Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme WIP part 3: The Head (3-22-08)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 22, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    The back of the head of Megalo Convoy/Metroplex already has a nice strong Omega Supreme vibe to it, but I wanted to take it further, and go all the way. First, I removed the screw in the back, and the head splits in two, with the two antennae falling out. I then chopped the antennae off right above the elbow. I put one in my parts bucket, and the other I barely shaved off a tad shorter, so that it wouldn't be too long in the end of things. I then ground his face off, and the two ridged on the top of the helmet.

[ATT]3097[/ATT]
    [ATT]3098[/ATT]

I then took the shortened antennae I still had out and cut me a really short piece of 1/16th metal rod, and glued ot across the end in a "T" shape. Next, I mixed up a batch of Apoxie Sculpt and filled in over what used to be his face, cut a channel up the center, and then carefully pressed the "T" dead in the middle of this to leave a cut-out impression. More on that later.

[ATT]3099[/ATT]

I turned the head around and used half of the remaining putty and rolled it up between my fingers, and squished one end over the stub "elbow" that used to be an antennae, and then curved it around to the front of the helmet (used to be the back of it when it was a metroplex) and pressed it there, then smoothed it out, and repeated this process for the other side. I was careful not to overlap the screw-hole in the center, as I still had to place the head back onto the body.

[ATT]3100[/ATT]

After letting the sculpt putty to cure, I will then re-attached the head to the torso after painting it, and then make a really small sample of fresh putty and made a square shape over the screwhole, thus connecting the two tubes I'd made earlier in order to complete the look of Omega Supreme's face.

[ATT]3185[/ATT]

The portion of the helmet that used to be a face, and I had covered with putty is the turret half of his head now. that "T" is the barrel. All that remains for the head to be 100% is to paint the barrel red before I slide it back into the impression I made when everything was still soft, at which time I will cover the two side channels that the pin resides inside of with a very very small dose of putty to seal it inside so it can't fall off.

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 2: The Treads
    WIP Part 4: The Turret
    WIP Part 5: The Gantry
    WIP Part 6/Final: The Arms

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I should add that you can see its not really "done", but its fully modded until after I start painting everything. I also still have to do some sanding on the putty that makes the tubbing for the face, but this thread shows all the modding required to replicate what I have done. :) 

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Attention to detail is a beautiful thing. This is really going to be a nice one, Red.

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that is one thing that I strive to do is nail little details. :)  I believe that its the small details that truly make a piece (custom or otherwise) so I strive to do the same with my own!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This head is really rocking! So much fun . . . :) 

Keep on rockin man! :thumb 

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Its shaping up pretty nicely, Redline. Keep us posted on OS.

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Whoa!....man, nice eye for the unseen :thumb 

Fantastic work my friend :D 

8. Sideways

Sideways Banned

looks good redline... by the way, megalo is greek for big... FYI.

9. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

It looks like a nice simple mod. You sure make this custom look easy!