Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme WIP part 2: The Treads (3-21-08)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Mar 21, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Firstly, I chopped off the minicon ports on the outsides of the legs, and then ground the plastic WAY down, so that it was a nice smooth surface, ripe for gluing. I have a model tank that I've butchered. I disassembled that, and then cut the sides off, for the treads. I also removed the turret. The treads have since been cut in half, roughly in the center. The font half will be glued to the lower knee joint, while the rear half will be attached via airline hinge so that when you transform him into robot-mode they can flip out and hang over the front half's treads. This is necessary because of clearance issues.

[ATT]3094[/ATT]
    [ATT]3095[/ATT]

I had originally hoped to simply have both halves glued onto the legs, and when in robot mode, they'd simply be "stacked" above and below each other. The problem is, in order to have the treads low enough that they touch the ground in tank mode, once transformed into robot-mode they collide. So I decided to simply add the hinge to one set so they'll conveniently fold out of the way, and not hinder anything at all.

[ATT]3096[/ATT]

I also filled in the "treads" that are molded into the feet of the original toy, so they won't look so much like treads, but then I won't have to grind them all the way off, and have a larger area to re-work. I won't be able to glue the actual treads onto the wheels until after its all painted up, unfortunately, or else the treads will lose their nice "real" look that they already have. So this is it for the treads for now.

[ATT]3132[/ATT]

I won't attach the hinged halves until after everything's painted on the legs and tread covers.

EDIT: I ran into a snag. I noticed when working on the Gantry/wings portion of this project that the airline hinges don't fold all the way flat, which means that as it is, the rear tread halves would be sticking out at an angle instead of lying flush against the leg. So I've had to go back, mark where the hinges are located, and grind out deep recesses for the hinges to go down inside of so that the treads will be able to sit flush. I then had to apply a small amount of putty down in these recesses to give myself a surface in which to glue the other side of the hinges to when I attach them after painting the legs. (the legs are hollow, so after grinding away deep enough you end up with a huge hole with nothing to glue the hinge to).

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 3: The Head
    WIP Part 4: The Turret
    WIP Part 5: The Gantry
    WIP Part 6/Final: The Arms

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The treads are going to make this custom look really cool man :thumb 

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I love to see bash done this intricately. I know you know your way around Illustrator, but if you need any decal help, let me know.

4. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Interesting...looking cool so far, Red...

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

This custom is shaping up to be very cool. I can't wait to see what else you done to complete your version of Omega Supreme.

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Thanks guys :)  He's really shaping up already. I have a lot of work to get done today, but I'll keep you updated of course.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    This looks great already, REDLINE. As always, your great work speaks for itself, man. Keep it up and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates and the completed project.

8. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Wow man, I had no idea adding the treads would be so involved. When you first told me about the idea, I thought you were just slapping them on. You really do quality work sir!

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I kinda wish I had gone that route, even though this way will certainly look better! I've edited the first post as I had run into a huge snag and I had to do more work to get around the issue, and wanted to document it in case anyone ever tries to use this for adding treads to any custom in the future, regardless of the base bot used.