Minor/Repaint: Classics OP & Megs Aftermath

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by motunercustoms, Aug 3, 2009.

1. motunercustoms

motunercustoms Banned

I picked up a couple of the classics 2 packs cheap and wanted to battle damage one set. I tried not to go as far as I did with Sunstreaker. It was still fun and I think they turned out pretty good. I have a few tweaks for both, but for the most part they are finished. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I like parts of the battle damage, but I think you may have gone a little overboard.

I think less bullet holes would have been better, but the bigger area is the scarring. There is a fine line between putting scar marks and then making it look like torn up plastic. Its easy to take it too far and lose some realism in the scar marks.

I think some black carbon scoring would help break up some of the damage as well.

3. cyclonus666

cyclonus666 target master

I agree with Boggs6ft7, if you add a little matte black to the damage it will look more realistic but other than that it looks great

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    ^ I agree with both of them. The tools you used to do the battle damage seem to be too large for the scale of the figures. The bullet holes are too big and there are just too many of them. Optimus' face looks like it's melting plastic.

As for the paintjob, I also think that some matte black burn effects would do wonders to add realism. As it is, there is too much silver drybrushing that it kinda looks like both figures are frozen in ice rather than having their paint scuffed. :) 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, the good thing about the mold choices is that those molds are still pretty available, should you want to approach this project again. I think what's going on here is that the battle damage looks too consistent. I don't think it's "overboard" at all (really? Just look at some of TheTranstorture's work and then bounce back into this thread). I think if you vary some of the damage up a bit more and then paint some details inside the damage (sometimes a simply black wash does the trick), I think you'll have something that's super nice.

I'd also recommend using some battle damage mech reference and some machine wreck photos while you create your damage. To see how things really look always will inspire your mind on a subtle level. :) 

Also, note that I'm arguing the difference between "better" and "best" here. I really think you're on to something very cool with these. The comments in this thread here I can see simply trying to keep you pushing your envelope.

6. motunercustoms

motunercustoms Banned

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone. I am still fairly new to this and am looking to become better. Your advice will help me do that. I added a black wash over the battle damage details. I think it breaks up the colors pretty well. I have added 2 new picks of Prime after the wash. Again, let me know what you think. Thanks again.