Classics quality issues

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by supernaut7430, Nov 21, 2006.

1. supernaut7430

supernaut7430 Aerospace Commander

I've had a number of issues with some of my classics TF's and was wondering if it is a widespread problem.

#1. Rodimus alt mode, parts near bottom of doors don't stay locked in place
    #2. Astrotrains forearms, the train nose halves just flop around and wont stay in place.
    #3. Starscreams upper arms/shoulders are loosely fitted together and the screws are stripped, making it impossible to tighten.
    #4. Ultimate battle Megatrons feet were on backwards.
    #5. Grimlocks upper arms/ shoulders are switched (left is on right and vise versa) from packaging photos.

all these problems make it feel as though this line was rushed and quality control at Hasbro is nonexistant, out of 9 classics that I own 5 were defective somehow. although I was able to fix the misassembles of Megs and Grim, it kind of fustrating. Anyone else out there having similar problems?

2. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Starscream's blue shoulder paint is VERY sloppy, so much that it's smeared all over the grey parts. I've seen this in 2 different SS Classics that I opened from two different stores. The first Starscream that I opened his eyes were so poorly painted that he appeared to have a lazy eye! And almost every Astrotrain that I've seen has that black dirt mark/scuff mark on the top of the vehicle mode.

3. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

We can't be the only ones having these issues!

4. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

both my SS and OP each have what appear to be small burn marks in the plastic in one place on each toy - every arm joint on my astrotrain came apart the first time i trasnsformed him (fixed with clear nail polish) and his head seems to sit funny - SS's head was not screwed into the nosecone portion of the jet properly, causing a gap in the front part of the nosecone when transformed, and his head to tilt to the right when you looked at him (fixed too) - on my gun megatron, the back part of his feet were loose to the point of being floppy, and he couldn't stand (fixed by tightening the screws) - bumblebee's rubsign was completely askew to the point of almost not being attached to the toy at all (got this online as is, just moved the sticker) - hot rod and mirage seem to be fine so far, so 5 out of 7 with problems isn't such a good sign for the rest of this line

it's unfortunate that there are this many problems in this line - i know it's a filler line, but i tend to think that a little more QC effort could be applied to it all the same

5. Doubledealer

Doubledealer Well-Known Member

My Grimlock's upper thigh's are switched. Actually ... looking at it now .. it seems I have two of the same parts, two left thighs. And one is turned around backwards. Due to the shape of the pieces when turned around as such, it makes it impossible for the alt mode to lock in place at the back or for the bot mode to stand straight.

And don't even get me started on the Ops Vs Megs 2 pack. Wow. Prime feels like a KO.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Before they were opened, i sold my wave 1 Classics Deluxes on to someone else who wanted them more than i did.

Out of the four of them:

1) BB's right door popped off.
    2) Starscream's Horizontal Tail fins are VERY tight. So tight that we were both affraid to move them.
    3) Rodimus had a bent tab on the left arm straight out of the package.
    4) The nosecone half on Astrotrain's right arm was on the loose side.

So out of the 4 of them, 4 had a problem

My Megatron is fine, but i still don't like those odds........

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    My SS came with 2 left null rays and Astrotrain's front end in train mode has super dark purple (almost black) where it should be purple.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My Astrotrain and Rodimus are pretty floppy, but I think thats a widespread thing. Other than that my Classics are perfect.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I guess I lucked out so far. Only thing irritating me is Astrotrains jetnose halves keep sliding over his hands. Holding his rifle fixes one hand, but still wish they clicked into place somehow.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Does anybody else have stress marks on the plastic on Hot Rod's "shoulder" joints?

Mine was slightly stressed right out of the package. Thankfully, it's not too bad.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

This one isn't so much quality control as bad design. They could have probably fixed that with one tab somewhere to lock the arm sections over, but seeing as how they didn't, I'm putting some serious thought into opposing magnets to hold the nose halves apart when in bot mode. Not real strong magnets, so the clips still hold in other modes, but those parts are so light that it wouldn't take much force to keep them away from the arms.

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

All Ultimate Battle Megatrons are factory-assembled wrong. Therefore it's not a QC issue, but an assembly guide error.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Depending on how QC works, it could be a QC issue. I know at my company that if a cabinet is assembled wrong because the instructions were wrong, QC is STILL supposed to be the ones to catch it, get it fixed, AND update the assembly guides. Granted, I don't know how strenuously QC training is done in a toy factory.

14. Pooky

Pooky Well-Known Member

I haven't had much problems with any of my Classics, other than grimlock's paint apps. His black paint is so messy that it seems rushed. I had to go through like 20 Grimlocks and they all had the same issue.

15. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Only problems I've seen are sloppy paint jobs with Starscream's being the worst. Rodimus' paint is flawless however.

16. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Just my Hot Rod's arm not folding up completley in alt mode. Popped the pin out shave the extra plastic off and sanded it down a bit and its perfect now.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, ive got that too.

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

All of my classics have been good. well. my starscream did have a little paint wear on the left knee. it looks like it was smudged.. wave 2 has been perfect.

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    All my Classics are in great shape since I diligently checked all of them before making my decision on which to purchase from the pegs.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this is good advice actually. had to do this with bumble and mirage which paint apps were damn erratic.