Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme WIP part 5: The Launch Gantry (3-24-08)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 24, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that possibly the reason this thread has had so few replies is that a lot of people probably have no clue wtf a gantry/launch tower is and so that's why they aren't commenting. So, Click this link to see images of various launch towers:

http://images.google.com/images?q=launch+tower&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&hl=en

OK, this was the most involved part of my Omega Supreme project. First, I began with this cheap Tonka electronic Firetruck:

[ATT]3307[/ATT]

I removed the extendable ladder, and planned to use the two parts (the base and the part that slides out) by flipping the extension piece over, so that it would make a full 4-sidded square. I measured how tall I wanted my Gantry (launch tower) to be first, and sawed the ladder at this point:

[ATT]3308[/ATT]

I flipped the extension piece over just to see how it'd look:

[ATT]3309[/ATT]

Next, I measured how far down this could hang off his back without it interfering with transformation into his tank-mode, marked it off, and cut the gantry at that point. I then cut some sheet styrene (.80) into tiny little squares that would just fit in-between the rungs of the ladder so that I'd be able to glue some Dubro airline hinges that would allow me to have the upper portion of the Gantry split and fold out into wings to give his robot mode a nicer look, and a better homage.

[ATT]3310[/ATT]

Here's what it looked like with the cut and the pieces all in place:

[ATT]3311[/ATT]

I then glued the afore-mentioned hinges over the blocks. In this next picture you can see the hinges in place, and also see that there's a single block up at the "top" (left end) of one of the two sides of the gantry, as I will have a top piece hinged there. The two shorter pieces that make up the base of the tower were glued together at this point.

[ATT]3312[/ATT]

At this point, I cut a large square from the same thick sheet of styrene, one that would fit over the top of the gantry, and nearly be a perfect fit, save for one side. This one side overhangs the other half of the gantry, and I cut a strip of styrene that I then glued under the large square, so that it would act as a latch of sorts, keeping the gantry halves together when they are in their tower mode. If I hadn't done this, then gravity would make it want to unfold into the wings. This next picture shows it standing up, with the lid and everything installed already.

[ATT]3313[/ATT]

This next picture shows a better look at the top of the gantry, and you can not only see the "latch", but also see that I've drawn on the top surface of it. What this is is I measured the connector that I'd installed inside of the tank turret earlier (see my WIP thread part 4) that allows it to connect to the large rotating connector on Metroplex's back, so that its in position for his tank-mode, and then penciled it in the center of the top of the tower, so I'd be able to see where to apply Apoxie putty to allow the same turret to connect to the top of the tower for when he is transformed into his base-mode.

[ATT]3314[/ATT]

Lastly, I applied the previously mentioned putty to the top where I had marked its proper location with pencil. I shaped it up using my putty knife, and then I took the turret and dabbed some water all over the pegs on the connector piece inside so that I could use it to make my peg-holes in the putty. Placing water over the piece keeps the putty from sticking to it. :)  I did this carefully and gently, making sure that I not only got my peg-holes squared up properly, but also so that I made nice clean indentions, and so that they would be properly leveled. If you press too hard and rough, you'll still get the part to stick despite the water. This next picture shows the putty:

[ATT]3315[/ATT]

Lastly, I needed something to keep the sucker in its proper position when in wing-mode, as the parts are simply hinged, so gravity would just keep wreaking havoc if I didn't do something to address the issue. So, I cut a strip of styrene measured to be of proper length so that I could basically hook one wing to the other, thus keeping them properly spaced apart. I then took one of the thumbs from Metroplex (he obviously doesn't need them as Omega Supreme hehehe) and glued it to one end of this strip, and then rolled a small amount of putty between my fingers to make a tube shape, and then curled it around one of the ladder rungs and then attached the two ends to the other side of the styrene strip.

The hook complete, my work on this part was done.... or was it? I actually overlooked this small but vital detail at first, and thank goodness I am making these nifty follow-alongs or I'd have missed it until I'd already painted everything! While the hook does indeed work in keeping the wings spread apart like I wanted, there was a problem: One wing was heavier than the other thanks to the chunk of putty I had applied to the top of the tower for connecting the turret, so the wings would swing over to the side until one of them hit the base! Thankfully this solution was really quite simple. I merely cut a small square of measured styrene, looked at the angle of the wings, and chopped one side off so that it would have the same angle, and glued it onto the inner surface of the lighter wing, thus acting as a stopper. When the weight of the heavier wing tries to make them swing over to that side, the stopper prevents it from going anywhere.

Here is my last picture on this portion of my project, and it shows the gantry unfurled into its wing-mode as it will be on omega Supreme's back when he is in robot-mode. You can see the hook I made, and the stopper piece, as well as the hinges that it will be attached to his back with. I hope you guys enjoyed this portion of my project, and appreciate that it was something that seemed to be a simple task, yet in actuality turned out to be a bit complicated!

Oh, and one last thing: I do still have minor work, sanding the putty and other spots to get them to be in their finished form, but the real work is done for this piece.

[ATT]3316[/ATT]

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 2: The Treads
    WIP Part 3: The Head
    WIP Part 4: The Turret
    WIP Part 6/Final: The Arms

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This piece is really shaping up man :thumb 

3. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    you going to smooth out those edges. :p 

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    lol :stick:  as it says in the post, of course! :p 

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Nice brain storming there. ;) 

6. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

cant wait to see this thing. drooling here, dude.

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I've edited the first post to include a link to images of various designs of real-world launch-towers/gantries to help clarify what exactly I'm going for here.

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Ahhhhh!!!...I had no idea what a gantry was, but thanks to some new education, I know!!

now I know what it is I'm looking at.....and I'd say its shaping up nicely :thumb 

:D 

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Awesome, Redline. Drooling in anticipation.

10. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Awesome idea man! It's a great way to make a more realistic gantry than what the original Omega had, and you make it into his wings too? Wow, that is nuts man. You're gonna have the best Omega custom to date!

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Thanks guys :)  I dunno about the best, though, as VP's certainly is something to compete against. lol

12. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice. :D