Heavy/Scratch: Classics Optimus Prime without the arm kibble

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Knormal, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Knormal

Knormal Well-Known Member

Classic Prime's arm kibble always drove me crazy. Any other character I wouldn't have minded it, but it just didn't seem very Prime-like to me. I waited years for someone more skilled in kitbashing to than me to find a way to do this, but I finally just broke down and did it myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically I've just shifted the kibble to a big backpack, but it's less noticeable there. The airfoil also merges with it fairly well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No partsforming necessary. The sides of the cab are only held on by friction, as I didn't want to risk attaching anything to the brittle chrome, but they stay on unless you actively remove them. Most of the modding is accomplished from a piece of Cybertron Crosswise, which fits almost perfectly in the open space left behind Prime's grill. I had to cut the piece of Crosswise and parts of Prime's body to get it to work all the way, but I was astonished how well everything fit. That little peg on the Crosswise piece holds the front of the cab together in both modes, so it's fairly tight. The loosest piece is where it goes into Prime's back, but even that could be tight if I had cut it better. I didn't worry too much about making the cleanest cuts, partially because the modded parts are only visible during transformation, but mostly just because I'm lazy and impatient.

[​IMG]

Vehicle mode's mostly unaffected. The only changes are that there's a slightly larger-than-normal gap where the front of the cab lines up with the back, and the folding Crosswise piece sticks down a little too far and slightly touches the ground. Both of these could be fixed with some more sanding, but certain areas were getting kind of thin and I didn't want to risk something breaking.

Attached Files:

2. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    That's pretty sweet. Can we get some more back shots to see how big the kibble is? Also, what part did you use to attach the front piece to his back? It looks familiar but i can't place it...

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Thats a great mod. I admit that his arm kibble always bugged me too. I'm gonna def try this with my Prime. Thanks a bunch, bro!

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cool mod! When I first saw this mold before I started collecting TF's again, it bothered me too. Not Prime-like at all. But when I got the figure, what really bothered me was the Classics paint job with the blues and yellows. The Henkei paint was better. The Henkei plus your mod, BEST! I don't have the guts to do it with mine though.

If you could post some side pics too, that would be great.

5. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

nice. looks 10 times better with your mod.

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I have to say its a heck of an improvement, but I like Prime the way he is. Thats just me, but thanks for showing us what you did for the arm kibble, very ingenius.

7. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Very innovative use of the Crosswise chest-connector piece. I don't love the idea of having his whole cab on his back, but I do like that you managed to get it to sort of tuck in under the windvane. Come to think of it, that looks better than some of the backpack kibble other figures are designed with (I'm lookin' at you Universe Ironhide). Bonus points for keeping his altmode largely unscathed. :thumbs2: 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Actually, I've seen quite a few people simply glue the front parts to the grill, and it works well. I want to know what that part is from that you're using, it looks familiar yet I can't place it. . . .

9. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Nice mod man! Bigtime improvement as well. Thanks for sharing!

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I really dig this, man. I've always hated the arm kibble on Optimus Prime and this mod is pretty damn cool. I've seen the glue mods that REDLINE is referring to and they're all great also, but this really took some thought. I like the way it fits with the airfoil/gun. I will say that I'm still not too keen on the excess back kibble, but it's LOADS better than the "shields" hanging from his arms.

I might actually try this since I have two Primes, but if not, I may just go the route of Megatron and cut out around the pins a bit so they can snap on and off (in these cases, I'm cool with that little bit of "partsforming", especially if it helps them look more "G1" since I'm a huge fan of it).

11. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Wow, nice!
    At first i thought "Probably another partsformer", so i was surprised you found a solution that didn't turn him into a partsformer.

12. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow man a killer mod. i might try that my self.

13. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Very sweet mod, and exceptionally inventive.

14. Knormal

Here's some side views. For the record the shoulders do hit the backpack a little when the arms are raised, but not in a way that impedes movement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternatively if you leave a screw loose you can turn the entire backpack around, which makes it line up a little better, but also gets in the way of arm movement a lot more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only additional part is the Crosswise piece, cut down a bit.

15. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

that is really sweet.

16. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

This is the kind of mod that makes you wonder "Why didn;t they do that in the first place?"

17. FeiZai

FeiZai An Internet White Knight

its awesome - are there any stability issues when posing?

you gotta admit that prime's got one big ass now. XD

18. Knormal

He is a bit more backheavy, but not in a way that majorly affects stability. He still poses fine.

19. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I've had Prime in line for a custom like this but never got to it.

I HATE that arm kibble, it actually does ruin the figure for me, I know it sounds like nitpicking, but man...it doesn't even sit flush with the arm...it just hangs there.

I really like the shots with the backpack turned around...how much does it impede posing?

Great work, and you JUST inspired me to move this custom up in the line.

20. Knormal

With the backpack turned up the tops of the shoulders bump it any time they move forward. The backpack doesn't prevent the arms from moving forward, it's just in the way a bit, and the arms kind of push the backpack out of the way. The biggest drawback to me is with the backpack facing up there's nowhere for the airfoil to go, unless Prime holds it as a gun.