Heavy/Scratch: Classics Powermaster Optimus Prime w/Apex Armor FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by RodimusDawg, Mar 2, 2009.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Update:9-17-09

FINALLY FINISHED!!! That's right I actually compeleted it. 8 and 1/2 months of crying,anger, and damn near throwing it out the window. As I stated before I would retake pictures of the regular Powermaster and I did.

I am very happy with the way this turned out. I never had the actually G1 toy so all I had to go off was pics and reminiscent stories from a friend. I don't think Prime will be coming out of this armor for quiet awhile now. Not that it is a pain to get out just looks sweet.

This is the picture I used for a basis and the Don Fig drawing in the MTMTE trade Vol.2. I'm sure most of if not everyone knows this toy.

[​IMG]

Alt Trailer Mode
    ============

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was going for a true G1 recapturing for the trailer where is was mostly gray and still had the reds in it. My gripe about it is that I wish I had a bigger autobot symbol it just doesn't look big enough to me. The weapon storage worked out perfect and even match up with the original. When in this mode the chest piece goes in where the shin/knee armor flips up and covers.

[​IMG]

Armor Mode
    =========
    [​IMG]
    There it is not much can be said, that can't already be seen by looking at it. The head does have the cylinder things on the side of it. And it has two sets of antennae.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matrix Chamber
    ============
    [​IMG]

This is a close up of the chest removed. And I repainted the regular Shadow Commander armor's chest because IMO it looks like the '86 movie matrix chamber. I wanted to do more but not much can done to it besides what I did.

Weapons
    =======
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each of the guns both have another smaller barrel/gun on the side. I posted each gun on one side to give you a view of both sides.

APEX Armor
    =========

Now for the Apex Armor upgrades/Additions. I'm basically going for an updated Classics version of the the mode in the upper right hand corner of this pic below. I would like to do the big added length to the legs version but I don't think that is all possible.

[​IMG]

Apex Trailer
    =========

The Apex Armor Trailer just literally hooks onto the sides of the bumper. By Luck this happen. No modding or anything and it rolls and the wheels all touch the ground. I was having a bit of an issue with that until I hooked it up to Classics Optimus. :dunce 
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apex Front
    =========

The new Apex chest piece came from RID Ultra Magnus. My original intention was to use his entire front cab section and a new chest with a flip armor covering. But the front cab section was wayyyy to broad and PowerMaster's arms could move very much. That is really the only addition I made to the front of PM.

[​IMG]

I gave him a shoulder cannon made from the Knock Robot Masters Optimus's Missile Launcher with a missile from a Energon Insecticon. On the other side it a communication array which I have been favoring for some odd reason lately. The long black Powermaster Guns peg into holes drilled out and are nice and snug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apex Back
    ========
    The jet pack was made from the wings of Cybertron Optimus and the back pack from 1/60 Perfect grade RX-78 Gundam. . And everything has it place so no parts forming thank god.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BFG
    ===
    [​IMG]

Didn't like the way this pics turned out because of the stance and lack of seeing the head. But lot of you like the BFG. If you want more pics of it I will post it.
    As always comment and enjoy.:thumb 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. Sunswipe

Sunswipe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    lookin good so far i like what you've done with the head.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loving the way everything looks together so far. Once painted this will be mint. Great job bro!

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Looking good. Remember Prime's PM Head (Large one) had two types of head antenna's large and small + those round ear thingies :) 
    [​IMG]

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I was going to say the antennae look fine, it's the egg-head he has going that bugs me. I think if you incorporate those circles of the original, that'll help that out some as it'll make the head wider, thus not look so tall.

6. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

Looking good so far, any major issues cutting down the shoulder pads?

Are you keeping the chest red or making it chrome like god bomber?

7. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    are you going to permanently affix the chest to his front?(reason i ask is because on the on ei recently posted, it was a pain in the skidplate to keep shaving more and more to ensure it didnt hit primes twin gun/smokestacks when you hook the trailer up to him)i like the thruster vents as headlights,it fits in pretty nice!looks good so far man!!!!!

8. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    Thanks guys.I keep looking at it thinking what more? But I don't want to overkill it though either.

Didn't know about the two set of antenna, that is definitely getting implemented now. And I have an idea for the circles on the head. And your right RedLine I've been looking at the middle crest thinking its too long and makes his head look pinched and misshaped. If I had the skills in apoxie sculpt or putty I would be doing a lot of remolding.

Even on the low setting the dremel just cut through the plastic really smooth. It durable to handle but soft enough to cut a straight line easy. It even sands well. I'm using a 2-sided nail file from Wal-mart and it fine so far. Hit the area I'm sanding down with the rough side first and the switch to the smoother side to finish.

No it will have two different chest for the difference between PowerMaster and PowerMaster with Apex armor.

He is going to have interchangeable armor pieces so that one won't be permanently affixed. And I going to think out the possibliy of actually cutting out a space for the headlights to sit flush in the chest.

9. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Great start RD.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Looking great. Love the work on the head. Only thing I'm not really feeling is the Freedom Gun. I don't know. Maybe a little more work on it and it'll look better.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looks great man. I would add some bulk to the Freedom weapons as well. The head is a great update, I'm digging the look.

12. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely don't overwork it. Sometimes cleaner more simple approach yields the best results. Beef up that gun a both though. :D 

13. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    I have an idea in mind, I'm heading to Toys' R Us tomorrow with my son and doing some "Man Shopping". I am going to be taking a gander a some military weapons for the 12 inch sized joes and they still have some Sigma Six stuff there too. Instead of price tags there should be :rip  because anything I walk out of there with is going to the operating table as soon as I get home.

14. RodimusDawg

News Credits:
    Updated check the first post peoples!!!

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    That looks really good so far. I like the shin and chest and helmet and shoulder changes. I look forward to seeing your waist plate changes, and his weaponry add up.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I can't believe people are cutting up and painting a figure as rare as this mold.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool! I guess it would be cheaper to get a City or Shadow commander set and customize that into a Power commander. Looks great so far.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Try using the Alt prime head, it was designed more afte ginrai.

19. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

it's in good hands as far as i can tell. :D 

20. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

can't wait to see this done keep it up