Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme WIP part 4: The Turret (3-23-08)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 23, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, I have finished making the Tank turret/BFG. I started out with the turret from the same model tank that I had chopped up to use the treads for this project, and a really really old junker golf putter. Just to show you basically what I'm doing here, I have a silly concept image. Keep in mind that the turret will sit OVER the round rotating connector on Metroplex's back, and not ABOVE it, so it will look much better than this simply concept image!

[ATT]3257[/ATT]

The first thing I did was to take the putter and I used my dremel and chopped off a 6 inch section right at the bottom of the rubber grip.

[ATT]3258[/ATT]

Just to let you get an idea of scale here, I have a picture of the parts lying on the ground with the treads:

[ATT]3259[/ATT]

Next, I grabbed the large axe weapon from Metroplex and I cut off one of the two connector sections that allow it to peg onto Metro's back. I then filled the tank turret about 1/3 full with Apoxie putty, and then pressed the chopped off connector piece into the putty, and then made sure that it was level in all directions, and also squared off with the small plastic tank turret too. I also put a thin piece of putty under the front of the turret, a resting point for the barrel, for additional support.

[ATT]3260[/ATT]

I then took a 1/16th drill bit and drilled a tiny hole in the thick portion of the barrel, where it rotates up and down, so that I could stick in a short piece of 1/16th inch metal rod for some strength and support (since the barrel I'm using is not only metal, but a lot heavier than the really tiny one that came on it).

[ATT]3261[/ATT]

And finally, I put a batch of more Apoxie putty down in the barrel after I ground the larger end a bit to better fit against the angled turret front, and then carefully pressed this against the rod and plastic barrel of the turret so that they would slide up into the putty, and then left it to cure. This is the final result:

[ATT]3262[/ATT]

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 2: The Treads
    WIP Part 3: The Head
    WIP Part 5: The Gantry
    WIP Part 6/Final: The Arms

Attached Files:

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks like you're on "par" with this custom Redline....:lol 

*bad joke, I know, just couldn't help myself*

:thumb 

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I can't wait to see this finished.

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I think I'm as excited to see it finished as anyone :lol  ...I think that's why I've blazed through this thing like a man obsessed. It will actually take me longer to paint it than it has to remake it!

hehehe you want some butter for that corn, old man? :p 

5. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

While you may not be playing minature golf with that putter gain, it looks like the sacrifice is worth it. I never would have thought of using a friggin' golf club for any of my customs. Impressive!

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Well, I have to admit that I wasn't either, at first. I went to the major toy places and struck out in finding a really big gun barrelt that didn't also have a silly iron sight on the end. The closest thing I'd found was this scale model kit that had a hand-held rocket launcher. But that was still only 5 inches long and I really felt that with the size of the tank mode that it would look a LOT better if I could find something that was at least 6 inches long. I came home disgruntled and was pacing around the house trying to figure out what to do. I somehow ended up in the basement, and started turn the place inside-out hoping to get lucky, and I guess I did :) 

7. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Very nicely done, can't wait to see it finished. :D