Minor/Repaint: Classics Padlock: Autobot Generic

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot Burnout, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

(NOTE: I'm having trouble with the attachments, namely the pictures needing to be resized to load. I'll get around to uploading them all later)

So, I'm at a Walgreens for some reason and I discover a cheapo Transformer Knock-off brand called "Twist N' Change" or something like that. They were EXTREMELY cheap, so I picked one up for the sole purpose of kitbash fodder and making it into something worthwhile enough to consider "Background character" material. This is the end result: Autobot Padlock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(That is the BEST I could get those damn arms into the hood)

The goal of the alt. mode paint job was to try and make it interesting yet common enough to blend in easier into everyday human life than say, nearly every other Autobot alt. mode. I ended up going for an orange with black lines scheme, based off of similar Dodge Challengers I've seen going around where I live. Of course, Padlock is bigger than those Challengers, as this comparison with DT Ratchet shows:
    [​IMG]
    Transformation is very simplistic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty much the original Concept Camaro Bumblebee all over again, only larger with a new hood and simplified mechanics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Articulation sucks, even with the few minor trimmings I made, but I achieved the goal of making this guy a unique generic figure, so that doesn't matter to me. Here is a size comparison between a Voyager (DT Ratchet) and a Deluxe (the original Autobot Burnout)
    [​IMG]
    Weapondry is comically huge, as there's some jet-looking thing I assume is supposed to be some kind of blaster and a light-up LED hilt that has two weapon heads; a spear and Grimlock-style flames:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, I named this generic Padlock because he's a generic guard who is as effective as an actual padlock. He can keep the typical troublemaker out:
    [​IMG]
    But bring in somebody like, say, Sixshot...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And he's fufiled his role as expendible cannon fodder. Until he needs to be used as another random victim again. I also got the name from the original Energon Padlock, who Shockwave kills and gets Wing Saber all Revenge-seeking in the cartoon.

Here is Padlock with all the other customs of mine that I personally own:
    [​IMG]
    And to show how well he blends in with the rest of my Classics, here is a mock battle scene:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

excellent! if i did not know better, i would not have been able to pick him out of the crowd. i gotta ask , will he appear in one of the comics?

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  this thread is awesome; Padlock is great :) 

4. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Digging the flame sword!

5. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Very interesting. Pretty damn cool custom. Not quite as cool as Sixshot, though.

6. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I have thought recently that Padlock deserves a figure. And you have just set that in motion. :D 

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Sort of. As an unnamed filler figure in "Project: E.V.A.", he's sort of like a redshirt in that when he shows up, he's probably going to die. However, as a generic, he's going to portray any given unnamed generic Autobot stationed anywhere who is there just to add to the sense that a "base" is stationed by more than just one or two named characters, and to fill out battle scenes to die so I don't have the Stormtrooper effect going on in favor of the Autobots. I want more KO's like Padlock, actually, so I can have a whole pool of similar generics to draw from in those circumstances.

I do admit, he's got a certain charm to him now that he sucks less.

Yeah, the flamesword is actually pretty cool, but it just seems to big in Padlock's hands in my opinion. I'd personally give it to a Grimlock if I owned one.

Hey, if Sunstorm can only show up for one episode and get a toy, why can't the guy from Energon have the same break (although the orange is kind of an homage to the random orange jet that Shockwave kills after Padlock)

And that's the point. Padlock isn't meant to be one of the big-name "cool" Transformers such as Sixshot; Drift, or even Hot Shot. He's just another Autobot trooper among dozens of other unremarkable Autobots stationed anywhere, really.