Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme WIP part 6/Final: The Arms (3-25-08)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 25, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    OK, this is my last WIP thread on this project. This is the part I think pretty much everyone has been waiting to see based on replies in the other WIP threads. hehehe

First, a normal Metroplex arm (other than I already had unscrewed the static thumb):

[ATT]3362[/ATT]

I ground the crap out of his arm so that it would fit inside the original OS arms. They have to be rectangular, and pretty much just went to town until I started getting them close, and making sure I kept everything centered with the elbow joint. I had to grind all four sides, as well as shorten the length a bit too.

[ATT]3363[/ATT]

As you can see, the forearms on Metroplex are just one single piece, and is mostly air, with some criss-cross patterns of plastic strips for structural integrity. So I couldn't just leave them like this. I used a lot of putty to fill in all these gaps, and to make the stumpy arms look better. For fun, I also added a pair of cut styrene tubes to both arm's ends. This not only homages the original OS's inner-forearms, but adds exhaust pipes to the tank-mode, fully articulated turrets to the base-mode, and gives him big guns for self-defense/destruction even if he shoots off one of his arms at someone.

[ATT]3365[/ATT]

Nothing really complicated on this portion, just a lot of grinding, and then being careful to keep the putty as even as possible, to reduce how much sanding needs to be done to finish it all off.

Voila!

[ATT]3364[/ATT]

And just for fun, I posed it up as he is standing on my desk (I actually did the arms before I did the Gantry, but I knew people would care more about these than that, even though that was a LOT harder to create). I havn't done the sanding to them yet in these pictures, but I did start on my sandings today. I've sanded the tubes on the head, the inner side of the treads, all around the gantry, and started on the arms. One is almost done, the other I've not started on. I had to go back and do a bunch of extra work on the treads (see that WIP thread for details) so I didn't get as much time to sand on things as I had hoped to today.

[ATT]3366[/ATT]

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 2: The Treads
    WIP Part 3: The Head
    WIP Part 4: The Turret
    WIP Part 5: The Gantry/Launch Tower

Attached Files:

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work so far, can't wait to see it finished.

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Really starting to look like big ole Omega. :D 

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Impressive, my man. Impressive.

5. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

Nice, thats going to be good. That had to be painful for the model what you did to the arms

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    "Gah!!!! My arms! My ARMS!!!!"

:lol 

(Looking good buddy :thumb )

7. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Omega is now armed and dangerous! The results are sure to please!

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I hope so :)  Thanks for the comments, guys. I should be able to start taking him apart tomorrow, sanding joints as I do so. Not sure how long it will take me, but I'm currently off work for the next two days, so I hope to be able to begin painting him before the weekend comes around.

I will have to be striping the wings on my commission sometime over the next day or two, as well.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Perfect fit bud :thumb 

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I took me 5 days to get all the modifications done, but its taken me two days just to get all the joints and wear-spots sanded :lol  arrrgh I hate sanding! Thankfully, I've made it past that stage, and he's fully disassembled. I just have to drill 10 starter holes, actually install 6 screws in 6 of those, and then mask of some spot before he can begin his final transformation.

I've decided to go a different direction with the paint aps. I was searching for some cartoon images of him, just to see how they did his side yellow piece since there's really not a good place on this figure to emulate that. I came across a nice picture of the OS Statue from a year or so ago, and decided that I'd rather paint this up more like that. I feel it'd make a nice update to his paint scheme, and make him a little less gaudy looking with the bright yellow being orange-washed. I've never done a wash before, but I've always wanted to, so I guess the time is now, eh?

Omega Supreme Statue: http://bp2.blogger.com/_G96gxvrHqrE...o/AdqpMBiRbWA/s1600-h/OmegaSupremeStatue1.jpg

11. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    I can't wait to see this one!

Are you going Gloss or Flat colors?

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    My paints are all glossy, but I've not yet decided if I want to clear coat it with semi-gloss or with matte.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Well, I'm almost there! I've painted him, reassembled him, and given his yellow parts a nice thin orange-wash (my first!). All I have left to do is clearcoat him (its going to suck having to wait to handle it :lol ) and attach his wings. the wings are done, but I re-did the connection point on his back because the hinges don't fold completely flat and therefore in wing-mode, they were horribly angled forward. That'll be cured before the clearcoat is, so Once he's dried, he'll be ready for a photo-op. :) 

Its already driving me nuts.. I love his colors, he turned out so well, and its not often that I'm nearly this excited about my own work (definitely my own worst critic) so that ought to say something.

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This guy is rockin Andy, keep up the great updates.

15. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I cant wait to see the finished product this looks tough so far

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    probably tomorrow ;) 

17. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

no april's fool?!!! Better be tomorrow!!!

18. REDLINE

News Credits:

:lol  nope, no foolin'. Unless something unexpected crops up tomorrow, then I will be shooting his photo-gallery. I admit, its tempting to wait a few days for his Autobot symbols to arrive, though!