Heavy/Scratch: Classics Ratbat WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by solarstorm, Aug 5, 2011.

  1. solarstorm

    solarstorm Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Posts:
    1,721
    Trophy Points:
    137
    Likes:
    +17
    Classics Ratbat *finished*

    This is my first attempt at customizing anything.

    I've been disappointed with Perfect Effect's Kingbat, since it barely looks like a bat and has zero articulation. Inspired by Shinobittron's Kamen-Rider Ratbat, I cut and combined the two figures to update the character. The trident can still be formed, only the jet mode is lost.

    I cut the Kamen rider figure into several pieces and permanently fixed them to the also-modified Kingbat.


    This is a work in progress. The kitbashing part is done, but I need to paint it. Having never painted a TF before, I might try to paint something else before tackling this one.

    **Now with complete photos**

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Nemesis251

    Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2010
    Posts:
    5,230
    Trophy Points:
    192
    Likes:
    +6
    That looks great!
     
  3. G60Force

    G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2010
    Posts:
    7,968
    Trophy Points:
    197
    Likes:
    +7
    Ebay:
    :thumb 
     
  4. Dicron

    Dicron Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2011
    Posts:
    104
    Trophy Points:
    61
    Likes:
    +0
    It looks awesome! Love the alt modes, all of em look pretty cool, though wings out looks the most sinister to me.
     
  5. DJW107PRIME

    DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Posts:
    7,524
    Trophy Points:
    222
    Likes:
    +22
    Ebay:
    :p 
     
  6. fawnheart2000

    fawnheart2000 Autobot

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Posts:
    346
    Trophy Points:
    82
    Likes:
    +6
  7. solarstorm

    solarstorm Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Posts:
    1,721
    Trophy Points:
    137
    Likes:
    +17
    My big thing was that I didn't want to have to put any parts to the side, so I wanted to integrate the wings into the alt mode.

    I'm guessing your Ratbat's wings fit where the sword goes in trident mode, right? I tried something along those lines when I was putting mine together before attaching it to the back.
     
  8. fawnheart2000

    fawnheart2000 Autobot

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Posts:
    346
    Trophy Points:
    82
    Likes:
    +6
    Actually I drilled small holes in the sides next to the cannons that the wings plug into. And yeah keeping all the parts together is great, but since the original already removes the sword (making it disappear) I thought it'd be ok for the wings to sit off to the side. Played around with them becoming a shield of some type, but it didn't look right. Nor did I think, at the time, having the wings attached in trident mode look very good. But you've done a great job incorporating them into your trident, I might have to revisit those ideas again.
     
  9. BScorpinok75

    BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Posts:
    20,172
    Trophy Points:
    312
    Location:
    In the darkness...
    Likes:
    +92
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice!
     
  10. siniquezu

    siniquezu Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    Posts:
    1,160
    Trophy Points:
    126
    Likes:
    +0
    so much better
     
  11. solarstorm

    solarstorm Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Posts:
    1,721
    Trophy Points:
    137
    Likes:
    +17
    Part of it was also that I'm still getting the hang of kitbashing, so having everything connected was as much a necessity as it was preference. I used a saw, knife, file, and adhesive. I haven't tried drilling holes or making joints, yet. I had the wings removable originally, with them sitting where the trident goes, held on by friction. Preferring something more stable, I used adhesive and bonded them to the back. I was lucky the wings worked out, because they were going to be attached, even if they looked ridiculous :lol 

    I'm getting the parts together to try a more ambitious bash next - a combining Squalktalk/Beastbox using a PCC minicon and Cybertron Laserbeak. That one will probably wind up with extra parts.
     
  12. KNOOM842

    KNOOM842 Ultra Con

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    Posts:
    622
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Likes:
    +0
    Good job I like how you think cause i was doing some what the same
     
  13. solarstorm

    solarstorm Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Posts:
    1,721
    Trophy Points:
    137
    Likes:
    +17
    Updated with painted/finished pics.
     

Share This Page