Heavy/Scratch: Classics Omega Supreme Finished!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Apr 3, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've finally got the big lug all finished and photo'd up for everyone to see! Despite all the set-backs that I encountered from my dumb engineering oversights, I still thoroughly enjoyed creating this custom, all the way to the end. I imagine that that's thanks in large-part to how long of a drought I went through between my last customs (Menasor) and now. I've taken far more than these upcoming 10 images, but the rest will be saved for when he goes in the Board gallery, so that there's something cool to look forward to :) .

The paints that I used to complete this guy after all the modifications that I've done (I'll have links to each of the WIP threads for referencing in case anyone in the future wants to use any of the mods for the same project, or for a totally different project even) were the following:

• Model Master's Navy Aggressor Grey
    • Krylon Fusion Yellow(gloss)
    • Krylon Fusion Red Pepper(gloss)
    • Testors non-metallic Turn-signal Amber (for the orange-wash over all the yellows)
    • Rustoleum Almond (gloss)

I clear-coated the whole thing with Model Master's Semi-gloss.

Remember, I like to pay attention to small details whenever I'm coming up with a customs project, so try to pay attention in the pictures! ;)  yes the cannon can fully rotate. I chopped off a connector from the large bucket that comes with Metroplex, and stuffed Apoxie Sculpt into the model tank's turret, and then stuck the connector in that, making sure it was level in all respects so that it can utilize the rotating connector on his back.

[ATT]3818[/ATT]

This picture here was taken to show off a before and after comparison of the yellow paint that I gave the orange paint-wash to (this was my first time doing a paint-wash!) I wanted it to be really subtle, as I wanted it to still fit in with the Classics line, and not look hyper-detailed or dirty. I simply wanted to attain a nicer color, and also was trying to mimic the Diamond Select 12" Omega Supreme Statue's awesome color.

[ATT]3814[/ATT]

That sure is a BFG aint it? :lol  I think he likes the upgrade!

[ATT]3819[/ATT]

Classics OS is a triple-changer now. Its part of the de-partsforming process. hahaha Instead of a base that a tank rolls around limited to a track, now he can be both! Here's some pictures of his Tank mode. Yes, the turret is in the same place, so it has full rotation. Yes, the wings do interfere slightly, but not much as you can either A) unhook the wings to allow free-passage of the large barrel, or B) pop off the turret, and pop it back on just aft of the wings:

[ATT]3812[/ATT]

I just wanted to comment on the model tank's treads that I used. First, they ended up being a pretty nice headache for me, when I had initially thought they'd be a piece of cake. I chopped them all up,and permanently mounted via glue and screws the front halves, and had the back halves set on hinges that would be glued and screwed, allowing them to flip out to clear the front halves for robot mode and for the airbase mode. The problem is, the Dubro airline hinges don't fold completely flat when you fold them up. I had to take the rear halves and rework the legs to have nice big indentations so the half of the hinge that is attached to the leg would be angled INTO the leg, so when they're folded as far as they can, the treads would lay flush against the outside of the leg *whew*

Oh, one more thing, I LOVE all the detail on the treads, it really makes this mode pop!

[ATT]3813[/ATT]

Ok, on to his third mode! This is the Airbase mode. Here you can see his wings folded up and swung into their Gantry/launch tower position. As you can see, The tank turret can mount on top of the Gantry for a nice field of view. Unfortunately, it doesn't rotate, but you can at least have it facing either forward or aft. I love how it doesn't look like a tank folded up at all, even with the tread kibble under the ramp. The forearms were made not only to fit inside the original Omega Supreme arms, but they also homage his original arms as well, which in this case make really great fully articulated turrets!

[ATT]3815[/ATT]

This picture has Jetfire on the ramp ready for launch. You can also see the turrets are in a different position.

[ATT]3816[/ATT]

Iacon, we are go for launch!

[ATT]3817[/ATT]

Ok, I couldn't save ALL the "cool" images for the gallery! Although that idea certainly did appeal to my Decepticon heart. :ev:  This first image here I was trying to emulate this really cool picture I saved to my harddrive a long long time ago, of the original Omega Supreme holding up the original Devastator with his claw, pointing his gun at his head. I even photoshopped that old picture so that the lighting was dark, and his gun was glowing with a plasma-like energy as if he was just a moment before firing it off.

[ATT]3820[/ATT]

This final image that I leave you with I was trying to not just show off the size of the toy, but have a bit of a "cartoon moment". I wanted to convey how good a representation he was even in the cartoon sense, even though I do believe he'd still need to be bigger. This picture is also cool because it shows that Prime can arch his back some-what, and also REALLY conveys just how darned articulated MY Omega Supreme is! I hope you guys have enjoyed my pictures, I actually put a lot of effort to try not to have a "cookie-cutter" photo-shoot!

I can't believe after the way I tackled this project that this is still only my second modified toy that is more involved than a simple head-swap. :) 

[ATT]3821[/ATT]

I almost forgot! The links to the WIP threads for future referencing:

WIP Part 1: The Beginning
    WIP Part 2: The Treads
    WIP Part 3: The Head
    WIP Part 4: The Turret
    WIP Part 5: The Gantry/Launch Tower
    WIP Part 6: The Arms

Attached Files:

2. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

That is an AWESOME transformer!! Omega was always one of my faves!!!..I cant seem to get your pic of the Omega/Dev photoshop battle to work though. :( 

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    oops! I fixed it, screwed up the link when I pasted it in!

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Awesome to nth, man. I thought we would have to wait a while before we saw him finished!!! Great work, Redline!

5. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Now this is something different. I like the combo launchpad/tank. Wonderfull!

6. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

This is gorgeous man! Seriously awesome job!

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

That is fantastic. I would love one. Your work is fantastic

8. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very very nice RL! Awesome job again!

9. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

OMG!!! That is incredible. Once I again I bow at your feet.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    wow RL that's fucking aWESOME. i can't wait to get to work to check out all the pics in detail.

11. Lunar_Convoy

Lunar_Convoy Special Ops Captain

The imagination and creativity of kitbashers on this site never ceases to amaze me. I'd definitely buy one of those bad boys

12. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    it turned out AWESOME!!!!!

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That did come out great Redline!....Fantastic job bud. :thumb 

I like where you placed the rubsign...looks like it was made for that area :D 

14. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not too keen on the head, it might be the tube and breathing apparatus thing looking too big. Other than that though it looks fantastic. Definitely very creative.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic.

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Simply Amazing Andy! Sorry I hadn't got to look at this before... you are the man!

17. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

Congratulations, man. You are seriously gifted. I'm dying with envy.

18. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

That is fantastic! You've seriously come a long way in your customizing. Keep it up :) 

19. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    So you think you're cool now, huh?

lol just kiddin.

This kicks so much ass, bro. If I had to pick anything about it that I didn't like, it would be the big gun. it needs detailing on the barrel, imo. But that is miniscule compared to the rest of the badassery. Great work, homie! :thumb 

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

All hail Omega Supreme! Redline, buddy you outdid yourself this is one impressive custom. I think that the turret and launch tower are kinda flawed , but that dwarfs of how awesomely badass looking this is. So to me the tank turret and the launch tower dont bother me as much it maybe flawed, but it helps bring out the creativity of this colossus. So congrats on that accomplishment.