Minor/Repaint: Classics Omnibot Downshift

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by optimusfan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    <Edit - 2014> Classics Overdrive and Camshaft are also complete. Group shots here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/988345-classics-omnibot-camshaft.html#post11213036

Hey everyone, I'm working on finishing up my first custom and wanted to share. I was inspired by Sculpt-bot's Downshift quite a while back. I picked up a cheap Wheeljack, a TFTM07 Longarm (thanks spliffdizzle), some Rustoleum for plastic spray paint, a Dremel, and got to work.

I removed Wheeljack's stripes using 91% rubbing alcohol. Doing so on the roof of the car forces you to also strip off all the white down to the bare clear plastic, so the entire portion of that car was painted from scratch. I was also unable to save the rear side and rear window, so those were removed and painted from scratch as well. Spray painting was done in probably 10 extremely light single-pass coats over the course of many hours, which I think yielded outstanding results.

I left some of white in the ridges on his forehead as I thought it made the head a little more visually interesting. I also (obviously) left the tampoed Autobot symbol on his head for the same reason. The eyes were hand-painted.

I'm incredibly thrilled with the way that it turned out. I still have some small green staining to clean out of a couple of ridges and I'm considering reinforcing the neck, but other than that it is done.

Lastly, many thanks to ServO for talking me through some of the finer points of picking and using the Dremel, along with many other tips. Thanks!!! :thumb 

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. kmoua7

kmoua7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great work Opfan! I'm almost inspired to try it, almost.

3. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

this is sweet! I might just have to give this a go.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice job man, and am i the only one missing the irony of that for years, people used (Energon) Downshift to makeWheeljack customs, and now (hopefully) we'll see more people using Wheeljack to make Downshift. Things come full circle, man

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :thumbs2: 

6. battle7

battle7 Well-Known Member

It beckons for an Overdrive and Camshaft custom to go alongside it. Nice job!

7. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    OMG dude! You've been teasing me with little pics of this guy for a while, and I've been really excited to see this with a proper Radicon thread! Your paint looks OUTSTANDING!!!
    I can't wait to see what you do with the other Omni Bots!
    I am just so impressed with your work on this figure! Do you take commissions?

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This is a damn fine rendition of Downshift! I love the straightforward approach... it looks simple, yet gorgeously complete.

Is it wrong that I like this mold so much more for Downshift, Battlechargers and Throttlebotsd than I do for Wheeljack and Tracks?

zmog

9. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Thinking about it!

Thanks guys! :) 

Oh stop. :lol 

10. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    Seriously tho...the little bits of green...I kind of like them.

11. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    you did a good job of matching the whites man, just got finished doing something like this myself for a runamuck

this mold is so dam versitile and that head is great

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Looks good. Do you have plans for his Omnibot brothers?

13. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Looks damn good!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    One of us! One of us! :D 

This guy came out exceptionally well! Nice work :thumb 

15. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nice!!!

16. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

This looks great. I'm very tempted to do one of my own.

17. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

Hi Optimusfan, your Downshift looks great. I'm trying to turn a Wheeljack into a Runamuck and was wondering if you painted the hood at all with the Rustoleum or did you get it that clean solely by stripping it? I've soaked mine in the old standby 91% alcohol for hours as well and it looks like the stripes may be faintly dyed into the plastic. I can't see a hint of red or green left over on your hood. Also, what if any tape did you use for the spray coats on the roof?

Awesome homage to Downshift all the way around.

18. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I was able to strip all the paint off the figure using just 91% alcohol as well, other than in some of the nooks and crannies. One of those spots was in the air intakes on his hood, which I had planned to paint anyway so it wasn't a big deal. It wasn't easy, and like you I had mind soaking overnight at least once.

Also try doing the trick where you wet a paper towel in alcohol, then paste it to the hood and maybe add a little more alcohol. Let it sit for maybe 10-15 min, then rub with a paper towel or cotton ball. Repeat. I did that as well on both of my figures and it seems to somehow work better than just letting it soak for hours. I think you need the combination of the alcohol and the friction from rubbing to really get it clean.

As far as tape I only use the 3M Scotch blue painters tape. You're definitely going to need to mask with something to get straight lines.

19. ZombieBalls

ZombieBalls Drives fast

Thanks for the advice, I finally eliminated the hood stripes. I did the usual soaking earlier along with the soaked paper towel pasted on, which seems to be very good for the first run at the paint. While I do like the method, it was still refusing to go away completely even with all that and the elbow grease. I did try the pink eraser someone mentioned in another post, and it seems to be useful as well. Lastly though, I gave up on regular paper towels for these Kleenex "hand towels" & alcohol and it seemed to take it all the way. These "hand towels" are just thick and grittier paper towels in a box. My one concern is they may leave scuffs on dark plastic, but as for Wheeljack, they did good.

When I saw your Downshift, I knew I had to paint the hood intakes (gold in my case) since they're never going to be 100% clean. Also thanks for letting me know about the 3M blue tape. I've seen it before, but was never sure it'd actually work for this type of work.

20. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Absolutely spectacular work!