Minor/Repaint: Classics Omnibot Overdrive - NEW PICTURES - 10/25/08

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Satomiblood, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

8-16-08
    As some of you know, I gave up on the Cybertron Menasor custom a while ago. I'm thinking of a few things to work on instead. One of them is repainting my spare Classics Hot Rod into G1 Overdrive.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/toys/Classics/Autobots/Rodimus/

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/g1/overdrive/643/1/10/
    http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/g1/overdrive/643/1/29/

The vehicle modes are almost the same. All I'd have to do is remove the spoiler. BUT part of the spoiler could be converted into wings for the doors as seen below.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/g1/overdrive/643/1/24/

Thoughts? Anyone?

8-21-08
    I started work on this project the other night. I clipped off the spoiler wings and kept the rest of the plastic in tact so it still holds in vehicle mode. This is more or less a nod to REDLINE's Dead End.

I plan on making the wings detachable so I may use Lego pieces for this as opposed to making an extra joint.

I'll be uploading pictures sometime between today and the weekend.

8-25-08
    Digibash courtesy of maximus_primal.

9-9-08
    I just uploaded a digibash of the proposed robot mode courtesy of maximus_primal. This is more for paint applications than actual mods. The engine may or may not be intact when finished and I plan on giving the head a visor of some kind.

9-11-08
    So I decided to go ANOTHER route with the wings. MAGNETS. Yes, I used some rare earths from a set of Magnetix (melted the plastic), drilled holes in an extra pair of Rodimus arms I had small enough for a snug fit. So yes, the wings can be attached and removed quickly and with ease.

After this, I'll be giving the engine a hood (props to REDLINE for the idea) and giving him a proper visor.

Any tips on removing the head or should I just keep it in tact? I don't really feel like dealing with pin removal for fear of breaking the figure.

p.s. I promise to add new WIP pics. There was no point keeping the old ones up if I re-did the method.

9-13-08
    Here are the WIP pics as promised. You can see that I've added a hood scoop as inspired by the likes of REDLINE and Sculpt-Bot. I've also inserted magnets into the holes I added. I applied sculpt over the exhaust pipes as well. These will be sanded down.

You can also see that I uploaded a picture of the visor I gave him.

9-15-08
    Once I sand the trim and hood scoop down, I guess I'll be venturing into paint.

There was a little hangup with the wings, which can wait until the end, but at least the magnets are in place in the forearms.

9-18-08
    Finished priming him lastnight. Now I'm thinking about color distribution.

A few things to consider:
    1. Black or red hood scoop?
    2. Chrome silver feet?
    3. Painted windows?
    9-23-08
    Three new WIP pics added

10-23-08
    Hard to believe it's been a month since the last update. I feel like such a tease. Needless to say, I'd say he's 95% complete. Just need to paint and configure the wings. But screw it, I'll give you pics tonight. It's time I deliver on something I set out to do. My apologies for sitting on it the last few weeks.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Hmm. Are you gonna strip the whole thing and repaint it for a universal red?

3. Satomiblood

I was going to paint over it. But now that you mention this, I was wondering if you could tell me how.

4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Prowl mold seems like it would be a better choice. Yeah, Hot Rod's vehicle is closer looking to Overdrive's, but the transformation of the Prowl mold is much closer

5. Satomiblood

Shut up. I'm kidding BTW.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

This is going to sound odd, and I know a lot of people HATE this mold..... but I've always thought the Cybertron Crosswise/Smokescreen mold would make a good Overdrive.

It has the same wide car-hood-chest, over a somewhat thin robot body. He has big panels sticking off his upper arms, like Overdrive's wings. His face has a visor already, and his pop-out cannons are reminiscent of Overdrive's Omnibot weapons. Plus, the Veyron on which Crosswise is based is a more analogous exotic car to Overdrive's original Ferrari mode.

Also, you could get a dominantly-red version of the mold just by stripping the paint off Smokescreen. Plus, though many people lump Smokescreen, Jolt, and Botcon Jazz and Ricochet into their Classics displays, there hasn't really been an official inclusion of this mold in the Classics/Universe line.... so he'll provide some variety to the Prowl/Rodimus molds.

So, I dunno, that's my $.02. I think Rodimus could work fine as well.... but he's pretty distinctive AS Rodimus, especially if you leave him red. Re-painting him in a brighter red, though, and losing all the orange and flames, would definitely change the look of the figure.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oops, sorry, just re-read your original post and saw that you have an extra Rodimus you're trying to use. Heh. Well, in that case, yeah, I'd say go for it! Although it you want another completely unsolicited opinion, I think the Rodimus mold would also make a great Chromedome. :) 

7. Satomiblood

Yea, I plan on painting him the same colors as the original (bright red, black and silver). I removed the spoiler and will be relocating the wings. I also plan on including some kind of visor in the head sculpt as well as weapons reminiscent of the original.

I just think Rodimus' vehicle mode reminds me a lot of the original.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ah, that's cool! Sounds good! The vehicle modes are very similar.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I was curious if you were gonna try to just remove the flames, and keep the red. Sure, in PM.

10. Satomiblood

Oh, I plan on repainting him altogether. Would you still recommend the alcohol just to remove the flames?

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, with just a q-tip though, and 71%. But it will look a lot better entirely repainted.

12. Satomiblood

If someone could do a digi-bash, that'd be great. I'd appreciate it.

13. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Sounds great. I feel inspired by your idea. Can't wait to see it. And yes the 71% alcohol works great on removing the flames. That's what I did for my DeadEnd.

14. Satomiblood

What would you recommend for the windows? Painted or left as is?

p.s. Classics Jetfire's gun could work as a weapon

15. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I would leave as is, at least until it's done and then if it didn't look right then paint them (I personally hating having to paint windows).

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I'd try the old sharpie trick, to make them darker, but I wouldn't put paint on them.

17. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would try to tint them as well, would look pretty sweet.

18. Satomiblood

Just a simple black sharpie?

19. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I just sent you a PM with the digi of the car mode. Hopefully it is what you were looking for.

20. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Thanks for the props. Can't wait to see the final product.