Minor/Repaint: Classics/PCC Vortex WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by D-Unit, Apr 20, 2011.

1. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should get sick and stay home from work more often, it seems to give me time work on things. Anyway, I recently picked up an awesome set of custom Combaticon heads from Sounwave3K, and was about to start on Classics Vortex, but then I got to thinking, I really hate that Energon/Classics Chopper mode. It's a really shitty figure and it doesn't look like Vortex, even with the custom head. However, when I was picking up my prescription this morning, I notice the supermarket had PCC figures on clearance for $6.00. The more I looked at Searchlight, the more I was seeing Vortex. So anyway, this is what I came up with. This looks like not a lot of modding, but I had to cut the whole post that held the old heads on off, drill a hole in the nexk and stick a screw up, then screw the head on. He's not done yet, as I have to do some touch-ups on the chopper, but he's coming close. Usually all my stuff goes for the G1-cartoon colors, but I liked the old toy colors better, so here he is. Let me know what you think. Alt. Mode pics coming soon.

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :thumbs2: 

3. Roxxstar

Roxxstar Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice, can't wait to see the Alt mode :) 

4. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

how you gonna attach him to fansproject bruticus?

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There lies the problem. For now, the real Vortex is still connected as the arm of Bruticus. I might just leave it like that and leave this one as a standalone figure unless I can figure something out. Anyone got any ideas? I know we've seen it's possible to Switch Brawl with PCC Heavytread, so hopefully there is a solution to this. I'm still not past the painting phase...

6. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

nice choice of figure. looking forward to the alt mode

7. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

if you want to make a better vortex that can still serve as left arm limb figure for fansproject bruticus i think this might be the way to go

Browsing deviantART

looks like the guy completely salvaged the entire armored back+the main rotary assembly and blades and energon star port from the back of one helicoptor limb parts figure

and then sanded the back down flat and smooth on the main helicoptor limb figure

while using a fine tooth cutting blade most likely a jewlers blade or some such cutting blade for very fine work like this to mod the backpack and main rotary parts salveged from the parts figure into 3 seperate sections of back armor

with the backpack amor part strip on either side of the main rotary assembly being set up on the back of the main helicoptor limb figure to serve as the armored chest for the front of the upper body for the helicoptor figures new robot mode

with the main rotary and starport assembly being modded in such a way that it either uses a screw or a steel pin to attach it into place on top of the cockpit on the figures back for robot mode

but with the modded figure having both arms swapped around at the shoulder joints and the front of the figures robot mode body instead serving as its back in robot mode with the figure transforming in a differant way so that the cockpit instead folds down over the figures back and the main rotary assembly blades and the energon starport rotate over and on top of the cockpit to rest on the figures back in robot mode

it looks like he also went and salvaged a set of small tri barrol head mounted laser cannons from a extra tank limb figure to set up on each side of the heilcoptor cockpit nose cone with a additional set of rod nobs salvaged from the back of a tank limb figures feet to serve as plug nobs for the missile pods to hole plug into and rotate on for the robot mode

it a rather ingeniuse set of mods the guy came up with to make vortex look a little bit more like his g1 cartoon character model in a retro g1 sort of way

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Yeah, that one is really nice. Before I put in that kind of work however (I'm still finishing my Stunticons), I'm going to see if I can work something out with this one. Thanks for the link though, I am definitely saving those pics.

9. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Looks good so far man! I looked on the thumbnail and thought... that looks like one of my heads but it's not on the usual body! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks again man. That head is perfect as are the rest you hooked me up with. Aside from having the two rotors, this alt mode looked closer to the original I thought.

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

now that is racking sweet

12. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

The PCC Searchlight mold does look good as a stand in for Vortex in robot mode - shame that, unless you did some extensive modding, there really isn't any way to have him sub in as a limb mode for Bruticus as well. You've done a great job making him into Vortex though :) 

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I'm optimistic that there may still be a way, but as you said, for now he's good as a stand-alone Vortex figure. Guess we'll see.

14. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

I hope you can find a way - I'm on the lookout for a new Vortex mold as well for my Bruticus ;)