Minor/Repaint: Classics Optimus Prime touched-up

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Nov 1, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I've been just here and there picking him up and doing various minor changes to his paint applications and such to get him looking a little nicer, cleaner, etc. I've circled parts that I've changed and placed a number beside the circle, and I'm going to spell out next to a numbered list which corresponds to the numbered circles to explain in detail what all was done to each area so you can see what all I've done.

[​IMG]

1.)I painted the central headcrest silver, and if you look closely, I also painted the nose and tiny parts of the face that show above the mouthplate silver.

2.)I used alcohol on a cotton swab to remove the silly blue paint from his shoulder, painted the detailing silver, and added small reprolabels in the middle (these don't show at all in alt mode!)

3.)On his forearms, I used alcohol on a cotton swab to remove the yellow off the square part, so the yellow isn't drowning out the reds. Now he has just enough yellow to hommage the cartoon g1 prime, or mp-01.

4.)I used a lot of silver to cover all the unpainted grey plastic, and to make the central yellow ap much smaller. I didn't want to remove it entirely, cause its a nice nod to MP01.

5.)I painted the entirety of the thighs in silver, as well as the yellow aps on the kneecaps.

6.)I detail painted the "pump" piece of the exhaust rifle, one it makes the gun look nicer, and two it helps the altmode.

7.)I painted red details on the toes as a further nod to not only mp-01, but the original toy as well (sortof represents taillights).

8.)I painted the molded lines around the chest/windshield area, including the windshield wipers. I LOVED that look on MP01!

[​IMG]

1.)As I mentioned previously, I detail painted the exhaust gun. Now you can see how it impacts the alt-mode.. now the Stacks are mostly silver from the front and not only from behind.

2.)I painted all of the truck's grill and bumper with silver paint.

[​IMG]

1.)I even painted the tiny trim around the side cab windows with silver. I liked that look on MP01 and wanted to keep it.

-Andy

EDIT: here's a pair of shots with no editing so you can see the overall look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Nice job! I had to grab my Prime to compare him to yours (mine's still sealed, so I can't TF'em). That silver grill and bumper really help out the look (the original gray plastic looks kinda cheapo). The silver window outlines also help to bring out the detail (those lines are really fine too, kudos). The finish touches also help his bot mode to look more G1 without looking overdone. Looks like you knew just where to stop! Nice.

3. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

It looks really nice. :thumb 

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Damn, that's some steady hand you have...

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

How in gods name did you paint the trim around the windows? It's so friggin thin!

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always wondered why they did not paint the bumper and grill silver to begin with. It looks silly with all the other silver paint on him. Does painting th bumper and grill cause them to rub and wear the paint? I thought about painting mine too.

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Looks pretty good buddy :rock 

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    :lol  I used a roseart colorsharp metallic marker. they have a regular, and a fine tip on each end. I was VERY careful! haha I had to cotton-swab a coupla goofs the first time, then go back and redo those spots... it definitely took some concentration!

I've transformed him several times and I've yet to notice a single spot of wear anywhere :D  The best part is in vehicle form, he still is in disguise, since the shoulders rotate before flipping back... and the faction stickers look like they were meant to be there with the silver trim on each side of that location :thumb 

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Cool...I love that just plain old testors silver matches the silver that hasbro uses on their toys.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice detailing!

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    editted the first post to include non-edited pictures for clearer viewing.

12. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Hey Andy, did you know that in Bot mode you can flip the bumper back even more so that it's perpendicular to Prime's back?

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks damn good! Not so sure about the silver window trim though. It looks great on some figures, but I'm not feeling it as much on this one.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Looks great man, need to touch mine up sometime.

Ive been getting those fine & ultra fine markers in the crafts section at Walmart. The paint is'nt as good as Testors but it does the job. Those ultrafine work well for panellining.
    Id be screwed without those painmarkers. :lol  My brush hairs get all fro-like and it's hard for me to do details with them. There's always that one hair that goes out of line.

15. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Great jorb! Those are some excellent changes, and I love the way the shoulders look! The silver details make up for the lack of arm-mounted smokestacks.

Oh, and I've found that Tamiya's Flat Aluminum XF-16 is a perfect match for the factory silver used on Transformers. I'm sure someone else has probably mentioned that before, but I thought I would since the Testors paint was mentioned.

That reminds me of when I would detail my toys as a kid. For really fine details, I created a single-hair brush using one of my hairs and a mechanical pencil. Unscrew the tip of the pencil's barrel, clip the hair in the lead holder, and then slip the tip back over the hair and screw it in. Perfect for dropping paint into very small areas.

Thanks to all you customizers and kitbashers out there, I'm getting back into detailing my TFs! And now I know what kinds of paints to use so I don't end up with gummy bits and stains on the toys. :D 

16. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

redline, had to copy your work a bit. hope you dont mind being idolized for your keen ability for improving the already kick-ass classics!

i got home and immediately opened prime, grabbed my trusty testor's silver paint marker and made about half the improvements you made.

head crest, knee pads, shin vents.

he looks ok with those by themselves. it was just a bit too much yellow.
    i also followed the MP convoy style of the silver shin vents. i like the look so i went for it.

i need to dig out my red paint marker, then i'll do the toes/tailights.
    not worried about his stacks/pistol since he will spend 95% of his life on my shelf in bot mode.

he's a fun one to improve!
    good start for a n00b kitbasher like me!
    (only transformer i have done before this is reprolabels on alt jazz!)

i also saw they had classics megatron but i held out. gotta get a redline edition!
    you need cash up front? or wait until you're done? not sure how this works.
    let me know!
    thanks!

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks excellent! :thumb 

18. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that's not necessary man. I just was waiting cause you said you'd PM me :lol  I didnt' want to start on it until I knew for sure that you were serious in wanting one! :)  I'll start on him pretty soon then.

-Andy

PS. just take a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol (found in most pharmacy depts, 91%) you can rub off paint super easily with it. that's how I removed the blue on prime's shoulders before I detailed them silver and added the autobot stickers... that's also how I removed the yellow on the square above the gun looking bit on the forearms.

19. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

pretty sweet man. nicely done.