Minor/Repaint: Classics Optimus Prime - WIP (Updated: 2-9-11)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Updates:

*NEW* Classics Optimus Prime - WIP (Updated: 2-9-11)

Classics Optimus Prime - WIP (Updated: 1-10-11)

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/277408-classics-optimus-prime-wip-updated-11-15-09-a-2.html#post4310496

I've been wanting to do this one for quite a while, being a huge Optimus Prime fan. SO I finally dove in and got to work. I've been working slowly on this since the summer of 2008. Hope you guys enjoy this! It's still a WIP, but not a whole lot left before painting. I also recently added a tutorial here explaining how to create a G1 updated Prime rifle for this Classics Prime figure. You'll see this in some of the shots below. Here's a link for those interested in it: Classics Optimus Prime Rifle - Tutorial - by hXcpunk23

Once you guys see these pics, I'd like to know what you think about leaving the old gun/smokestacks on Prime like they are. Should I do that or what I've been thinking and create my own G1-styled smokestacks that can simply remove and snap into alt mode, much like the gunstacks does now? I'm leaning toward doing my own G1-inspired stacks--not much of a mod, but I think that coupled with the leg mods I did here, this will make this look considerably more "G1". And we all know that's where it's at (well, at least that's where my customs are at). lol

Here's a list of the mods I did to this:

• head mods - I cut off the rounded pieces that were sitting to the left and right of his facemask. Never cared for the Classics look and wanted a more G1 'toon inspired look (blocky). So once those were cut off flat, I took two small strips of styrene, cut them, and glued them in place. I painted the parts and head to get a feel for how it looked (and it looks pretty darn different when compared to the Classics head). I repainted the yellow vents on top of the head silver. Lastly, I cut the antennas on the sides of the head to mimmick a more G1 look (they are now cut on the backside and look as if they are much thinner and "stand up" instead of that folded back look that the Classics Prime head had. There aren't many shots of the head to show this yet, but there will be.

• crotch - bet you never thought someone would have a bulletin point specifically for a bot crotch, now did ya? lol--well, there's a first time for everything, my friends! I recently got some old Gundam parts from Jaf and found a nice crotchular piece to hack up and use as Prime's new blue crotch (for lack of better terms). This was basically just cut to size and glue it on. I didn't care much for the flat look and since I've been using a few references for this, I wanted to do the crotch piece that so many artists have used that was shown in the toon. (I used the following for reference regarding Optimus Prime: Venksta's 3-D Classics Prime, Makoto Ono's Optimus Prime & Rodimus Prime artwork, Jun-Ichi Nakamura's Autobots artwork from the cover of TF: Genesis from 2003, and the various Optimus Prime artworks found in Visual Works).

• chest - I used some small square/rod styrene, cut it to the lengths I needed, and glued it on the left, right, and center of the windshield to also look more "G1". I painted the underlying top and bottom of the windshield silver, as well as the insides of the styrene pieces (to go with some of the artwork we've seen--check my signature for one of the reference images).

• knee & shin area - I have always hated the fold up knee guard thing on Classics Prime. I always wished they did something more like the G1 Prime toy or show (or even the artwork we see). So my first and probably last major mod on this was to cut the entire knee joint out, hinged piece and all. I took the lower legs apart and carefully cut the knees off with my Dremel so that they were now almost flush with the vents on the shins. I put them back together and slowly started building up the area with some thin sheet styrene. I covered the vent area and all with the first small sheet and glued it down around the edges. Once the glue dried, I took my hobby knife and very carefully (and slowly) cut along the area where the vents were. After exposing the vents again, I used a second thin sheet to cover over the first, but I cut a square section out of the top of it (to make it more like the artwork I'd been using as reference). Once they were both done, I glued them in and let them dry. I then took a thicker sheet of styrene and cut two large "H" sections to be used to bulk up the front of the shin area. I cut two small pieces of styrene to glue horizontally between the square I cut earlier and the vents on the legs. This would be used to support the "H" sections I was preparing. On the back of the "H" sections, I used my Dremel to cut a groove across the middle of it. This allowed it to bend (as you'll see in the pictures). I then glued the "H" sections on and let those dry. Next, I cut some sections from the thin styrene sheets to cover the sides and any gaps inside and outside the new leg pieces, then glued them into place. Once the piece was completely covered and the glue dried, I went back and cut two small triangles from the thin sheet styrene and glued them into the knee area (again, following some artwork--but I enlarged them a bit so they were more prominent. I may add some more small details to the new leg sections I made. I just wanted something that stood out more like the G1 look (and the artwork).

Attached Files:

2. GerardusMaximus

GerardusMaximus Deceptocreep

Oh wow! I cant wait till its done, please more and better pictures! Thanks!

3. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Impressive. I can see that a lot of love's going into him.

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking awesome dude! I like the changes your making. Can't wait to see it finished. :D 

5. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

dang, that's looking awesome bro. i'd like to see what you come up with, for some new smokestacks, but either way, he's going to look great

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hey man, it looks great. You do want you think is awesome and go for it. Me, well I like how Classics Prime looks and I'm happy with that, but its cool to see other customizers use their skills to make this custom more like Prime we know and love.

7. blue death

blue death Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very nice! i get a distinctly IDW feel out of him now. i really like it

8. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Nice! Well thought out! Personally, I'm quite happy with my Henkei Prime but for someone who noticed all the little details and detested it, way to identify them and fix it!! I look forward to its full completion!

9. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You made Classic Prime a Real Classic! Awesome.

10. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS I identify as an amalgamated Firetruck/Semi Veteran

News Credits:
    tasty :) 

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Nice... I like everything you're doing here, though the head and chest especially stand out for me. The styrene constructions on the legs are really cool... though maybe unnecessary. I'm amazed how much better Prime's legs look even just without the shin-guards.

Great stuff! :D 

zmog

12. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the head is very RM primesque....

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool. Can't wait to see him finished.

Prime now has blue balls?

14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

That looks great. I love what you've done so far. Can't wait to see him finished with some alt mode pics.

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I love the Windscreen. That is gorgeous. Nice work.

Now get it done already! :D 

16. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks slick so far! Bring on more!

17. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Most impressive. :thumbs2: 

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats some really nice work there B....I'm loving everything you've done so far. :thumb 

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the compliments, guys! I've been a bit busy with house maintenance issues (most importantly, ripping out the old stove and putting in a new one, only to find it was missing the needed screws and all to connect the new 4 prong cable we had to get for it--a simple project turned into an all day work/road trip trying to find the right parts and sizes---FINALLY got it installed and taken care of, so back to business here.......)

I decided to go with the G1 smokestacks (built from tube styrene) since they look much better and aren't as wide or odd looking. Keep in mind, this is still a WIP, so no real shots in alt mode of the new modes or smokestacks--those will come soon. I decided to make these removable (just like the original Classics Prime gun/stacks, so they peg into the shoulder similar to how I did the Ultra Magnus missiles on my old Ultra Magnus custom (the first one I ever did). I'm still building on these and what you see is a rough draft of the finished product. I want to build them onto a small box-like peg that will snap into the shoulder and still allow for arm movement. In alt mode, the smokestacks will be on that box-like peg (the peg will be painted red) and it will all blend more smoothly. I'm not going for perfection here, just something that makes this sucker more G1 and like the iconic character we know and love.

I also added two thin sheets of styrene to the front and rear parts of the shoulders to make the shoulders more square and box-like (like old school G1 Prime)--these will also be painted red, maybe with some more detail added to them in the way of styrene strips or carved panel lines or something.

Attached Files:

20. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice, the smoke stacks look really good