Heavy/Scratch: Classics Prowl reshell

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JaZzMan26, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JaZzMan26

JaZzMan26 Well-Known Member

Here is my Prowl reshell commission piece. Its been a long time in the making.
    I reshelled Classics Prowl with a 71' Nissan Fairlady 240Z body (1/32 scale).
    He was painted with Kustom Kolors, Model Masters Enamels and Citadel paints and coated with Testor Dullcote.
    All decals were made by Boggs6ft7 (these were awesome in every way!)
    I am still working on Prowls gun, I am hoping to make it resemble more of its generation 1 self and is still a WIP. So I may update with a photo or 2 later with his weapon.
    This commission so far has been the most challenging, and I have learned a lot with the build and will apply it to others like it. Hinges in the front end and rear end were made by me, and the door hinges were recycled from the classics Prowl which worked out beautifully.
    I would like to thank all of you for your encouraging words along the way, it has been a tough project. And many many thanks to the commissoner in believing in me to do this and providing me with the chance to build something of this caliber.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    man... how do you do these things, I guess practice makes perfect... gotta try at reshelling myself and I'm learning from your pics thnx a lot!!! :D 

3. JaZzMan26

Thanks man, I'm fairly new at the reshelling thing as well. My words of wisdom is this. Study first find a model kit that matches up size wise. Study everything about the transformer (how it transforms, and where points of contact are to join the model and the transformer). Having a good eye and taking your time removing a little bit off the transformer at a time till it fits is key...patience patience patience!!!
    I honestly feel my experiance in working for an auto body shop and prior carving and sculpting work has paid off so far.
    The hardest part I believe is cutting the model and attaching it so these fun steps are next!

4. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

man first the awesome Bumblebee one and now this!:drool:  i cannot wait to see how this one turns out. excellent work man :thumb 

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

The first three pics make it look like someone's 'jacked his wheels! :lol 
    This looks like it's gonna be a beauty too. Looking forward to seeing him transformable! :D 

6. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

that's great! What scale do people usually look for when they are dealing with reshelling a deluxe size Transformer. I've been looking into this for Sideswipe since his front hood portion is too big for me personally in bot mode.
    It amazes me when people can pull this off and make it work, looking forward to seeing this since Prowl was always one of my favorites.

7. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1:32 scale, I believe.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I think the actual scale is kinda nebulous, though. A Deluxe class sports car is gonna be a different scale to a Deluxe class pickup, for instance.

I seem to recall a few years ago, someone reshelling Alts said the key thing to look out for was the wheelbase. If the distance between the wheels matches up, you can probably make it fit.

9. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep this is true, alts are all 1:24 scale but obviously a alt prime is longer than a smaller car.

and this reshell looks brilliant so far as does the bee one! cant wait to see it finished!

10. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Can't wait to see this!

11. JaZzMan26

Thanks guys! I can't wait either to finish Bumblebee and Prowl. I'm just gonna hate seeing them go when they are finished. But thats ok I have plans to do a RTS Jazz, and Drift and possibly RTS Tracks later this year for myself.
    Both of these are 1/32 scale for the deluxes. But wheelbase is the key when sizing them up sometimes...I'm looking at Drift right now and his wheelbase is longer than the other deluxe class figures. But with him either I will find a body that works and switch the heads or do some epoxy/styrene work and make it fit as is...

12. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You know maybe a Skyline R33 or 34 will fit Drift instead of the S15.

Can't wait to get my grubby hands on Prowl. :p 

13. JaZzMan26

It may, I am hoping that 1/32 arii Mazda Rx-7 body will work though I should have that shortly in hand to see...also I found a nice Corvette Z06 body to fit Tracks : )...I could never find the S15 body.
    But you my friend have started something, and I like doing these reshells a lot!

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool I really dig the old Z's so I'm going to keep an eye on this

15. GrandMaXimus

Ebay:
    I thought you were going for a 67 Vette for Tracks? Also, my local KMart actually has 1/32 kits, but they are mostly new models and some vintage classics. They are in the toy section.

16. JaZzMan26

I thought I was and may still do one...I just keep adding to my list LOL.
    If you come across another Volkswagen Beetle body like the one on the current BB reshell let me know. I'd love to get my hands on another for myself ; )

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    might be a lot less stress to use the 206 WRC car given the body shapes unless you want a truly G1 line up

18. JaZzMan26

Very true, for my personal reshells I am not to worried about being 100% G1, but if a customer wanted G1 I'd go that route no doubt. And with these 1/32 scale kits sometime you have to work with what availible...they are a pain to find sometimes.

19. GrandMaXimus

Ebay:
    I think ultimately that's what were going for is a true G1 line up but some of those cars don't even exist in kit form, let alone in 1/32 scale. You never know, possibilities are endless when you start customizing :crazy: :thumbs2: 

20. JaZzMan26

Well put man!!!:thumbs2: