, Grimlock and Jetfire. I'd honestly say we'll see more reissued major characters down the road as well. My guess is a Bumblebee & Mirage or Bumblebee & Hot Rod, as well as a Megatron & Starscream.

I'd imagine repaints of the others will happen at some point in Universe too to fill out waves. Heck, maybe we could get Thundercracker in his Action Master colours?

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Get Classics Megatron in a Silver Metalic.Ghost of Starscream and Clasics Ultra magnus in G1 Colours.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I think that'd be a great substitute for people that couldnt get BC TC

it'd probably be a huge shelf-warmer but I'd buy it :lol 

14. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have every mold in classics.
    But I really wish they would release bumblebee (I like his colors better tht CJ's) And mirage (My figure is a little bit broken)

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ya know, Mirage is still available on Hasbrotoyshop.com.... and if you use the current sale code, you could get him for like eight bucks shipped.

As for the topic of this thread, I admit I'm surprised that TakaraTomy hasn't released their own versions of any of the Classics molds. But I don't know enough about the Hasbro/TT relationship or Japanese sales records for previous lines to posit a guess as to why this is. I'm sure it has something to do with the point mentioned earlier, that the small number of Transformers fans in Japan are more older collectors than younger kids. Which is ironic, since Classics seems to have been a massive hit with adult collectors here.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt TakTom will release any classics. Like has been mentioned, younger aged toys aren't so hot over there now, which is why they have the Encore reissues instead.

Classics > Encore IMO, but they are getting something classic in nature.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Good point WM - I forgot to mention that angle in my initial post. While the Classics are technically a kids toy line, yeah, I nevertheless assumed Takara/Tomy could have somehow marketed it toward their adult collectors in Japan considering the character selection. That's exactly why I thought it was weird that they never touched the line, especially in light of them re-re-re-releasing some of the same old outdated G1 molds yet again. One would think that people over there would want a "G1 reborn" line as much as many of us over here evidentially did.